Is it common?

My daughter is 3 years old she has been in the hospital for almost two weeks for an acute exacerbation. She cultured serratia. Her baseline is no cough. She is suppose to go home on tuesday but she is still coughing. She has improved but is not completely better. In the past she has cultured staph, steno, h flu and puedoA. The doctors only were able to culture the PA from a bronch. I have two questions:

1) Has anyone ever cultured serratia?

2) Has anyone been taken off IV abx when not back to baseline?

Thanks,

Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/ cf, df508 & ps849x

My daughter is 3 years old she has been in the hospital for almost two weeks for an acute exacerbation. She cultured serratia. Her baseline is no cough. She is suppose to go home on tuesday but she is still coughing. She has improved but is not completely better. In the past she has cultured staph, steno, h flu and puedoA. The doctors only were able to culture the PA from a bronch. I have two questions:

1) Has anyone ever cultured serratia?

2) Has anyone been taken off IV abx when not back to baseline?

Thanks,

Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/ cf, df508 & ps849x

<br />
<br />1) Has anyone ever cultured serratia?
<br />
<br />2) Has anyone been taken off IV abx when not back to baseline?
<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />
<br />Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/ cf, df508 & ps849x

kitomd21

I don't have direct experience with this bacterium...but there have been several posts regarding serratia...search "serratia"...

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=8849&highlight_key=y&keyword1=serratia">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...ey=y&keyword1=serratia</a>

kitomd21

I don't have direct experience with this bacterium...but there have been several posts regarding serratia...search "serratia"...

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=8849&highlight_key=y&keyword1=serratia">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...ey=y&keyword1=serratia</a>

kitomd21

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=8849&highlight_key=y&keyword1=serratia">http://www.cysticfibrosis.com/...ey=y&keyword1=serratia</a>

M

Mommafirst

I'm not at all familiar with serratia, so I can't speak to that. But Alyssa's last exacerbation (In Dec) we did three weeks on IVs and she was still coughing. They decided that it had done as much as it could do. So they pulled the line and tried a burst of prednisone to get rid of the cough...thinking that maybe she just had post infection inflamation. Sure enough after about 5 days, the cough disappeared and now they are treating her for an asthma component to her CF.

Have they tried an oral steroid yet?

M

Mommafirst

I'm not at all familiar with serratia, so I can't speak to that. But Alyssa's last exacerbation (In Dec) we did three weeks on IVs and she was still coughing. They decided that it had done as much as it could do. So they pulled the line and tried a burst of prednisone to get rid of the cough...thinking that maybe she just had post infection inflamation. Sure enough after about 5 days, the cough disappeared and now they are treating her for an asthma component to her CF.

Have they tried an oral steroid yet?

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Have they tried an oral steroid yet?

The plan is to be discharged on tues. She is going to be put on oral antibiotics at home. They said give it some time. Currently her treatments consist of:

Albuteral, hyper-sal(just started),pulmozyme, tobi(every other month), cpt, flovent. And of course enzymes.

Everything is administered 2x a day except pulmozyme.
I am just really concerned about the serratia b/c from what I read about it; it is not easy to get rid of it. They have not mentioned steroids yet.

Thank you,
Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/cf df508 & ps849x

The plan is to be discharged on tues. She is going to be put on oral antibiotics at home. They said give it some time. Currently her treatments consist of:

Albuteral, hyper-sal(just started),pulmozyme, tobi(every other month), cpt, flovent. And of course enzymes.

Everything is administered 2x a day except pulmozyme.
I am just really concerned about the serratia b/c from what I read about it; it is not easy to get rid of it. They have not mentioned steroids yet.

Thank you,
Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/cf df508 & ps849x

<br />
<br />Albuteral, hyper-sal(just started),pulmozyme, tobi(every other month), cpt, flovent. And of course enzymes.
<br />
<br />Everything is administered 2x a day except pulmozyme.
<br />I am just really concerned about the serratia b/c from what I read about it; it is not easy to get rid of it. They have not mentioned steroids yet.
<br />
<br />Thank you,
<br />Gina, mom to Sophia 3, Peter and Gavin 19 months. All w/cf df508 & ps849x