Is anyone a teacher?

hbollotte

i'm student teaching in the fall. i requested upper elementary. i have a business management degree but decided to go back and get certified to teach. i know about all the germs that i might catch, but that's the price i will pay to be a teacher. i will just be known as the clean teacher. the school i really want to teach at has sinks in the room, they also have hand sanitizer by the computers and as you walk into the classroom. i plan to spray everything with lysol before and after class. i know i will be very busy but i think it will be well worth it.
my dr. made me mad the other day because she was saying are you really sure you want to teach elementary. what are you going to do about all the germs?? well i don't live in a bubble and i really want to teach.
we'll see how it goes and if i think its jeopardizing my health i won't do it any more.
good luck!!!

hbollotte

i'm student teaching in the fall. i requested upper elementary. i have a business management degree but decided to go back and get certified to teach. i know about all the germs that i might catch, but that's the price i will pay to be a teacher. i will just be known as the clean teacher. the school i really want to teach at has sinks in the room, they also have hand sanitizer by the computers and as you walk into the classroom. i plan to spray everything with lysol before and after class. i know i will be very busy but i think it will be well worth it.
my dr. made me mad the other day because she was saying are you really sure you want to teach elementary. what are you going to do about all the germs?? well i don't live in a bubble and i really want to teach.
we'll see how it goes and if i think its jeopardizing my health i won't do it any more.
good luck!!!

hbollotte

good luck!!!

hbollotte

good luck!!!

hbollotte

<br />my dr. made me mad the other day because she was saying are you really sure you want to teach elementary. what are you going to do about all the germs?? well i don't live in a bubble and i really want to teach.
<br />we'll see how it goes and if i think its jeopardizing my health i won't do it any more.
<br />good luck!!!

Jeana

On a side note, I get more colds from what my 4-year-old brings home from preschool. And now that I've got a brand new baby, I get to go through it all again. But, they are absolutely worth it!

Jeana

On a side note, I get more colds from what my 4-year-old brings home from preschool. And now that I've got a brand new baby, I get to go through it all again. But, they are absolutely worth it!

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

LeneSouthAfrica

I taught 7 years (initially part time then full time, all different ages). I would recommend to anyone who is considering teaching, to actually go and spend a few weeks helping out full time in a classroom before making a final decision. It will give you a better idea of what you are in for, and how you will feel being on your feet the whole day etc. Since you are already qualifying you have made up your mind, so I wish you all the best of luck, but in my opinion teaching is not great for managing CF. To list a few of reasons:Teaching was just too physically exhausting, the pace is fast, the responsibility is huge, constant coughing is a problem in a job that you are constantly talking, taking off sick is very hard for a teacher because you are dealing with classes of children who need to be taken care of. I became run down every year until I stopped teaching. It may be different for you, so good luck. If you are concerned, I recommend try finding a teaching position that has as much flexibility as possible...e.g. a part time position, something with really small classes, no extra mural school activities if possible. Not the mainstream full time permanent teaching job.

LeneSouthAfrica

I taught 7 years (initially part time then full time, all different ages). I would recommend to anyone who is considering teaching, to actually go and spend a few weeks helping out full time in a classroom before making a final decision. It will give you a better idea of what you are in for, and how you will feel being on your feet the whole day etc. Since you are already qualifying you have made up your mind, so I wish you all the best of luck, but in my opinion teaching is not great for managing CF. To list a few of reasons:Teaching was just too physically exhausting, the pace is fast, the responsibility is huge, constant coughing is a problem in a job that you are constantly talking, taking off sick is very hard for a teacher because you are dealing with classes of children who need to be taken care of. I became run down every year until I stopped teaching. It may be different for you, so good luck. If you are concerned, I recommend try finding a teaching position that has as much flexibility as possible...e.g. a part time position, something with really small classes, no extra mural school activities if possible. Not the mainstream full time permanent teaching job.

LeneSouthAfrica

LeneSouthAfrica

LeneSouthAfrica

marla

I am a teacher, but do not have cf. My son does though. My schedule has really been good for taking care of my son, we usually schedule his hospitalizations around my school breaks. Teachers get plenty of sick leave in most states, so that's a bonus. I agree that the first couple years are hard and have longer hours. However, by my third year the hours were definitely easier. I teach fifth grade and usually leave at 3:00 and do not take work home. Every couple weeks I'll stay at school one day until around 6:00 to get ahead on things. Occassionally I take things home to grade, but not very often. If you teach upper elementary, you can grade while the kids work on their assignments. I think it'd be a good job for someone with cf. I would not recommend teaching grades k-3. Those take soooo much more work prepping things and keeping the kids busy. The lower grades are exhausting!!

marla

I am a teacher, but do not have cf. My son does though. My schedule has really been good for taking care of my son, we usually schedule his hospitalizations around my school breaks. Teachers get plenty of sick leave in most states, so that's a bonus. I agree that the first couple years are hard and have longer hours. However, by my third year the hours were definitely easier. I teach fifth grade and usually leave at 3:00 and do not take work home. Every couple weeks I'll stay at school one day until around 6:00 to get ahead on things. Occassionally I take things home to grade, but not very often. If you teach upper elementary, you can grade while the kids work on their assignments. I think it'd be a good job for someone with cf. I would not recommend teaching grades k-3. Those take soooo much more work prepping things and keeping the kids busy. The lower grades are exhausting!!

marla

marla

marla