is it time for IVs

M

Mommafirst

UPDATE -- yeah, they want her in. We're being admitted in the morning. Its such a disconnect to see a perfectly healthy looking kiddo, who has no visible symptoms besides a cough that has lasted 22 days despite two antibiotics. She has so much energy its gonna be hard to keep her entertained. Any suggestions????

Alyssa is on day 21 of coughing (baseline is no cough for her). Doctor had us wait almost a week before starting meds. Then she did 10 days (of a 20 day course) of augmentin with no change, possibly worse, and now she is on Day 4 of Bactrim. She still has a solid, junky, cough but she is not running a fever. She has no appetite, but her energy is pretty normal.

If this were a virus, wouldn't it be gone? If its her basic bugs (she's only cultured staph continuously, some H. Flu and Strep occasionally) the augmentin and bactrim would have helped, right? Her last culture was normal flora, but I tend to doubt the accuracy since she is chronically cultured with low numbers of staph and all they do is a throat culture.

I don't know what to do. The two Cf nurses I trust are both away this week, the fill in is very nice but not very CF knowledgeable. I suppose I should call again tomorrow, but will they just admit us???

M

Mommafirst

UPDATE -- yeah, they want her in. We're being admitted in the morning. Its such a disconnect to see a perfectly healthy looking kiddo, who has no visible symptoms besides a cough that has lasted 22 days despite two antibiotics. She has so much energy its gonna be hard to keep her entertained. Any suggestions????

Alyssa is on day 21 of coughing (baseline is no cough for her). Doctor had us wait almost a week before starting meds. Then she did 10 days (of a 20 day course) of augmentin with no change, possibly worse, and now she is on Day 4 of Bactrim. She still has a solid, junky, cough but she is not running a fever. She has no appetite, but her energy is pretty normal.

If this were a virus, wouldn't it be gone? If its her basic bugs (she's only cultured staph continuously, some H. Flu and Strep occasionally) the augmentin and bactrim would have helped, right? Her last culture was normal flora, but I tend to doubt the accuracy since she is chronically cultured with low numbers of staph and all they do is a throat culture.

I don't know what to do. The two Cf nurses I trust are both away this week, the fill in is very nice but not very CF knowledgeable. I suppose I should call again tomorrow, but will they just admit us???

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Alyssa is on day 21 of coughing (baseline is no cough for her). Doctor had us wait almost a week before starting meds. Then she did 10 days (of a 20 day course) of augmentin with no change, possibly worse, and now she is on Day 4 of Bactrim. She still has a solid, junky, cough but she is not running a fever. She has no appetite, but her energy is pretty normal.
<br />
<br />If this were a virus, wouldn't it be gone? If its her basic bugs (she's only cultured staph continuously, some H. Flu and Strep occasionally) the augmentin and bactrim would have helped, right? Her last culture was normal flora, but I tend to doubt the accuracy since she is chronically cultured with low numbers of staph and all they do is a throat culture.
<br />
<br />I don't know what to do. The two Cf nurses I trust are both away this week, the fill in is very nice but not very CF knowledgeable. I suppose I should call again tomorrow, but will they just admit us???

S

sdelorenzo

When was her last culture? I would get her back in to do one if it has been over 6 weeks or so. Not sure about IV's. I would trust your instinct about IV's.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 5 both with cf, Grant, 6 months no cf

S

sdelorenzo

When was her last culture? I would get her back in to do one if it has been over 6 weeks or so. Not sure about IV's. I would trust your instinct about IV's.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 5 both with cf, Grant, 6 months no cf

RebekahsMom

Bek has an appointment tomorrow morning for possible admit. Back in Feb she tested positive for MRSA and they just wanted to watch her and see if her base line cough increased. It did on some days, but not enough to call the doc. Then the end of May she still tested positive so on June 4th she got put on a 2 week supply of Bactrim. Night of the 15th, I left a message on clinic voice mail letting them know her cough was as bad as ever and the Bactrim wan't working. They called in a 2 week supply of Zyvox the next day. She started that on June 17th. (This was the 3rd time she's been on Zyvox) July 3rd we had our clinic visit and she still tested positive for MRSA. Her lungs also showed some 'spider-webbing' in both lungs.

When they x-ray her in the morning, if there is no change or have gotten worse, she will be admitted for 2 weeks for IV antibiotics

RebekahsMom

Bek has an appointment tomorrow morning for possible admit. Back in Feb she tested positive for MRSA and they just wanted to watch her and see if her base line cough increased. It did on some days, but not enough to call the doc. Then the end of May she still tested positive so on June 4th she got put on a 2 week supply of Bactrim. Night of the 15th, I left a message on clinic voice mail letting them know her cough was as bad as ever and the Bactrim wan't working. They called in a 2 week supply of Zyvox the next day. She started that on June 17th. (This was the 3rd time she's been on Zyvox) July 3rd we had our clinic visit and she still tested positive for MRSA. Her lungs also showed some 'spider-webbing' in both lungs.

When they x-ray her in the morning, if there is no change or have gotten worse, she will be admitted for 2 weeks for IV antibiotics

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

RebekahsMom

<br />
<br />When they x-ray her in the morning, if there is no change or have gotten worse, she will be admitted for 2 weeks for IV antibiotics

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto on the culture. And I guess being there is a lot of stuff going around, I'd ask them to do a flu test as well even if she isn't feverish, just to rule it out.

I go thru the same issues when DS gets a cough and he rarely spikes a fever right away, though the first sign that he's coming down with something, even before he starts to cough is increased respiratory rate at rest.

Just seems a very long time to be dealing with a cough.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto on the culture. And I guess being there is a lot of stuff going around, I'd ask them to do a flu test as well even if she isn't feverish, just to rule it out.

I go thru the same issues when DS gets a cough and he rarely spikes a fever right away, though the first sign that he's coming down with something, even before he starts to cough is increased respiratory rate at rest.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I go thru the same issues when DS gets a cough and he rarely spikes a fever right away, though the first sign that he's coming down with something, even before he starts to cough is increased respiratory rate at rest.
<br />
<br />Just seems a very long time to be dealing with a cough.
<br />