IVs and BMs

nu65

Just a warning: this may be TMI. But everytime I go on IV antibiotics, like the 2nd day, I have very loose stools and this continues for the entire period I am on them. Doesn't matter what antibiotic, its always the same. I'm annoyed by it because I feel like everything I've eaten has just gone to waste.

Has anyone found a good way to get rid of this during IV treatment? I almost never have BM troubles until IVs. And does anyone know why this is? Is it because of the extra fluid?

nu65

Just a warning: this may be TMI. But everytime I go on IV antibiotics, like the 2nd day, I have very loose stools and this continues for the entire period I am on them. Doesn't matter what antibiotic, its always the same. I'm annoyed by it because I feel like everything I've eaten has just gone to waste.

Has anyone found a good way to get rid of this during IV treatment? I almost never have BM troubles until IVs. And does anyone know why this is? Is it because of the extra fluid?

nu65

nu65

nu65

<br />
<br />Has anyone found a good way to get rid of this during IV treatment? I almost never have BM troubles until IVs. And does anyone know why this is? Is it because of the extra fluid?

MicheleGazelle

I have never done IV antibiotics, but my understanding is that the reason to do IV's is because you can give much stronger antibiotics that way than anyone can tolerate orally. No matter how you take them, they will kill off the gut flora. By weight, about half of human poop is from the micro-organisms that live in our guts and make it possible to digest our food. So if you decimate the population of flora in the gut, you have bad diarrhea.

Probiotics to help replenish the flora may help. Coconut oil is supposed to do good things for gut flora, but can also cause diarrhea (for different reasons), so it would be best to consume small quantities all the time rather than take a whole lot while on IV's. Sea salt has done good things for my gut. Glyconutrients have a track record of helping the gut. Gelatin can sometimes help firm things up and seems to do good things for the gut.

I feel like there was at least one more thing I wanted to add but it escapes me.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

I have never done IV antibiotics, but my understanding is that the reason to do IV's is because you can give much stronger antibiotics that way than anyone can tolerate orally. No matter how you take them, they will kill off the gut flora. By weight, about half of human poop is from the micro-organisms that live in our guts and make it possible to digest our food. So if you decimate the population of flora in the gut, you have bad diarrhea.

Probiotics to help replenish the flora may help. Coconut oil is supposed to do good things for gut flora, but can also cause diarrhea (for different reasons), so it would be best to consume small quantities all the time rather than take a whole lot while on IV's. Sea salt has done good things for my gut. Glyconutrients have a track record of helping the gut. Gelatin can sometimes help firm things up and seems to do good things for the gut.

I feel like there was at least one more thing I wanted to add but it escapes me.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Probiotics to help replenish the flora may help. Coconut oil is supposed to do good things for gut flora, but can also cause diarrhea (for different reasons), so it would be best to consume small quantities all the time rather than take a whole lot while on IV's. Sea salt has done good things for my gut. Glyconutrients have a track record of helping the gut. Gelatin can sometimes help firm things up and seems to do good things for the gut.
<br />
<br />I feel like there was at least one more thing I wanted to add but it escapes me.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

H

hillthekhore

The big thing I was told was to eat lots of yogurt with live cultures. That should replenish some of the bacteria and make your stools a bit better.

H

hillthekhore

The big thing I was told was to eat lots of yogurt with live cultures. That should replenish some of the bacteria and make your stools a bit better.

H

hillthekhore

H

hillthekhore

H

hillthekhore

just1more

Just to 2nd what has been said. The abx are killing the 'good' bacteria in your gut.

You need to take some form of probiotics, and you will likely see that this helps/solves it.

There was a large thread there a few weeks ago on this topic, you should be able to search for probiotics and get a good bit of feedback/ideas.

just1more

Just to 2nd what has been said. The abx are killing the 'good' bacteria in your gut.

You need to take some form of probiotics, and you will likely see that this helps/solves it.

There was a large thread there a few weeks ago on this topic, you should be able to search for probiotics and get a good bit of feedback/ideas.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />You need to take some form of probiotics, and you will likely see that this helps/solves it.
<br />
<br />There was a large thread there a few weeks ago on this topic, you should be able to search for probiotics and get a good bit of feedback/ideas.