IVF costs

julie

It cost us about $15,000 and that included the sperm retrieval for Mark. Surprisingly, my ins. covered quite a few of the ultrasounds, office visits and blood draws.

The catch???? My ins. DOES cover infertility diagnosis and treatment but specifically excludes IVF or anything associated with IVF.

Many couples seek help from fertility clinics and use medications and monitoring while still trying to get pregnant by having intercourse. This type of treatment (meds and monitoring, but having intercourse) is often covered by many ins. companies.

So, my doctors office didn't bill anything related to IVF (sperm retrieval, egg retrieval, ICSI fertilization, Embryo transfer...) and my ins. surprised us. It's complicated thought because you don't really know if your ins. will pick up any costs until you've already started the procedures/billing.

There is an IVF scholarship that I HIGHLY recommend. Visit www.inciid.org, and click on their program "the Heart". I applied in August 2005, and was awarded a scholarship in April 2006 but I had already become pregnant so it went to the next person in line. They won't pay for any of your surrogacy costs, but if you are selected, they will pay for all your IVF costs, and you do have to raise (raise, fundraise, NOT give) $2000 to help keep their program going (they are 100% non-profit),

Let me know if you have more questions, especially about INCIID, I'm happy to help.

About the leftover embryos...Mark and I decided we would freeze them first, (in case it didn't work, or we want more kids) and when we were all done having babies, to donate ours to science. I think whatever a couple decides to do is what is right for them. A lot donate them to another couple who can't have babies with their own eggs/sperm, and I highly admire that. I personally couldn't donate my embryos.... but to each his own

julie

It cost us about $15,000 and that included the sperm retrieval for Mark. Surprisingly, my ins. covered quite a few of the ultrasounds, office visits and blood draws.

The catch???? My ins. DOES cover infertility diagnosis and treatment but specifically excludes IVF or anything associated with IVF.

Many couples seek help from fertility clinics and use medications and monitoring while still trying to get pregnant by having intercourse. This type of treatment (meds and monitoring, but having intercourse) is often covered by many ins. companies.

So, my doctors office didn't bill anything related to IVF (sperm retrieval, egg retrieval, ICSI fertilization, Embryo transfer...) and my ins. surprised us. It's complicated thought because you don't really know if your ins. will pick up any costs until you've already started the procedures/billing.

There is an IVF scholarship that I HIGHLY recommend. Visit www.inciid.org, and click on their program "the Heart". I applied in August 2005, and was awarded a scholarship in April 2006 but I had already become pregnant so it went to the next person in line. They won't pay for any of your surrogacy costs, but if you are selected, they will pay for all your IVF costs, and you do have to raise (raise, fundraise, NOT give) $2000 to help keep their program going (they are 100% non-profit),

Let me know if you have more questions, especially about INCIID, I'm happy to help.

About the leftover embryos...Mark and I decided we would freeze them first, (in case it didn't work, or we want more kids) and when we were all done having babies, to donate ours to science. I think whatever a couple decides to do is what is right for them. A lot donate them to another couple who can't have babies with their own eggs/sperm, and I highly admire that. I personally couldn't donate my embryos.... but to each his own

julie

julie

julie

C

Cariann2005Rob

i looked into ivf with my sister being the surrogate and it was going to cost us around 12,500. quite pricy but nothing compared to the price if you were to use someone outside that wanted money to do it! But we never ended up doing it! Now that we are really wanting a child i am going to see if i can have a child myself. my pfts are only 50% so i guess that is still low but i am gonna try and see if i can. good luck to you and your journey!

C

Cariann2005Rob

i looked into ivf with my sister being the surrogate and it was going to cost us around 12,500. quite pricy but nothing compared to the price if you were to use someone outside that wanted money to do it! But we never ended up doing it! Now that we are really wanting a child i am going to see if i can have a child myself. my pfts are only 50% so i guess that is still low but i am gonna try and see if i can. good luck to you and your journey!

C

Cariann2005Rob

C

Cariann2005Rob

C

Cariann2005Rob

PLUCKY

It does depend on location and clinic. Don't expect insurance to cover much if anything. My clinic made you pay to freeze any left overs and you could decide later to donate or save for later. We didn't have any make it to freeze stage. Insurance companies are coming around in some states. Our insurance is issued out of Illinios and it was Blue cross blue shield they covered IVF 90% and copay on meds all in all our cost was around $20,000 before insurance we paid around $1,200 out of pocket very fortunate.

PLUCKY

It does depend on location and clinic. Don't expect insurance to cover much if anything. My clinic made you pay to freeze any left overs and you could decide later to donate or save for later. We didn't have any make it to freeze stage. Insurance companies are coming around in some states. Our insurance is issued out of Illinios and it was Blue cross blue shield they covered IVF 90% and copay on meds all in all our cost was around $20,000 before insurance we paid around $1,200 out of pocket very fortunate.

PLUCKY

PLUCKY

PLUCKY

idajune

Thank you all for responding. I guess I have more problems with family not agreeing with the concept of surrogacy and the ethical issues of it then I do with finding the money - which appears will take a while to earn or find. The other hard part will be finding a surrogate, I asked my sister about three years ago, then ago when we found out for sure that I wasn't going to be able to carry it, and she hasn't given me an answer - so we'll see.

Thanks again, I am happy to hear so many have had such great outcomes with IVF.

idajune

Thank you all for responding. I guess I have more problems with family not agreeing with the concept of surrogacy and the ethical issues of it then I do with finding the money - which appears will take a while to earn or find. The other hard part will be finding a surrogate, I asked my sister about three years ago, then ago when we found out for sure that I wasn't going to be able to carry it, and she hasn't given me an answer - so we'll see.

idajune

idajune

idajune