Is there an easier way to give my toddler the salt he needs?

C

Colsophnel

I try giving it to him in his formula but he chokes it up and throws up... Any suggestions? He has 8 oz with 6 scoops of formula for food and a gerber jar (6 oz). He can eat pretty much anything now. He's 17 months. He has to have 1 1/4 tsp of salt daily.

JustDucky

I agree, regular food would be better for adding salt. Drinking a salty concoction would make me gag too! Do it in divided amounts, not all at once and he probably won't even notice.
Good luck!

Jenn 40 wCF

C

Colsophnel

Do you think he gets enough if I give him potato chips and french fries?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Now that DS is older he self regulates. Has his own salt shaker and adds it to his popcorn, french fries, cookies... He also will take hits off the salt shaker. When he was younger, I'd add it to his food or check labels to see what foods were higher in sodium than others.

I asked about this not long ago since Asia is almost 5 and also has her own container for salt and doses it herself - Its a wonder to me to what she adds salt to or just likes it saying - mmmm yummy - mom try...
she even adds a bit salt to her drinking water sometimes...
but I believe its more the liking of taste and experimenting then the fact she gets not enough from me
however I was told that it's to early and she needs to take her salt anyway - she get hesr 10 ml 10% in morning yogurts or other food - not drinks - if she doesn't eat it all - I leave it for later.
she also loves popcorn, frenchfries and salty peanuts - her favorite.

M

mom2mason

I agree with all previous posts...add to his food & split throughout the day. DS gets some in his morning yogurt, doesn't even notice the taste. Also mix w/ applesauce at snack, he even loves it sprinkled on watermelon!

samaruba

I usually put in in the straw of a juice box (I'm Dutch. Not sure how you call those boxed juices for kids). I use a straw to take it out of the salt shaker, holding it horizontally and than carefully poor it into the straw in the juice box. It's gone with the first sip he takes and he doesn't even notice it. Works for us!

Gentrygirl

In Gatorade or Pedialyte if the doctor allows it. They can't fill up too much on juices that don't provide nutrition, or they won't have the appetite for the nutritious things they need. I found these to kind of mask the salty taste if it was too much in other things.

ldy

I would suggest Thermotabs. You can cut it up into small pieces if you need to.
I would be very careful with Gatorade/ PowerAde drinks with certain flavors in the USA. There is an ingredient
Called "Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO)". There are many stories about BVO but as it relates to CF, it means its a fat that nobody would ever believe was in an "electrolyte replacer". Therefore do you need to take enzymes with these types of drinks?

As an aside, BVO is banned in many countries.

H

heatherottery

My Ds is 9 mos and on Creon, so I add salt to his applesauce before his feedings and I put it into the baby food that I make for him.