Interesting article on hearing loss

miesl

Since so many of those here end up on aminoglycides (Tobra and its friends)... this article should be of interest.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-04/uomh-asp042506.php">Aspirin shows promise in combating a common, antibiotic-induced hearing loss</a>

anonymous

that is so great!!! It gives me so much hope for those of us who have to be on long term anti-biotics. FYI...anti-oxidants help prevent hearing loss as well. Before I took glutathione, I always had hearing problems when I took tobra or gent...now, it just doesn't ever bother me. But the aspirin is HUGE....now we for sure have a proven defense.
mandy

I

IG

I really cannot give credence to this honestly.
For about a year before my hearing loss, and the 2 years after the initial hearing loss I was on aspirin pretty much every day.
It might help for some... but honestly the way 'news' changes scepticisim is a big word in my vocabulary.
(Ex. so-and-so causes cancer, but wait it's actually good for the heart and doesn't cause cancer, but wait it's bad for the heart)
Take wine for example. Some argue that it's good in small doses, prevents a lot of stuff, etc. Some argue that it's not good in any quantity because it causes harm, etc. It's great one day and it's horrid the next. I'd like to see the final study perhaps, but til then it's on my 'maybe' list.

anonymous

Sounds like you were in the 3% for which the aspirin didn't work. Unlucky.

This sounds like great news, anything that minimises the chances of adverse side effects is surely to be welcomed!

anonymous

I'm a speech-language pathologist and can provide anyone with hearing questions resources galore! Oto-toxic drugs damage cells in the inner ear. (Same cells that are killed by loud noises) Once they are damaged, they don't work again, so no amount of aspirin or anything else (although audiologists hope to someday find a way to regenerate them) after the fact will help. Prevention is the only way to go. It will be interesting to see more studies.
Katy (at work)

JazzysMom

I didnt notice the amount of aspirin needed etc, but first thing that comes to my mind is possibility of hemoptysis. If we are already lacking Vitamin K then an aspirin regimen must not be the best way!