IRT/DNA - does this mean my son definitely has CF

Printer

Unknown means exactly that. The Doctor did a test of a small universe, say 39 mutations. He/She found one mutation. As we all know there are almost 2000 mutations. The Doctor doesn't know what the results would be from a full sequencing. A full sequencing could identify a mutation or not identify any additional mutations. At this time, the results of a full sequencing is UNKNOWN. There is no such thing as a NORMAL MUTATION.

Bill

T

TJ22

Sorry I was away. I fell down the stairs and fractured two vertebrae and was hospitalized. They did the sweat test at a CF clinic. The results were 37. They are going to draw blood for full sequencing Monday. It will take up to 3 weeks to get results. He is still gaining weight and his sound clear. I am going to continue to hold onto hope. Thanks for all the info. I will update you on what I find out.

M

Murphysmama

Sending love and light to your family and your precious little one!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
So glad they're going ahead with the sequencing tests. DS was only 2-3 weeks old when he had his sweat test and it was normal. It's difficult to get a good sample with teeny tiny babies. genetic blood testing showed otherwise. hopefully you'll get some answers.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Oh my. Like your family needed another stressor. I am so very sorry and pray you recover quickly. One thing I want you to know based on what you have said: If your son has CF, it is most likely a mutation which can benefit from Kalydeco because of the very low SC test and so far seemingly pancreatic sufficient. And right now Vertex is testing Kalydeco on 2 - 5 year olds so by the time your little one is 2 (maybe even before), he will be able to have Kalydeco which fixes the underlying defect for a few lucky ones--4% now but likely 15% approved in a year). And because he is so young he is likely to have clear lungs and no damage when he started the drugs. Hang in there. Hugs and prayers,
Love

T

TJ22

Had my follow up today. Sample was sent to Mayo clinic and bidirectional sequence analysis was performed for the presence of mutations in all coding regions and intron/exon boundaries of the cftr gene. The results were heterozygous deletion exon 10 deltf508. intron 8 polyt alleles 7t/9t. Now I am not entirely sure what this means as I am only seeing one mutation listed. I expected to see something about the second mutation.

That being said with todays sweat test of 17 and the results from the mayo clinic results, she said she is confident he doesnt have CF. I will need to repeat the sweat test at 6 months because like the first sweat test they were only able to get a big enough sample from one arm and they need both samples to release him from care. Had they got two samples today he would be released.

I am going to take this result to mean he doesnt have it. If something were to change at 6 month test I will deal with it then.

Regardless my life and outlook have been changed forever. I am not a biologist so I cannot contribute in that way but all of you can count on me to donate to CF research. Can you provide some organizations I can donate to?

I wish the best of luck to everyone here.

Thanks agains for all the help and support.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Dad I'm so happy for you. I don't understand the second mutation they note but how wonderful to not have a CF diagnosis. I'm sure the doctors will explain more. I hope your back is better.

And re contributing: If you are in the US, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (cff.org) is the best. It funds major research (some I noted above that can help with some mutations), as well as other things. You could just do a one-time donation or if your time permits, there is so much you could do to help organize events/fundraisers. (If you are interested let me know the area you are in and I'll get you a specific contact person.) Two years ago there was a couple highlighted who are major players in organzing who got involved after their baby was screened as potential CF and then came back negative for CF. I was so touched that they had gotten a diagnosis of "normal/healthy" but still choose to in a sense "live this life" with their involvement. I know you will never be the same--you will always have those horrible memories of the fear and you'll value so much more of your precious child and see others with special needs in a different light. You've in a sense been to hell and back and it makes this earthly existence, as painful and flawed as it is so much more perfect. Godspeed to you and your family.

AmalynRose

TJ22,

I am a senior Cell and Molecular Biology student (BS) with a strong background in genetics. Here is what I understand your results to mean, with a little bit of background in terms so when you hear them again, you will know what they mean. Please remember, although the terms I define I know to be correct, my interpretation of the actual results may not be, as I am not a geneticist with a PhD.

A heterogeneous means that one allele, or gene, is not the same as the other on the opposite chromosome at the same location. Having a heterogeneous deletion means that your child has one chromosome that has a deletion, while the other chromosome does not. Now, DNA has two parts to it: exons and introns. Exons are the portions of DNA that code for proteins. Introns are the sequences between the exons that don't really code for anything, although they can play a role in gene expression. When your DNA is read and RNA (RNA is like the messenger that takes a copy of the genetic code to the factory where proteins are made and assembled) is formed, the introns get "snipped" out of the RNA so that the exons are in one continuous line. This allows for the correct formation of various proteins that the body needs to function.

Now, jumping back to introns for a moment. I stated that they can play a role in gene expression. Some CF mutations only will be expressed if there is a certain number of T's (your DNA is made up of A, T, G, and C) in a row at a specific site on the DNA. Here as an example. I have the deltaF508 and R117H mutations with a 7t allele. My R117H is only expressed mildly because R117H expression is dependent on the intron polyt alleles (the number of T's in a row). There are three variations of this that they check for: 5t, 7t, and 9t. The number corresponds to the number of T's in a row there are. When R117H is paired with a 5t allele and there is another mutations present (like delaF508) the result is "classic" CF. When R117H is paired with a 7t or a 9t and another mutation, the result is a mild or even asymptomatic case of CF. For some reason (I'm not really sure why), the increased number of T's acts as a type of buffer that stops the expression of the R117H.

Here is what I interpret your child's results to be:
-your child has only one copy of the dF508, which was caused by a deletion at exon 10 (this came from either you or mom)
-there is no second mutation present, meaning that your child is a carrier
-they found that your child has a 7t or a 9t alleles, but they aren't sure which; they mainly wanted to make sure it wasn't a 5t

I myself was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic and I have meet their CF team. You will probably hear from some people on this forum that Mayo isn't a CF clinic and as such don't know what they are talking about. I have been a patient there for most of my life and I have full confidence in their teams. If Mayo is saying that your child doesn't have CF, then he probably doesn't. I think the retest at 6 months is a great preventative measure, since as you know there are so many CF mutations and it's difficult to screen for them all at once. The team is probably thinking along the lines of better to retest and have it be the same results, rather then not test again and miss something important. If you want the entire genome sequenced, don't hesitate to call the CF team at Mayo. Even though they may think it's unnecessary, they will do it if you ask for the test to be ordered (though it will be expensive and may not be covered under insurance).

If you do want a second opinion, I highly recommend the Children's Hospitals and Clinics in Minneapolis (if you live in the tri-state area). My cousin goes there and her parents love the staff and team. They are an approved CF center.

I hope all of this helps! Sorry it ended up being so long, but I wanted to make sure I was thorough in my explanation. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers!

T

TJ22

Thanks for the extremely detailed response.

Just FYI, he is being seen at an accredited CF clinic.

Its was unclear from the results paperwork but after speaking to the physician and scouring mayo's site, the performed analysis appears to be extensive with 1400+ mutations and MPLA. Which while it may not be as comprehensive as some, its very thorough. His initial IRA was 84.9, which a few years back wouldn't have been flagged. His first sweat test was only one arm and was 37 which is borderline, but he was also very young and its possible the sample may has sat. His new sweat test was 17 and there was plenty of sweat. He is constantly gaining weight. And shows now signs of respiratory or digestive problems.

So my only remaining concern was the initial test saying "deltaf508/unknown". I am however more comfortable with the more comprehensive results from Mayo which were more in depth and detailed than the results from our state's lab.

Regardless for now and until I hear or observe otherwise I am going to assume he is only a carrier. Because the physician says so and because a few years ago he wouldnt be flagged and because he is showing no symptoms.

I want to be cautious but I don't want to be overly cautious. For now I am moving forward. But I will never forget how it felt and how others must feel. And I will contribute all that I can.

I really think there should be a bigger push to inform people of the disease and that there are tests to give you and your spouse your risk factors, which would allow people to decide if they may want to have a child or not. Everyone is entitled to proceed how they see fit, but everyone should have the option to be informed of their risk factors (ie their mutations).

AmalynRose

I really think there should be a bigger push to inform people of the disease and that there are tests to give you and your spouse your risk factors, which would allow people to decide if they may want to have a child or not. Everyone is entitled to proceed how they see fit, but everyone should have the option to be informed of their risk factors (ie their mutations).

I completely agree with you. The only reason I found out I had CF is because my husband and I asked to be screened as carriers since CF shows up on my side of the family and we wanted to know our risks before we became pregnant (I'm due in September with our first). We were shocked to find out I not only had one mutation, but two. My husband came back negative for the most common mutations, thankfully.

When we went to the first appointment, I was really surprised to learn how many people are carriers of a CF mutation, especially in the Caucasian population. I wish family doctors provided more information on CF to couples who are deciding to become pregnant. At least that way people could opt to be tested before they become pregnant, rather then finding out after the baby is born when that is supposed to be a joyous time.

I am curious. When your baby was screened for CF the first time, was it from the heel prick that they do soon after birth? In MN they screen for CF right after birth from the heel prick. I know our child will be a carrier and I would like to know which mutation they have. I have been wondering if they would tell me this information or if I would have to ask for a separate screening.

W

WildCherry

Our son's story is practically identical to yours and with the changes being made to the newborn screen threshholds for further testing there are going to be many more like us according to our doctor. We too have been forever changed even though we have been mostly cleared of a CF diagnosis. I now volunteer for our local CFF chapter and we fundraise for the cause as well. It will always be part of my life going forward. Many blessings to your family and I'm happy that your son has been cleared.

Thanks for the extremely detailed response.

Just FYI, he is being seen at an accredited CF clinic.

Its was unclear from the results paperwork but after speaking to the physician and scouring mayo's site, the performed analysis appears to be extensive with 1400+ mutations and MPLA. Which while it may not be as comprehensive as some, its very thorough. His initial IRA was 84.9, which a few years back wouldn't have been flagged. His first sweat test was only one arm and was 37 which is borderline, but he was also very young and its possible the sample may has sat. His new sweat test was 17 and there was plenty of sweat. He is constantly gaining weight. And shows now signs of respiratory or digestive problems.

So my only remaining concern was the initial test saying "deltaf508/unknown". I am however more comfortable with the more comprehensive results from Mayo which were more in depth and detailed than the results from our state's lab.

Regardless for now and until I hear or observe otherwise I am going to assume he is only a carrier. Because the physician says so and because a few years ago he wouldnt be flagged and because he is showing no symptoms.

I want to be cautious but I don't want to be overly cautious. For now I am moving forward. But I will never forget how it felt and how others must feel. And I will contribute all that I can.

T

TJ22

I completely agree with you. The only reason I found out I had CF is because my husband and I asked to be screened as carriers since CF shows up on my side of the family and we wanted to know our risks before we became pregnant (I'm due in September with our first). We were shocked to find out I not only had one mutation, but two. My husband came back negative for the most common mutations, thankfully.

When we went to the first appointment, I was really surprised to learn how many people are carriers of a CF mutation, especially in the Caucasian population. I wish family doctors provided more information on CF to couples who are deciding to become pregnant. At least that way people could opt to be tested before they become pregnant, rather then finding out after the baby is born when that is supposed to be a joyous time.

I am curious. When your baby was screened for CF the first time, was it from the heel prick that they do soon after birth? In MN they screen for CF right after birth from the heel prick. I know our child will be a carrier and I would like to know which mutation they have. I have been wondering if they would tell me this information or if I would have to ask for a separate screening.

Yes the first was from the heel prick. In WV when ira is high they do DNA tests for 33 mutations.