Is sweat testing

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>hmmm...interesting...ill get the doctor to do both tests, what are your symptoms? that is, if you dont mind me asking...my son has had atleast one of them, (that i know of) and that was the meconium plug...what else should i look for just in case? </end quote></div>

Yes, definately push for the extended panel blood test. My son's cf clinic always bases a diagnosis on either 2 positive sweat tests or a pos. sweat test and a positive blood test (genetic testing picking up 2 mutations). Some genetic tests only screen for a fraction of the mutations, so push for an extended panel, such as Ambry's cf amplified or Quest diagnostics extended panel.

While you're waiting for the results, some other symptoms: your son may taste very salty when you kiss his forehead, he may have a ravenous appetite, his stools may be very bulky and oily/greasy, and may be very stinky. But it may be hard to tell in a newborn. And the stools would only be affected if he was pancreatic insufficient, which some people with CF are and some are not. Plus, in the case of my son and some others on this site, pancreatic insufficiency didn't show up for some time. Doctors can test for this with as fecal fat test. They can see if his body is absorbing enough fats by testing his stools.

Try not to freak out too bad in the mean time, and keep us posted if you can. This site is a wonderful source of information and support. People here have gone through exactly what you are now, and know how you're feeling (like myself!). There are a ton of new drugs out or being researched now to help people with cf live long happy lives, its not a death sentence. Please make sure if you do research that you read update information. There's a lot of old, scary info out there! I recommend CFF.org.(the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
Feel free to ask us any question you may have! I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your little guy is doing well!

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>hmmm...interesting...ill get the doctor to do both tests, what are your symptoms? that is, if you dont mind me asking...my son has had atleast one of them, (that i know of) and that was the meconium plug...what else should i look for just in case? </end quote></div>

Yes, definately push for the extended panel blood test. My son's cf clinic always bases a diagnosis on either 2 positive sweat tests or a pos. sweat test and a positive blood test (genetic testing picking up 2 mutations). Some genetic tests only screen for a fraction of the mutations, so push for an extended panel, such as Ambry's cf amplified or Quest diagnostics extended panel.

While you're waiting for the results, some other symptoms: your son may taste very salty when you kiss his forehead, he may have a ravenous appetite, his stools may be very bulky and oily/greasy, and may be very stinky. But it may be hard to tell in a newborn. And the stools would only be affected if he was pancreatic insufficient, which some people with CF are and some are not. Plus, in the case of my son and some others on this site, pancreatic insufficiency didn't show up for some time. Doctors can test for this with as fecal fat test. They can see if his body is absorbing enough fats by testing his stools.

Try not to freak out too bad in the mean time, and keep us posted if you can. This site is a wonderful source of information and support. People here have gone through exactly what you are now, and know how you're feeling (like myself!). There are a ton of new drugs out or being researched now to help people with cf live long happy lives, its not a death sentence. Please make sure if you do research that you read update information. There's a lot of old, scary info out there! I recommend CFF.org.(the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
Feel free to ask us any question you may have! I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your little guy is doing well!

anonymous

thanks guys...ill keep everyone posted on whats going on...we go to the doctor today, so im going to write everything down, and ask his doctor about it...you guys have been a great help!! keep up the good work!!!

anonymous

thanks guys...ill keep everyone posted on whats going on...we go to the doctor today, so im going to write everything down, and ask his doctor about it...you guys have been a great help!! keep up the good work!!!

anonymous

anonymous

well seeing as how we already knew that squeaker was a carrier, apparently, thats the blood test...all that we have left is the sweat test, and the doctor is going to set up the test for me...but other than that, i have no idea whats going on...next time i go in, ill see if he has all of squeakers med files from the hospital, and see if he knows what gene he carries...so im pretty much stuck in a rut until everything goes through...

anonymous

well seeing as how we already knew that squeaker was a carrier, apparently, thats the blood test...all that we have left is the sweat test, and the doctor is going to set up the test for me...but other than that, i have no idea whats going on...next time i go in, ill see if he has all of squeakers med files from the hospital, and see if he knows what gene he carries...so im pretty much stuck in a rut until everything goes through...

anonymous