Insurance Question?

HollyAnnsMom

Hi everyone! I have an insurance question and was hoping that someone could help. My husband has been employed with the company he is working for since before our little one was born so we have health insurance through this company, however he was offered a really good job today making twice what he is making now but the only concern that we have is the insurance. The company that offered him the new job does not have an insurance provider, they want you to pick your own health care plan and they will pay the premiums for him and our family. Do you think that we would be able to get private insurance with CF involved? Is there any way that we could keep our current insurance with COBRA or another program and the new company just take up the premiums??? Any advice at all would be great. I figured this was the best place to start before I tackled the insurance companies. This is an awesome opportunity for our family however we do not want to be without health insurance... Thanks in advance.

HollyAnnsMom

Hi everyone! I have an insurance question and was hoping that someone could help. My husband has been employed with the company he is working for since before our little one was born so we have health insurance through this company, however he was offered a really good job today making twice what he is making now but the only concern that we have is the insurance. The company that offered him the new job does not have an insurance provider, they want you to pick your own health care plan and they will pay the premiums for him and our family. Do you think that we would be able to get private insurance with CF involved? Is there any way that we could keep our current insurance with COBRA or another program and the new company just take up the premiums??? Any advice at all would be great. I figured this was the best place to start before I tackled the insurance companies. This is an awesome opportunity for our family however we do not want to be without health insurance... Thanks in advance.

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom

ehtansky21

No private insurance provider will take our kids with CF. You mention CF and they can't get off the phone fast enough.
COBRA will work, but only for something like 13 months. And man is it expensive!!!!!!
We found out with my husband's last job, that the company you work for has the option to use cobra or not. If it is a small company, they probably do not provide it. With my husband's last job, they only provided it for 6 months.
hope this helps!!!!
Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

No private insurance provider will take our kids with CF. You mention CF and they can't get off the phone fast enough.
COBRA will work, but only for something like 13 months. And man is it expensive!!!!!!
We found out with my husband's last job, that the company you work for has the option to use cobra or not. If it is a small company, they probably do not provide it. With my husband's last job, they only provided it for 6 months.
hope this helps!!!!
Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

hope this helps!!!!
Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

hope this helps!!!!
Blessings,
Missa

ehtansky21

<br />COBRA will work, but only for something like 13 months. And man is it expensive!!!!!!
<br />We found out with my husband's last job, that the company you work for has the option to use cobra or not. If it is a small company, they probably do not provide it. With my husband's last job, they only provided it for 6 months.
<br />hope this helps!!!!
<br />Blessings,
<br />Missa

HollyAnnsMom

Okay so I found out that my husband's company offers cobra for 18 months after ending employment. That's a help because that gives me 18 months to go back to my old job where they have corporate insurance, if that is what we choose to do. We have lots to think about for sure.

HollyAnnsMom

Okay so I found out that my husband's company offers cobra for 18 months after ending employment. That's a help because that gives me 18 months to go back to my old job where they have corporate insurance, if that is what we choose to do. We have lots to think about for sure.

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom

HollyAnnsMom

Z

zeeannie

This is from the US Department of Health and Human Services:

8. What if you have a pre-existing condition?

Before passage of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in 1997, people had to worry about health insurance coverage for preexisting conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or cancer. If you changed jobs and had to change insurers, you might not have been able to get some of your care covered because of the preexisting condition exclusion.

Today, HIPAA helps to assure continued coverage for employees and their dependents, regardless of preexisting conditions. Insurers can impose only a 12-month waiting period for any preexisting condition that has been diagnosed or treated within the preceding 6 months. As long as you have maintained continuous coverage without a break of more than 63 days, your prior health insurance coverage will be credited toward the preexisting condition exclusion period.

If you have had group health coverage for at least 1 year and you change jobs and health plans, your new plan can't impose another preexisting condition exclusion period. If you have never been covered by an employer's group plan and you start a new job that offers such a plan, you may be subject to a 12-month preexisting condition waiting period. Federal law also makes it easier for you to get individual insurance under certain situations. You may, however, have to pay a higher premium for individual insurance if you have a preexisting condition.

If you have not had coverage previously and you are unable to get insurance on your own, you should check with your State insurance commissioner to see if your State has a high-risk pool (described previously in this booklet). You can find the phone number for your State insurance commissioner in the blue pages of your local phone book.

So, you should be able to get insurance anywhere you want if you fit the timeline requirements. Make sure you get a proof of coverage letter from your current insurance company before you cancel.

Z

zeeannie

Before passage of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in 1997, people had to worry about health insurance coverage for preexisting conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or cancer. If you changed jobs and had to change insurers, you might not have been able to get some of your care covered because of the preexisting condition exclusion.

Today, HIPAA helps to assure continued coverage for employees and their dependents, regardless of preexisting conditions. Insurers can impose only a 12-month waiting period for any preexisting condition that has been diagnosed or treated within the preceding 6 months. As long as you have maintained continuous coverage without a break of more than 63 days, your prior health insurance coverage will be credited toward the preexisting condition exclusion period.

If you have had group health coverage for at least 1 year and you change jobs and health plans, your new plan can't impose another preexisting condition exclusion period. If you have never been covered by an employer's group plan and you start a new job that offers such a plan, you may be subject to a 12-month preexisting condition waiting period. Federal law also makes it easier for you to get individual insurance under certain situations. You may, however, have to pay a higher premium for individual insurance if you have a preexisting condition.

If you have not had coverage previously and you are unable to get insurance on your own, you should check with your State insurance commissioner to see if your State has a high-risk pool (described previously in this booklet). You can find the phone number for your State insurance commissioner in the blue pages of your local phone book.

So, you should be able to get insurance anywhere you want if you fit the timeline requirements. Make sure you get a proof of coverage letter from your current insurance company before you cancel.

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

<br />___________________________________________________________________
<br />
<br />8. What if you have a pre-existing condition?
<br />
<br />Before passage of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) in 1997, people had to worry about health insurance coverage for preexisting conditions like diabetes, heart disease, or cancer. If you changed jobs and had to change insurers, you might not have been able to get some of your care covered because of the preexisting condition exclusion.
<br />
<br />Today, HIPAA helps to assure continued coverage for employees and their dependents, regardless of preexisting conditions. Insurers can impose only a 12-month waiting period for any preexisting condition that has been diagnosed or treated within the preceding 6 months. As long as you have maintained continuous coverage without a break of more than 63 days, your prior health insurance coverage will be credited toward the preexisting condition exclusion period.
<br />
<br />If you have had group health coverage for at least 1 year and you change jobs and health plans, your new plan can't impose another preexisting condition exclusion period. If you have never been covered by an employer's group plan and you start a new job that offers such a plan, you may be subject to a 12-month preexisting condition waiting period. Federal law also makes it easier for you to get individual insurance under certain situations. You may, however, have to pay a higher premium for individual insurance if you have a preexisting condition.
<br />
<br />If you have not had coverage previously and you are unable to get insurance on your own, you should check with your State insurance commissioner to see if your State has a high-risk pool (described previously in this booklet). You can find the phone number for your State insurance commissioner in the blue pages of your local phone book.
<br />____________________________________________________________________________
<br />
<br />So, you should be able to get insurance anywhere you want if you fit the timeline requirements. Make sure you get a proof of coverage letter from your current insurance company before you cancel.