Jobs for people with CF?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Jason ... After you get some money coming in, a vehicle won't be far away. Save your money. . . And it won't take long. Really. I started saving up for my first vehicle when I was 16. Had to save up for it with part time work - it took me about a year and a half with deposits into savings with every paycheck. Sometimes small amounts, but always saved something. I had to get rides to work from my parents and friends until I could afford my own car. But it was mine and it allowed me freedom . . . And the freedom to get better work, and more school. A little at a time . . . .

RockyLass

Hi there, I am in the same boat, not ever really worked and still live with my folks. I am sending you a PM. I am going to school when I can, it's online courses, which is AWESOME !

Jennyvb17

Try going into a temp agency like manpower. They will sit you down and test your typing and such. Try getting something as simple as data entry or even a factory job. While you do that look around at what others are doing in that business, see if there are things you are interested in.

Deirdre Kay

Any job that isn't going to be a huge risk to your health. This depends on the severity of your CF, thus the limitations you might have at work. You could consider freelance work, which is something I am beginning to look into, personally. I think it's the same as being a contractor (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, part time work is probably doable for you. This way you have flexibility with your schedule. However, health insurance is the big question. Do a little research and try for something that interests you!

marc0198

All jobs have their own risks. I've taught for four years, I don't plan on teaching forever. If you have something that interests you but doesn't initially guarantee revenue, teaching is the ideal profession. You can also apply at virtual academies if being around people is a concern. No matter what you decide, contact your local vocational rehabilitation office. You will be eligible for tuition vouchers if school is in your future, or you may get help with job placement. Voc. Rehab is invaluable for you and it costs nothing.

J

Jason1981

Try going into a temp agency like manpower. They will sit you down and test your typing and such. Try getting something as simple as data entry or even a factory job. While you do that look around at what others are doing in that business, see if there are things you are interested in.

Unfortunately, the closest one is in Oakland, CA. (And the factory jobs here in Fairfield require previous experience...which I don't have. )

randford

We really need to find someway to create jobs postings, specifically for CF patients. This forum would be perfect for that. We have so many people in our networks. Surely there has to be a way to garner that power and offer opportunities from companies that might participate as "CF friendly". Even having CFF create a "work-from-home" program where participating companies would offer jobs to patients. They can stay at home, work, earn a living and avoid expose, management scrutiny and discrimination. Ultimately the Social Security laws should be changed so that we all can qualify. Perhaps I'm being naïve but there has to be a solution.
Hi, I've been reading this forum for awhile, and decided to post . Anyway, I'm 32..never had any kind of job, live with my dad and step-mom. I tried college years ago, but didn't even know what I wanted to do (this was back when I was living with my mom in Louisiana, instead of in the Fairfield/Susiun area of California. )

So...I have no job experience, no vehicle (except a bicycle, and there are buses...but the buses don't run every day here. ) and if I were able to go back to college (or some kind of trade school, maybe?), I have no idea what kind of job/career would be good for someone with CF. Doesn't help that I'm also a bit shy around people at first.

I guess what I'm asking is, what kind of jobs are good for someone with CF? I'll probably edit this later to describe my situation better, I guess.

Living with CF really sucks.

J

Jason1981

Well, right now, I'm learning html (seems like the easiest of the programming languages to start learning. Just learned how to create links to websites, create different size headings, etc...only a few lessons in. ) on this website called Codecademy.

Biggest worry right now is hoping I sent in everything needed to keep my Medi-Cal (I think it's basically California's version of Medicaide?).