Insurance Coverage and Divorce (TriCare)

vze2372e

In a nutshell, I am a parent to a 20 year old daughter with Cystic Fibrosis. She was always covered by my BC/BS in MA, with a secondary of MassHealth, and treated at Childrens-Boston. 18 months ago, her high school sweetheart joined the military and moved to Buckley AFB, Aurora CO. Jacqui decided to marry him and follow him to Colorado to live her own life. At that time, she was placed under TriCare as his spouse, and began recieving treatments at the University of Colorado and National Jewish.
In the months and years to follow, a pattern of physical abuse emerged - this was documented by the Army @ Buckley and he was removed on more than one ocassion from the domicile. In other words, his abuse is documented. This pattern has led to the both of them filing for divorce. In 90 days, she will lose her apartment.
The question is this, for anyone who has ever had to deal with insurance and divorce. Will her TriCare expire on the day of the divorce? What are her options in Colorado? Is there federal coverage for disabled adults such as herself? Can she mandate her soon to be ex to maintain health insurance considering the circumstances? I have never dealt with this - if anyone has information on that scenario specifically to TriCare, I'd love to hear that also.
ANY information is appreciated of course - I appreciate your time on this one, she is my only child and I am, for lack of a better word, heartbroken.
Thank you
Mike

vze2372e

In a nutshell, I am a parent to a 20 year old daughter with Cystic Fibrosis. She was always covered by my BC/BS in MA, with a secondary of MassHealth, and treated at Childrens-Boston. 18 months ago, her high school sweetheart joined the military and moved to Buckley AFB, Aurora CO. Jacqui decided to marry him and follow him to Colorado to live her own life. At that time, she was placed under TriCare as his spouse, and began recieving treatments at the University of Colorado and National Jewish.
In the months and years to follow, a pattern of physical abuse emerged - this was documented by the Army @ Buckley and he was removed on more than one ocassion from the domicile. In other words, his abuse is documented. This pattern has led to the both of them filing for divorce. In 90 days, she will lose her apartment.
The question is this, for anyone who has ever had to deal with insurance and divorce. Will her TriCare expire on the day of the divorce? What are her options in Colorado? Is there federal coverage for disabled adults such as herself? Can she mandate her soon to be ex to maintain health insurance considering the circumstances? I have never dealt with this - if anyone has information on that scenario specifically to TriCare, I'd love to hear that also.
ANY information is appreciated of course - I appreciate your time on this one, she is my only child and I am, for lack of a better word, heartbroken.
Thank you
Mike

robocoastie

It depends on how long they were married. The magic number for the military used to be at 10 years of marriage they become eligible to get a portion of his retirement pay when/if he retires from military. How that affects Tri-Care I dunno. She's probably out of luck. Probably another example of having to keep oneself poor so as to qualify for medicare/medicaid whichever one covers this.

Ask your county VA representative or local American Legion they'd know or at least know where to find the answer.

robocoastie

It depends on how long they were married. The magic number for the military used to be at 10 years of marriage they become eligible to get a portion of his retirement pay when/if he retires from military. How that affects Tri-Care I dunno. She's probably out of luck. Probably another example of having to keep oneself poor so as to qualify for medicare/medicaid whichever one covers this.

Ask your county VA representative or local American Legion they'd know or at least know where to find the answer.

CrisDopher

TriCare is basically only an active-duty and retiree benefit. Your daughter will need to seek insurance elsewhere, though she might be able to continue with TriCare for a limited time, such as 90 days. She needs to call Tricare and speak to a benefits manager.

CrisDopher

TriCare is basically only an active-duty and retiree benefit. Your daughter will need to seek insurance elsewhere, though she might be able to continue with TriCare for a limited time, such as 90 days. She needs to call Tricare and speak to a benefits manager.

Tobit

I Googled "tricare cobra" and found the following site: <a href="http://www.military-divorce-guide.com/benefits-cobra-health-care.htm">http://www.military-divorce-guide.com/benefits-cobra-health-care.htm</a>. COBRA allows for extension of medical benefits when you lose health insurance for a qualifying event, including divorce. TriCare's version of COBRA coverage is called the <strong>Continued Health Care Benefit Program</strong> (CHCBP).
At $1065 per quarter, it's not cheap, but it's similar to what we pay to have DW on my work plan, so it doesn't seem exhorbitant (to me anyway). You can keep the coverage for up to 3 years. But you must file for it within 60 days of the divorce to receive coverage, so make no delay. That website has links to the official website about CHCBP. Good luck!

Tobit

I Googled "tricare cobra" and found the following site: <a href="http://www.military-divorce-guide.com/benefits-cobra-health-care.htm">http://www.military-divorce-guide.com/benefits-cobra-health-care.htm</a>. COBRA allows for extension of medical benefits when you lose health insurance for a qualifying event, including divorce. TriCare's version of COBRA coverage is called the <strong>Continued Health Care Benefit Program</strong> (CHCBP).
At $1065 per quarter, it's not cheap, but it's similar to what we pay to have DW on my work plan, so it doesn't seem exhorbitant (to me anyway). You can keep the coverage for up to 3 years. But you must file for it within 60 days of the divorce to receive coverage, so make no delay. That website has links to the official website about CHCBP. Good luck!

Asexyblond23

My first marriage sadley ended in divorce and he was active duty army. There is a program with Tricare that she can go on but shee has to pay for it and she can use it for at least a year I think. Back in 05 it was $333 a month, but I kept my tricare prime and everything was still covered 100%. This may give her time to find something more permament

Asexyblond23

My first marriage sadley ended in divorce and he was active duty army. There is a program with Tricare that she can go on but shee has to pay for it and she can use it for at least a year I think. Back in 05 it was $333 a month, but I kept my tricare prime and everything was still covered 100%. This may give her time to find something more permament