IV antibiotics periodically or as needed?

Jeana

It seems there are two distinct opinions of CF doctors as far as PICC line/port antibiotic treatment.
Camp 1: Treat every CF patient with IV antibiotics every 6 months (or every year) whether they have low PFTs or not.
Camp 2: Treat with IV antibiotics when CF patient has a substantial PFT drop (like 10% is what my current doctor does)

Havoc

That is changing(or should be) as new research is presented. There was a thread a few weeks ago about this.

G

Gorf

I personally would only treat as needed. The germs can and do grow immune to them if used to much. That is the case with a couple of mine I used to use. Another thing is your body can change and grow an allergy to meds over time.

Vampy

My old clinic told me that no one does periodical treatments that its not needed! (See why i got a new clinic!!) My new clinic so far as told me whenever i FEEL like i need one to come in!! He even said that because i'm a mother that i have a good chance at doing mine at home to take care of my son!

CyrilCrodius

More and more studies find that doing preventive IV treatments is actually BAD, especially because it builds up resistance.
My clinic used to do preventive IV treatments every 6 months for every CF no matter how good they were doing. They stopped doing that about 10 years ago.

sweetninis

I think medicine should be given when needed other wise they body becomes resistant and meds don't work when u need them to work.When my daughter was diagnosed I met couple of docs some of them gave me a list of meds including antibiotics on alternate days and lots of nabs I skippped that doc and continue to visit another doc who give meds by seeing the condition of the patient.

Printer

One of my Doctors explained that as they treat the problems with drugs there is colateral damage to the lungs, so only treat as necessary.

Bill

luv2run

What about Tobi? I've never been on IV antibiotics for cf...just cipro when I have a cold (virus, flu, etc )that won't go away That's like once a year. but I try to keep up with the Tobi - it's more like every 3 mos. that i take it. Soooo...take Tobi as recommended or as "needed?"

Kristen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>luv2run</b></i> What about Tobi? I've never been on IV antibiotics for cf...just cipro when I have a cold (virus, flu, etc )that won't go away That's like once a year. but I try to keep up with the Tobi - it's more like every 3 mos. that i take it. Soooo...take Tobi as recommended or as "needed?"</end quote>

Tobi is usually taken every other month to manage PA.