Is this a terrible idea?

S

SarahProcter

Some mom friends of mine are raving about this new powdered mineral sunblock that they put on their kids really easily: <a href="http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/">http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/</a><div><br></div><div>My immediate gut reaction was that I don't want to be brushing a fine powder anywhere near my daughter lest she be breathing in tiny particles.</div><div><br></div><div>The manufacturer says that it's just like mineral foundation make up - I have no idea if that is safe or dangerous for folks with CF or other lung conditions either. But make up being used by an adult, I'd figure at least you could trust the adult not to breathe in at the wrong moment!</div><div><br></div><div>What say you: am I overreacting or is this a bad idea for my kid with CF? It would be lovely to reduce the horrible squirming fussy mess that sunscreen application is around here, but not at the risk of lung impacts...</div>

S

SarahProcter

Some mom friends of mine are raving about this new powdered mineral sunblock that they put on their kids really easily:<a href="http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/">http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/</a><br>My immediate gut reaction was that I don't want to be brushing a fine powder anywhere near my daughter lest she be breathing in tiny particles.<br>Themanufacturersays that it's just like mineral foundation make up - I have no idea if that is safe or dangerous for folks with CF or other lung conditions either. But make up being used by an adult, I'd figure at least you could trust the adult not to breathe in at the wrong moment!<br>What say you: am I overreacting or is this a bad idea for my kid with CF? It would be lovely to reduce the horrible squirming fussy mess that sunscreen application is around here, but not at the risk of lung impacts...

S

SarahProcter

Some mom friends of mine are raving about this new powdered mineral sunblock that they put on their kids really easily:<a href="http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/">http://www.ilovegoscreen.com/</a><br>My immediate gut reaction was that I don't want to be brushing a fine powder anywhere near my daughter lest she be breathing in tiny particles.<br>Themanufacturersays that it's just like mineral foundation make up - I have no idea if that is safe or dangerous for folks with CF or other lung conditions either. But make up being used by an adult, I'd figure at least you could trust the adult not to breathe in at the wrong moment!<br>What say you: am I overreacting or is this a bad idea for my kid with CF? It would be lovely to reduce the horrible squirming fussy mess that sunscreen application is around here, but not at the risk of lung impacts...

M

Mommafirst

You are NOT overreacting. I used that mineral foundation make up for awhile. I had a period of really bad breathing problems (long story, thought it was asthma, but testing showed it wasn't....turned out to be aspirated acid reflux). One day I was watching Dr. Oz do a show on the dangerous things lurking in your makeup bag. His number one concern was the tiny particles breathed in my the mineral makeup. I thought about it a long time and realized that this just isn't the kind of thing the FDA or any agency would consider testing for an item like this. I cut it out of my routine immediately. I loved the look of it, and haven't found a suitable replacement, but breathing is a priority!!! On the rare occasion that I use it, I will hold my breath until the powder is on and settled.

So, while you might want to do this on other body parts, for your kiddo, I would avoid the face. The sunscreen sticks are very easy while they are little and then when they get a bit older its not so hard to give them a little cream and they rub it into their face.

M

Mommafirst

You are NOT overreacting. I used that mineral foundation make up for awhile. I had a period of really bad breathing problems (long story, thought it was asthma, but testing showed it wasn't....turned out to be aspirated acid reflux). One day I was watching Dr. Oz do a show on the dangerous things lurking in your makeup bag. His number one concern was the tiny particles breathed in my the mineral makeup. I thought about it a long time and realized that this just isn't the kind of thing the FDA or any agency would consider testing for an item like this. I cut it out of my routine immediately. I loved the look of it, and haven't found a suitable replacement, but breathing is a priority!!! On the rare occasion that I use it, I will hold my breath until the powder is on and settled.

So, while you might want to do this on other body parts, for your kiddo, I would avoid the face. The sunscreen sticks are very easy while they are little and then when they get a bit older its not so hard to give them a little cream and they rub it into their face.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />So, while you might want to do this on other body parts, for your kiddo, I would avoid the face. The sunscreen sticks are very easy while they are little and then when they get a bit older its not so hard to give them a little cream and they rub it into their face.
<br />

CJPsMom

Not sure if you've tried it yet, but they also make colored sunscreens - they go on in color, then fade away.  Seems to be a big hit with the little ones!<br><br>And you're not over-reacting.  I didn't want my LO sitting at the same end of a hot tub at an outdoor pool.  I know my in-laws thought I was over-reacting, but there's so little about CF that we can control, I figured I should do what I can with the things I can control!<br>

CJPsMom

Not sure if you've tried it yet, but they also make colored sunscreens - they go on in color, then fade away. Seems to be a big hit with the little ones!<br><br>And you're not over-reacting. I didn't want my LO sitting at the same end of a hot tub at an outdoor pool. I know my in-laws thought I was over-reacting, but there's so little about CF that we can control, I figured I should do what I can with the things I can control!<br>

CJPsMom

Not sure if you've tried it yet, but they also make colored sunscreens - they go on in color, then fade away. Seems to be a big hit with the little ones!<br><br>And you're not over-reacting. I didn't want my LO sitting at the same end of a hot tub at an outdoor pool. I know my in-laws thought I was over-reacting, but there's so little about CF that we can control, I figured I should do what I can with the things I can control!<br>

dolphinswim

<P>just to add a little info to the makeup bag scenario...</P>
<P>there have been recalls of certain makeup products over time and for some, it has been due to cf specific bacteria.  i no longer buy the cheap stuff in a pinch and i am wary of, let's say, "made in          " brands as a rule of thumb.</P>
<P>kw</P>

dolphinswim

<P>just to add a little info to the makeup bag scenario...</P>
<P>there have been recalls of certain makeup products over time and for some, it has been due to cf specific bacteria. i no longer buy the cheap stuff in a pinch and i am wary of, let's say, "made in " brands as a rule of thumb.</P>
<P>kw</P>

dolphinswim

<P><BR>just to add a little info to the makeup bag scenario...</P>
<P>there have been recalls of certain makeup products over time and for some, it has been due to cf specific bacteria. i no longer buy the cheap stuff in a pinch and i am wary of, let's say, "made in " brands as a rule of thumb.</P>
<P>kw</P>