Is swimming okay?

jaimers

Super Moderator
i swam competitively from age 7 to age 16 and then got burned out of the year round practices and i messed up my shoulders BUT i can tell you that those years are the healthiest i've EVER been in my life. i would say the exercise benefits outweigh the negatives. i do culture PA and some other things but was in the hospital far less frequently while i was getting good, consistent exercise in the pool and in other sports. i'm still doing pretty good and shower multiple times a day sometimes haha!

jaimers

Super Moderator
i swam competitively from age 7 to age 16 and then got burned out of the year round practices and i messed up my shoulders BUT i can tell you that those years are the healthiest i've EVER been in my life. i would say the exercise benefits outweigh the negatives. i do culture PA and some other things but was in the hospital far less frequently while i was getting good, consistent exercise in the pool and in other sports. i'm still doing pretty good and shower multiple times a day sometimes haha!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

cdale613

I spent my childhood around pools, lakes, the ocean, etc. My parents signed me up for swimming lessons when I was crawling. I completed lifeguard training, and was certified as a red cross Water Safety Instructor. I taught swimming lessons for 6 years (most of high school and college).

Swimming is an important life skill, and GREAT exercise for cfers. The rythmic breathing pattern of freestyle help me get up tons of crap, and kept my airways open better than any other exercise out there. I don't swim as much as I should - pool access is a challenge, and I like biking and running more, but I know I should, and I'm thrilled I have the know how to pick it back up if/when the pool access issue improves.

PA grows everywhere. Do you really expect you or your kid to never take a shower, never go in a pool or lake??

To not let your CFer swim because they have CF is letting CF win. It tells them that CF is a reason not to do things, and in my opinion, that is terrible message to send them. If you want your CFer to push themselves to succeed in all walks of life, but more importantly, to succeed in beating CF, they have to believe they can do anything they set their minds to. You don't learn to fight by being kept out of the ring.

To tell a kid "you can't do this because you have CF" will discourage them, and teach them that it is OK to use CF as an excuse to not do things. It will also make them feel like they are less able than their peers, affect their self-esteem, and make them more likely to rebel against compliance with their CF routine.

Obviously many people with CF do have some limits to their physical abilities, but it is important that they discover those limits themselves instead of having them imposed by their parents or docs. If you raise them and forget to tell them that they are "supposed" to have limits, they may surprise you...

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

I spent my childhood around pools, lakes, the ocean, etc. My parents signed me up for swimming lessons when I was crawling. I completed lifeguard training, and was certified as a red cross Water Safety Instructor. I taught swimming lessons for 6 years (most of high school and college).

Swimming is an important life skill, and GREAT exercise for cfers. The rythmic breathing pattern of freestyle help me get up tons of crap, and kept my airways open better than any other exercise out there. I don't swim as much as I should - pool access is a challenge, and I like biking and running more, but I know I should, and I'm thrilled I have the know how to pick it back up if/when the pool access issue improves.

PA grows everywhere. Do you really expect you or your kid to never take a shower, never go in a pool or lake??

To not let your CFer swim because they have CF is letting CF win. It tells them that CF is a reason not to do things, and in my opinion, that is terrible message to send them. If you want your CFer to push themselves to succeed in all walks of life, but more importantly, to succeed in beating CF, they have to believe they can do anything they set their minds to. You don't learn to fight by being kept out of the ring.

To tell a kid "you can't do this because you have CF" will discourage them, and teach them that it is OK to use CF as an excuse to not do things. It will also make them feel like they are less able than their peers, affect their self-esteem, and make them more likely to rebel against compliance with their CF routine.

Obviously many people with CF do have some limits to their physical abilities, but it is important that they discover those limits themselves instead of having them imposed by their parents or docs. If you raise them and forget to tell them that they are "supposed" to have limits, they may surprise you...

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had a doctor who had a whole laundry list of don'ts including swimming; however, we feel it's important for him to learn how to swim. The community pool where he has lessons is very clean. We do avoid hot tubs, but children, any children aren't supposed to use them anyway, plus I've read a few articles about bacteria (fecal), etc. in hot tubs and I don't think I'll ever use one again. Bleah!

DS went to the community pool last summer with his preschool class, has swimming lessons, swims in the lake. There's only one time we've ever prevented him from swimming at a community pool and that's a local hotel with an indoor water slide. The health department has cited them numerous times -- they just don't maintain the proper chemical balance in their pool, either too much bacteria or too many chemicals.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had a doctor who had a whole laundry list of don'ts including swimming; however, we feel it's important for him to learn how to swim. The community pool where he has lessons is very clean. We do avoid hot tubs, but children, any children aren't supposed to use them anyway, plus I've read a few articles about bacteria (fecal), etc. in hot tubs and I don't think I'll ever use one again. Bleah!

DS went to the community pool last summer with his preschool class, has swimming lessons, swims in the lake. There's only one time we've ever prevented him from swimming at a community pool and that's a local hotel with an indoor water slide. The health department has cited them numerous times -- they just don't maintain the proper chemical balance in their pool, either too much bacteria or too many chemicals.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

CartersMom

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far! It really helps to hear everyone else's experiences and opinions. Trying to find our comfort level with how to protect Carter without overprotecting him is proving to be a challenge. I guess it will take some time and experience to figure it out.

CartersMom

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far! It really helps to hear everyone else's experiences and opinions. Trying to find our comfort level with how to protect Carter without overprotecting him is proving to be a challenge. I guess it will take some time and experience to figure it out.

CartersMom

CartersMom

CartersMom