Jobs! PLZ HELP!

robert321

Just a bit of advice, if you are at all good with computers, or at least know how to turn one on and type on it. Go take a course or do the self study route and become microsoft office certified. Its a little thing, but especially if you get pretty good with microsoft access, it can go a long way towards getting a "desk job" instead of something on your feet all day. Its a course that is taught in highschools and really isn't horribly difficult. I haven't gotten mine, so I can't really get on the soap box too much, but I don't know many people that have gotten certified that aren't using it in thier job.

tesorotiffa

I worked for a chemical plant while I was working on my chemistry degree (I was pretty healthy at that point), but I quit to move to Italy. Anyway, I was nothing but sick and in the hospital all of last year and despite knowing that, a month ago they called to offer me a Chemist position. Naturally it has health benefits and all of that. I got really lucky that they called and offered me a position knowing that me getting sick happens very randomly!

I think having a college education will help you a good bit in trying to find a job that will offer health insurance, disability, and all of those perks.

tesorotiffa

I worked for a chemical plant while I was working on my chemistry degree (I was pretty healthy at that point), but I quit to move to Italy. Anyway, I was nothing but sick and in the hospital all of last year and despite knowing that, a month ago they called to offer me a Chemist position. Naturally it has health benefits and all of that. I got really lucky that they called and offered me a position knowing that me getting sick happens very randomly!

I think having a college education will help you a good bit in trying to find a job that will offer health insurance, disability, and all of those perks.

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />I think having a college education will help you a good bit in trying to find a job that will offer health insurance, disability, and all of those perks.

NYCLawGirl

i am an attorney, which means that i did 7 years of higher education (4 years undergrad, 3 years law school). not everyone can/wants to do that, however, so you shouldn't just assume that all "good" jobs require grad degrees.

honestly, as tesorotiffa mentioned, college is REALLY helpful. if not a bachelors, then at least an associate's degree. lots of schools offer these programs part-time or even online, and many have scholarship options. i know the BEF does specific scholarships for CFers who want to go to the university of pheonix, an online option that is well-respected by employers.

my top advice is to REALLY sit down and assess your interests, skills, and ultimate goals. don't half-ass it (excuse the language). i worry that many CFers lose sight of ultimate career goals and fulfillment because we've been told our whole life that we have limited life expectancy. that may be true, but who wants to sit at home for 38.6 years?!

do what you love. i promise, it will make a difference in your situation: both financial and otherwise.

NYCLawGirl

i am an attorney, which means that i did 7 years of higher education (4 years undergrad, 3 years law school). not everyone can/wants to do that, however, so you shouldn't just assume that all "good" jobs require grad degrees.

honestly, as tesorotiffa mentioned, college is REALLY helpful. if not a bachelors, then at least an associate's degree. lots of schools offer these programs part-time or even online, and many have scholarship options. i know the BEF does specific scholarships for CFers who want to go to the university of pheonix, an online option that is well-respected by employers.

my top advice is to REALLY sit down and assess your interests, skills, and ultimate goals. don't half-ass it (excuse the language). i worry that many CFers lose sight of ultimate career goals and fulfillment because we've been told our whole life that we have limited life expectancy. that may be true, but who wants to sit at home for 38.6 years?!

do what you love. i promise, it will make a difference in your situation: both financial and otherwise.

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />honestly, as tesorotiffa mentioned, college is REALLY helpful. if not a bachelors, then at least an associate's degree. lots of schools offer these programs part-time or even online, and many have scholarship options. i know the BEF does specific scholarships for CFers who want to go to the university of pheonix, an online option that is well-respected by employers.
<br />
<br />my top advice is to REALLY sit down and assess your interests, skills, and ultimate goals. don't half-ass it (excuse the language). i worry that many CFers lose sight of ultimate career goals and fulfillment because we've been told our whole life that we have limited life expectancy. that may be true, but who wants to sit at home for 38.6 years?!
<br />
<br />do what you love. i promise, it will make a difference in your situation: both financial and otherwise.

I agree with LawGirl. Lots of colleges offer online courses now. Have you considered that? Maybe you could apply for financial aid and in the meantime, work somewhere related to what your major is? Even if you don't want to take the time to get an associates degree, what about getting your certification in a certain area?

I went to a community college and got my associates in Office Systems and have worked in law offices ever since (10 years). I'm now studying for my CLA exam. I say that to say you don't have to have a Bachelor's degree to have a great job. I love my job and have the most wonderful bosses in the world. If I didn't get up and go to work every day, I'd worry myself sick over stupid stuff!!

I agree with LawGirl. Lots of colleges offer online courses now. Have you considered that? Maybe you could apply for financial aid and in the meantime, work somewhere related to what your major is? Even if you don't want to take the time to get an associates degree, what about getting your certification in a certain area?

I went to a community college and got my associates in Office Systems and have worked in law offices ever since (10 years). I'm now studying for my CLA exam. I say that to say you don't have to have a Bachelor's degree to have a great job. I love my job and have the most wonderful bosses in the world. If I didn't get up and go to work every day, I'd worry myself sick over stupid stuff!!

<br />
<br />I went to a community college and got my associates in Office Systems and have worked in law offices ever since (10 years). I'm now studying for my CLA exam. I say that to say you don't have to have a Bachelor's degree to have a great job. I love my job and have the most wonderful bosses in the world. If I didn't get up and go to work every day, I'd worry myself sick over stupid stuff!!

LiveOutLoud

I totally understand your frustration! I worked for 3 months in the corp world and found myself experiencing my first hospital stay lasting for 2 weeks! I'd love to share with you what I've been doing since 2005. I work from home about 10-15 hours a week and out of my home for about 5 hours per week. I've been able to replace my corp income and have such peace knowing I'm not putting my health after my career! I felt soooo guilty working in a hospital and sooo glad i tried this option. It was totally a plan B but became a parachute for me!!!

My email: randi_123@yahoo.com

LiveOutLoud

I totally understand your frustration! I worked for 3 months in the corp world and found myself experiencing my first hospital stay lasting for 2 weeks! I'd love to share with you what I've been doing since 2005. I work from home about 10-15 hours a week and out of my home for about 5 hours per week. I've been able to replace my corp income and have such peace knowing I'm not putting my health after my career! I felt soooo guilty working in a hospital and sooo glad i tried this option. It was totally a plan B but became a parachute for me!!!

My email: randi_123@yahoo.com

LiveOutLoud

<br />
<br />My email: randi_123@yahoo.com