Insurance

LouLou

Emily, Amy explained it quite well. As long as you get group insurance you'll be set. Sure some policies are better than others. Generally speaking the bigger the company is the better rates and coverage they get. Also bigger companies usually have multiple policy options for you to choose from.

The only thing I will add about the pre-existing clause bit is that if you go UNISURED you can be denied by even group policies. With the COBRA act of the 90's though, you are always elgible to continue your coverage for a certain amount of time. Don't ever go without insurance. It might cost you upwards of $600/mo to maintain insurance but then when you become elgible through your employment or Mike's you'll be able to get coverage right away...maybe even for free if the premium payment is covered by the company.

I graduated from college in '01 with a degree in product design (BFA Industrial Design). The exciting work is working at a design firm (hence small company) not big corporations that make the same products all day. I have worked for two consultancies. The first one gave us a stipend to buy individual insurance. As Amy mentioned this isn't a good move for cfers. If we can even manage to get coverage the % paid, copays, etc. are aweful. At the time I was between college and marriage. I could take this money though and apply it to any insurance policy. So I COBRA'ed my dad's insurance that I had in college until I married my husband at which point I became eligible for his awesome insurance through a big university. He was getting his Ph.D at the time. Then we moved and I got a job with a 25 person company. They have a Blue Cross policy that's quite good. They cover $350 worth of the premium payment which covers the employee but no family members. Again, my hubby was associated with a university and their insurance was as good or better than my small company. Since I could take my $350 and use it towards other fringe benefits, where my husband could only opt in or out of the insurance plan, we decided to go under his policy with my premium paid out of his paycheck. Another reason this was a smart move was because in a small company of 25 each person on an insurance policy effects the overall rates greatly. I knew my drugs alone are a big hit. When the company's insurance policy came up for renewal, due to my claims, everyone's rates would go up. Of course, the insurance dude isn't supposed to tell the plan administrator who the person that's making all the claims is but I wonder if this doesn't happen anyways. This is definitley one of htose places HIPPA has helped us out. Long story short, I would rather not jack everyone's insurance costs up in the small company.... and possibly deal with discrimination due to my high claims so whenever there's an option in our family for me to be on a big co. policy where I am one of many people making claims and don't have as large of a % effect on overall claims made, I'll opt for it.

LouLou

Emily, Amy explained it quite well. As long as you get group insurance you'll be set. Sure some policies are better than others. Generally speaking the bigger the company is the better rates and coverage they get. Also bigger companies usually have multiple policy options for you to choose from.

The only thing I will add about the pre-existing clause bit is that if you go UNISURED you can be denied by even group policies. With the COBRA act of the 90's though, you are always elgible to continue your coverage for a certain amount of time. Don't ever go without insurance. It might cost you upwards of $600/mo to maintain insurance but then when you become elgible through your employment or Mike's you'll be able to get coverage right away...maybe even for free if the premium payment is covered by the company.

I graduated from college in '01 with a degree in product design (BFA Industrial Design). The exciting work is working at a design firm (hence small company) not big corporations that make the same products all day. I have worked for two consultancies. The first one gave us a stipend to buy individual insurance. As Amy mentioned this isn't a good move for cfers. If we can even manage to get coverage the % paid, copays, etc. are aweful. At the time I was between college and marriage. I could take this money though and apply it to any insurance policy. So I COBRA'ed my dad's insurance that I had in college until I married my husband at which point I became eligible for his awesome insurance through a big university. He was getting his Ph.D at the time. Then we moved and I got a job with a 25 person company. They have a Blue Cross policy that's quite good. They cover $350 worth of the premium payment which covers the employee but no family members. Again, my hubby was associated with a university and their insurance was as good or better than my small company. Since I could take my $350 and use it towards other fringe benefits, where my husband could only opt in or out of the insurance plan, we decided to go under his policy with my premium paid out of his paycheck. Another reason this was a smart move was because in a small company of 25 each person on an insurance policy effects the overall rates greatly. I knew my drugs alone are a big hit. When the company's insurance policy came up for renewal, due to my claims, everyone's rates would go up. Of course, the insurance dude isn't supposed to tell the plan administrator who the person that's making all the claims is but I wonder if this doesn't happen anyways. This is definitley one of htose places HIPPA has helped us out. Long story short, I would rather not jack everyone's insurance costs up in the small company.... and possibly deal with discrimination due to my high claims so whenever there's an option in our family for me to be on a big co. policy where I am one of many people making claims and don't have as large of a % effect on overall claims made, I'll opt for it.

mom2lillian

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

Group insurance you typically get when you work. It's where the company offers insurance to anyone and everyone at the company (some may say they won't cover you 'til you work for 6 months, or only if you work more than 30 hours a week). <b> it's against federal law to deny anyone, for any reason (pre-existing condition included), on a group insurance plan </b> So as long as you find a company with health insurance, you're covered girl

s, etc.</end quote></div>

This is true only to a point. They cannot deny you insurance HOWEVER they CAN deny any medical costs related to a pre-exisiting condiiton for a certain amount of time (I dont know how long). I.e I know a cf'er working for a hospital and she had insurance but for I think 3 months they woudl not pay anything related to CF.

There is a law that allows the insurance to look at the pre-existing condition of a new enrollee that DOES NOT have insurance however if you are covered under another insurance they CANNOT do that. SO dont loose insurance coverage---ever! One option is if you are starting a new job you should buy cobra for one month with the ond company to make sure there are no problems.

This is where IMO having both spouses that can get insurance would be ideal if one of you is in jeopardy of loosing coverage (some companies also allow you to cover your domestic partner). Having two insurances is a huge headache in my experience because they always want to fight over who has to pay but if I was in fear of loosing my job I woudl get insured under my husbands plan as well.

mom2lillian

Group insurance you typically get when you work. It's where the company offers insurance to anyone and everyone at the company (some may say they won't cover you 'til you work for 6 months, or only if you work more than 30 hours a week). <b> it's against federal law to deny anyone, for any reason (pre-existing condition included), on a group insurance plan </b> So as long as you find a company with health insurance, you're covered girl

This is true only to a point. They cannot deny you insurance HOWEVER they CAN deny any medical costs related to a pre-exisiting condiiton for a certain amount of time (I dont know how long). I.e I know a cf'er working for a hospital and she had insurance but for I think 3 months they woudl not pay anything related to CF.

There is a law that allows the insurance to look at the pre-existing condition of a new enrollee that DOES NOT have insurance however if you are covered under another insurance they CANNOT do that. SO dont loose insurance coverage---ever! One option is if you are starting a new job you should buy cobra for one month with the ond company to make sure there are no problems.

This is where IMO having both spouses that can get insurance would be ideal if one of you is in jeopardy of loosing coverage (some companies also allow you to cover your domestic partner). Having two insurances is a huge headache in my experience because they always want to fight over who has to pay but if I was in fear of loosing my job I woudl get insured under my husbands plan as well.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

s, etc.</end quote>

mom2lillian

s, etc.</end quote>

sue35

I agree it is doable but for me it is very hard. My insurance has a $2000 out of pocket fee, so anything over $2000 I don't pay for. The only issue is that I am a single Catholic school teacher who gets paid next to nothing. So, my parents pay for my insurance but I am going to have to switch jobs next year just for more pay so I can afford my insurance. So it is doable but totally depends on your job.

sue35

I agree it is doable but for me it is very hard. My insurance has a $2000 out of pocket fee, so anything over $2000 I don't pay for. The only issue is that I am a single Catholic school teacher who gets paid next to nothing. So, my parents pay for my insurance but I am going to have to switch jobs next year just for more pay so I can afford my insurance. So it is doable but totally depends on your job.

sue35

sue35

sue35

sue35

Emily

I didnt have time to go through and read all that was told so I may be repeating what has already been said. For me though. I was insured on my Fathers insurance until I A. graduated from College, B. got married, or C turned 25. I graduated from college and got married within a month of each other. My insurance then kept me on for 3 months. Then my father told me that he would pay for me to be on Cobra insurance through the same insurance company which is so freaking expensive it is unbelievable. I was told I could be on this insurance for up to 3 years.

We knew we had a timeline and that Ben better get a good job within that timeframe. A few months after I got pregnant Ben was able to get a job that did have good insurance. We were on a 3 month waiting period and then Our whole family was placed on this insurance 26 days before Cambree was born. Due to the fact that I had never had a lapse in coverage they had to pick me up wihtout any preexisting clause. That is how it worked for me. It was always very stressful and I know how hard it is to try to figure it out. Good luck. Hope this helped.

Emily

I didnt have time to go through and read all that was told so I may be repeating what has already been said. For me though. I was insured on my Fathers insurance until I A. graduated from College, B. got married, or C turned 25. I graduated from college and got married within a month of each other. My insurance then kept me on for 3 months. Then my father told me that he would pay for me to be on Cobra insurance through the same insurance company which is so freaking expensive it is unbelievable. I was told I could be on this insurance for up to 3 years.

We knew we had a timeline and that Ben better get a good job within that timeframe. A few months after I got pregnant Ben was able to get a job that did have good insurance. We were on a 3 month waiting period and then Our whole family was placed on this insurance 26 days before Cambree was born. Due to the fact that I had never had a lapse in coverage they had to pick me up wihtout any preexisting clause. That is how it worked for me. It was always very stressful and I know how hard it is to try to figure it out. Good luck. Hope this helped.

Emily

Emily

Emily

Emily