IVF and PGD for couple that are both cariers

croomabu

Hello,

as always thanking you in advance for the great insights on this site..

so.. my husband and I carry the CF gene..our daughter has CF she is 16 mths and doing great ( knocking on wood)

we are thinking about another child and it appears our insurance would cover IVF and PGD given the "medical necessity" ..but I am not sure we are quite ready just now..however we may have to change jobs and therefore health insurance in about a year .

i would be very interested in learning if this is normal practice for Insurance companies or if i shouldn't look this "gift horse" in the mouth ..def not comfortable with the "one in four" gamble outside of IVF..

cheers !!

croomabu

Hello,

as always thanking you in advance for the great insights on this site..

so.. my husband and I carry the CF gene..our daughter has CF she is 16 mths and doing great ( knocking on wood)

we are thinking about another child and it appears our insurance would cover IVF and PGD given the "medical necessity" ..but I am not sure we are quite ready just now..however we may have to change jobs and therefore health insurance in about a year .

i would be very interested in learning if this is normal practice for Insurance companies or if i shouldn't look this "gift horse" in the mouth ..def not comfortable with the "one in four" gamble outside of IVF..

cheers !!

croomabu

Hello,
<br />
<br />as always thanking you in advance for the great insights on this site..
<br />
<br />..
<br />so.. my husband and I carry the CF gene..our daughter has CF she is 16 mths and doing great ( knocking on wood)
<br />
<br />we are thinking about another child and it appears our insurance would cover IVF and PGD given the "medical necessity" ..but I am not sure we are quite ready just now..however we may have to change jobs and therefore health insurance in about a year .
<br />
<br />i would be very interested in learning if this is normal practice for Insurance companies or if i shouldn't look this "gift horse" in the mouth ..def not comfortable with the "one in four" gamble outside of IVF..
<br />
<br />
<br />cheers !!

If you are comfortable with doing the ivf and insurance is will to pay go for it. Ultimately it is more costly for the insurance companies to pay for cfers care. It is not that surprising your insurance will pay for the ivf.

Gina
Mom to Sophia 3, Peter & Gavin 20 months, all w/ cf df508 &ps849x

If you are comfortable with doing the ivf and insurance is will to pay go for it. Ultimately it is more costly for the insurance companies to pay for cfers care. It is not that surprising your insurance will pay for the ivf.

Gina
Mom to Sophia 3, Peter & Gavin 20 months, all w/ cf df508 &ps849x

<br />
<br />Gina
<br /> Mom to Sophia 3, Peter & Gavin 20 months, all w/ cf df508 &ps849x

julie

What state do you live in? There are a number of states that have a mandate for minimum infertility coverage.

However, if you are NOT in one of those states with a mandate, and you don't work for a big company like boeing or microsoft, you are INCREDIBLY lucky to have IVF and PGD coverage and if you really do want another child but might not have the insurance for much longer, I'd honestly put a LOT of thought into doing it now!

IVF ranges 15-20k and PGD ranges $6-9K and even if you can argue that it is "medically necessary" to prevent another CF child, if an ins. company does not offer IVF and PGD coverage, you will likely spend YEARS fighting them in an attempt to get them to cover it.

julie

What state do you live in? There are a number of states that have a mandate for minimum infertility coverage.

However, if you are NOT in one of those states with a mandate, and you don't work for a big company like boeing or microsoft, you are INCREDIBLY lucky to have IVF and PGD coverage and if you really do want another child but might not have the insurance for much longer, I'd honestly put a LOT of thought into doing it now!

IVF ranges 15-20k and PGD ranges $6-9K and even if you can argue that it is "medically necessary" to prevent another CF child, if an ins. company does not offer IVF and PGD coverage, you will likely spend YEARS fighting them in an attempt to get them to cover it.

julie

<br />
<br />However, if you are NOT in one of those states with a mandate, and you don't work for a big company like boeing or microsoft, you are INCREDIBLY lucky to have IVF and PGD coverage and if you really do want another child but might not have the insurance for much longer, I'd honestly put a LOT of thought into doing it now!
<br />
<br />IVF ranges 15-20k and PGD ranges $6-9K and even if you can argue that it is "medically necessary" to prevent another CF child, if an ins. company does not offer IVF and PGD coverage, you will likely spend YEARS fighting them in an attempt to get them to cover it.

rwatterson

I joined the forum at just the right time! I'm an embryologist (in Illinois, an insurance mandated state). If your insurance company claims to cover IVF AND PGD, I would be shocked. Almost ALWAYS is PGD not considered a medical necessity. IVF for CFers may be covered. I would definitely try to talk to your insurance company in more detail about coverage, and I would suggest starting IVF as soon as possible to maximize your chances of pregnancy.

That being said, IVF + PGD is a GREAT option for CFers with a partner who is a carrier. There are two different types of PGD now offered, day 3 (blastomere biopsy) and day 5 (trophectoderm biopsy) to have this testing done. Each has its own risks/benefits. PM me if you have any questions about the process!

rwatterson

I joined the forum at just the right time! I'm an embryologist (in Illinois, an insurance mandated state). If your insurance company claims to cover IVF AND PGD, I would be shocked. Almost ALWAYS is PGD not considered a medical necessity. IVF for CFers may be covered. I would definitely try to talk to your insurance company in more detail about coverage, and I would suggest starting IVF as soon as possible to maximize your chances of pregnancy.

That being said, IVF + PGD is a GREAT option for CFers with a partner who is a carrier. There are two different types of PGD now offered, day 3 (blastomere biopsy) and day 5 (trophectoderm biopsy) to have this testing done. Each has its own risks/benefits. PM me if you have any questions about the process!

rwatterson

<br />
<br />That being said, IVF + PGD is a GREAT option for CFers with a partner who is a carrier. There are two different types of PGD now offered, day 3 (blastomere biopsy) and day 5 (trophectoderm biopsy) to have this testing done. Each has its own risks/benefits. PM me if you have any questions about the process!

julie

rwatterson, My organization (www.dafcf.org) is assisting a couple with an IVF ins. issue in IL. Do you have much knowledge about the state mandated coverage (specifically donors?). I'd LOVE to bounce a few questions off you if you would be willing. Could you email me if you could answer a few questions? services@dafcf.org

Thanks

julie

rwatterson, My organization (www.dafcf.org) is assisting a couple with an IVF ins. issue in IL. Do you have much knowledge about the state mandated coverage (specifically donors?). I'd LOVE to bounce a few questions off you if you would be willing. Could you email me if you could answer a few questions? services@dafcf.org

Thanks

julie

<br />
<br />Thanks

serendipity730

I second what rwatterson said. I am a genetic counselor and have never heard of insurance covering PGD (unfortunately, they feel having a healthy child is a luxury). I would triple check this. If it is covered, I'd suggest starting the process now.

serendipity730

I second what rwatterson said. I am a genetic counselor and have never heard of insurance covering PGD (unfortunately, they feel having a healthy child is a luxury). I would triple check this. If it is covered, I'd suggest starting the process now.

serendipity730