Is anyone with CF a police officer?

C

cathycat

Hello,

My son with CF wants to pursue a career in Criminal Justice. He will begin college next year (Criminal Justice) and will be applying for the local and state "officer" jobs. All the requirements state is they have to pass the medical exam, physical test and psychological test. He is in good shape physically but I don't know if I should be concerned about the medical exam.

Should he disclose that he has CF? If he does, maybe they won't give him an offer and if not, can he be in trouble for withholding information? Has anyone heard of people with CF getting jobs as police/sheriff officers? I know that he can't join the military as someone with CF is automatically disqualified but I can't find anything concrete for police/sheriff officers.

Any info is appreciated...Thank you.

semnle34

Hi Cathycat....

I wanted to reply because I just completed 10 years of being a Police Officer. I just resigned a few months ago after having to make a decision between my health and my career. Of course my health came first but I strongly encourage your son to pursue his dream in Law Enforcement. I started at the age of 19 and completed the academy within the year. I worked road patrol and had a blast working the streets. I luckily spent the last 2 years as a Detective in Criminal Investigations. It was truly the best experience of my life. The physical demands of LE are very demanding. A strict exercise routine is necessary during the academy and after. I worked out all the time and made sure I trained extra hard to be physically fit. The academy too is very demanding requiring running, fighting, being pepper sprayed and testing your stress levels on a daily basis. If I did it, I know your son can. As to the question about disclosing his CF.....I would def provide the agency with that information. I disclosed it during my medical examination. My agency requested a letter from my CF doctor stating that I was heathly enough to meet the physical demands of Police work. Once they had the A okay....I was processed and hired. If that information is discovered afterwards, your son could be terminated for falsifying/withholding pertinent information on his application. Lying on an applications is a big deal. Credibility is one of the most important aspects of police work. I know of 2 other Police Officers here in South Florida that are doing great. Def encourage him to go through with it and enjoy every moment. If it ever gets to the point that he can no longer do it like myself, there are plenty of other avenues to follow after a job in Law Enforcement. The only down fall to the job is that it is a cut throat industry. Cops have the mentality that if you cant do the job then you dont belong there. So with that being said....calling out sick and missing a lot of work could cause issues. I ran into issues when I needed my 2 week tune-ups and my supervisors were left scrambling to find coverage. Unfortunately there isnt much sympathy when it comes to that. I still wouldnt let that stop him. If you have any questions or need any suggestions please email me anytime. Good Luck!!!!!!

C

cathycat

Hi Semnle34,

Thank you for your post. I'm glad to hear that people with CF have been hired as police officers. My son is 18 and that is all he wants to do. He will be pursuing a BA/MA in Criminal Justice as well. He is physically fit from participating in high school sports and his summer job is physical too. He will be working out extra hard before the actual test though. I believe he will do fine with that part of it. I agree with the lying on the application issue....it just didn't seem right. He had to get a letter of clearance for his summer job so I think it will be similar for this. He actually is very responsible and isn't going to give up easily. Thanks again and I may be contacting you in the future if I have anymore questions.

Cathy

rmotion

Hi Semnle34,

Thank you for your post. I'm glad to hear that people with CF have been hired as police officers. My son is 18 and that is all he wants to do. He will be pursuing a BA/MA in Criminal Justice as well. He is physically fit from participating in high school sports and his summer job is physical too. He will be working out extra hard before the actual test though. I believe he will do fine with that part of it. I agree with the lying on the application issue....it just didn't seem right. He had to get a letter of clearance for his summer job so I think it will be similar for this. He actually is very responsible and isn't going to give up easily. Thanks again and I may be contacting you in the future if I have anymore questions.

Cathy
I think it is something that is a tough call. CF is treated under the ADA - BUT not telling is another matter. I know when i was younger I wanted to join the military. When the recruiting officer came to the house to talk to my parents my mother was like " really did you tell them about your pills' I can see it now, got your ammo and creon on the battle field.
I think that younger people with Cf today are going to be way better off in the next few years with the new drugs coming out!
I would try to do what he could and disclose, if it doesnt work out there are lots of jobs in police work that are not cops. I have friends that are perfectly healthy and have not been able to pass for what ever reason.

Your son should absolutely go for his dreams! I am not an officer, but I work in Evidence for a local PD. I had a difficult time passing the medical, and actually didn't reach the 75% lung function requirement to get hired. I was completely honest about my health from the start. The lady that was going to be my boss pulled for me and allowed me to take the test again. So I went in for a tune up, increased my numbers, took the test again, and still missed it by just a few percentage points. I then brought in a letter from my doctor saying that he had read the job description and doesn't see anything in it that I wouldn't be able to do. They ended up hiring me, but made me sign a form saying that I wouldn't over work myself, I wouldn't work in toxic environments, etc. Basically just covered their own butts. Your son sounds like he is a lot healthier and active then I was. If he can physically meet the demands of the academy, there is no reason he shouldn't try!

He also should not withhold the info about his CF. Like semnle34 says, lying during your background process will automatically get you terminated. They don't care how big or small the lie is- "if you lie, you die". Personally, I think all the challenges we go through with our CF makes us extremely strong people, we can stick to a tough regime, and a have such a will to succeed that any good background investigator would have a hard time NOT wanting to give your son a shot! :)

Here is an article about an Orange County Sheriff who had CF. This is the same county I work in... http://www.ocregister.com/articles/russell-354917-cystic-department.html

shellbell

These posts are so inspiring and although I am not in police work- I am so happy to see everyone supporting each other to follow our dreams. Giving in and giving up is never an option - we have to shoot for the stars! Bless you all.
Shelly Maguire

SNKYSND65

The high road?

So I understand the moral question. To tell or not to tell. I think the question should be how many times have you been denied for something because you have CF? Now I hear some public schools are trying to deny CFr's because of the cultures they carry. I did 10 years in the military before CF started to catch up with me. When the time was right and my enlistment was up I received an honorable discharge and got out. I look back at those years of service and am grateful for the opportunity to serve. I believe that only you know what you are capable of. A number on a screen does not define who I am or what I can do. I served in the war in Iraq and in other parts of the world. My body was pushed to its limits just like the rest of the troops and not once did I fail under pressure. What do I know I'm just an average guy.
That was great that the police force in Florida hired you knowing. But I find this isn't the norm. Do what you think is right, and never let anyone or anything hold you back from your dreams. Is it better to settle for what you’re allowed to do or take what you want to do?
Diagnosed 5 months old.

Your son should absolutely go for his dreams! I am not an officer, but I work in Evidence for a local PD. I had a difficult time passing the medical, and actually didn't reach the 75% lung function requirement to get hired. I was completely honest about my health from the start. The lady that was going to be my boss pulled for me and allowed me to take the test again. So I went in for a tune up, increased my numbers, took the test again, and still missed it by just a few percentage points. I then brought in a letter from my doctor saying that he had read the job description and doesn't see anything in it that I wouldn't be able to do. They ended up hiring me, but made me sign a form saying that I wouldn't over work myself, I wouldn't work in toxic environments, etc. Basically just covered their own butts. Your son sounds like he is a lot healthier and active then I was. If he can physically meet the demands of the academy, there is no reason he shouldn't try!

He also should not withhold the info about his CF. Like semnle34 says, lying during your background process will automatically get you terminated. They don't care how big or small the lie is- "if you lie, you die". Personally, I think all the challenges we go through with our CF makes us extremely strong people, we can stick to a tough regime, and a have such a will to succeed that any good background investigator would have a hard time NOT wanting to give your son a shot! :)

Here is an article about an Orange County Sheriff who had CF. This is the same county I work in... http://www.ocregister.com/articles/russell-354917-cystic-department.html

Lena Bean

So I understand the moral question. To tell or not to tell. I think the question should be how many times have you been denied for something because you have CF? Now I hear some public schools are trying to deny CFr's because of the cultures they carry. I did 10 years in the military before CF started to catch up with me. When the time was right and my enlistment was up I received an honorable discharge and got out. I look back at those years of service and am grateful for the opportunity to serve. I believe that only you know what you are capable of. A number on a screen does not define who I am or what I can do. I served in the war in Iraq and in other parts of the world. My body was pushed to its limits just like the rest of the troops and not once did I fail under pressure. What do I know I'm just an average guy.
That was great that the police force in Florida hired you knowing. But I find this isn't the norm. Do what you think is right, and never let anyone or anything hold you back from your dreams. Is it better to settle for what you’re allowed to do or take what you want to do?
Diagnosed 5 months old.

Not that I'm healthy enough anymore. But I fought tooth and nail to join the Army when I was 17/18 and they wouldn't let me even try. How did you get in? I just find it really hard to believe. Every recruiter I ever spoke to as soon as they heard about my CF were like NOPE! Not a chance! It's the reason I stopped taking care of my health for a few years. I gave up cuz I couldn't do the thing I wanted to do. I just I'm confounded as to how someone with CF got into the military!? Are you in the United States?

C

cathycat

Thanks everyone for your posts....I always will encourage my son to follow his dreams. He will give it everything he's got and will disclose when he has too. He wanted to join the Army and was very disappointed when he found out that he couldn't. It totally sucks that this disease gets in the way of people's desires/dreams. I just hate to think of the disappointment he will endure if CF gets in the way of his dream to be in Law Enforcement.

azdesertrat

I was not a police officer; in fact, I was often the target of law enforcment!
When you drive a truck, you're subject to many more rules & regs that 'normal' motorists are not.
As such, we come in contact with law enforcement much more often than 'normal' motorists.
The reason I'm interjecting my comments here is this: in order to pass my Commercial Driver License physical, I had to lie.
People with chronic lung disease are supposed to be disqualified. The good thing (for me) is that a friend of mine, a chiropractor, performed my physical & I was able to mislead him when it came to my physical condition. Driving a truck was my dream & I did everything I could to make it happen. Even though the regs say a person should be disqualified from driving a truck due to CF, my body was in good enough condition that I could do the job without endangering the motoring public.
Law enforcement is quite a bit different. If you lie on a law enforcement application you may be subject to dismissal if you are found out.
That will end any chance you have at a career in law enforcement.
I would suggest you be absolutely truthful.
I read the post above from a man who just finished 10 years in law enforcement & he has CF. That was pretty cool!
It seems to me that if your body is in good enough condition & you can 'Hack it', you should be able to follow your dream.
Best of luck to you, I'm pulling for you! We need good people with good attitudes in law enforcement nowdays & I hope & pray your son is one of them.
Best of luck, 'Pat'.