just a little fun survery. You know you are sick or go to the hospital when........

I know i am sick/time to go to the hospital when
I don't eat as much
constantly out of breath
fever
can't carry on a conversation due to whizzing or coughing
coughing up stuff after a shower..

what are your signs when it's time you go to the hospital or when you are sick?

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Well, I'm never sick anymore but before my transplant I would always know because of:
-extreme shortness of breath
-Fever in some cases
-Coughing up a lot of mucus
-Tired during my usual activities
and of course decline in PFT's

Treble

I know i am sick/time to go to the hospital when
I don't eat as much
constantly out of breath
fever
can't carry on a conversation due to whizzing or coughing
coughing up stuff after a shower..

what are your signs when it's time you go to the hospital or when you are sick?

That's you when you're sick or need to be admitted??? Seriously??

Yeesh.. That's me on a fucking GOOD day. :<

treble, it sounds like i made you mad. i just posted this for fun. no need for cussing words to make your point.
it's the start of an infection for me and i have an aggressive doctor.. because my lung functions are around 30% so my doctor doesn't want me to get worse because i am still active inspite of my low lung functions. i don't need oxygen and i am still working and exercise. he just doesn't want me to be in need of a transplant just yet because i am still active in my condition.
btw, if you didn't want to answer my question then don't answer my question. just don't post anything about my situation until you know my situation about being sick.
i will still like to know when your doctor decides to admit you.

Treble

huh? that wasn't me being mad, lol. that's just me being like nuh uhhhh.

and honestly, I've been tryin to think of how my doctors make their determinations, but I can't seem to pin point it really. I mean, like I said, what you say is sick for you is a good day for me, and im at 55% stable fev1.

Infact, get this. Last year, I was sick all year round with virus after virus, non stop. They would last 3-5 weeks at a time, and then after that I would get maybe a week before getting another.
and mind you, I live a very clean, very treatment heavy, very health conscious life style atm, being on SSI/SSDI and not needing to stress my body and all that. So the rampant viral infections had to be because of my lungs, which I realized around the third one ina row, lol.

My doctors tho, didn't wanna admit me. They tried antibiotic after antibiotic instead, with it never doing much.

Then finally, at the start of this year, after I just finished with the most recent virus, my body had pretty much given up, and I dropped from 106 pounds to 91, and my fev1 took a big hit (after I kept it stable for 3 years) and dropped to 40%.

That's when they decided to admit me.

My fev1 since has been back to it's normal 55%ish area, and I havn't had a single virus since the hospitalization.

So.. I really don't know what the "trigger" for my docs is to admit me. I guess when everything falls apart with no way out would be the only way to describe that? lol

and as for knowing when im sick and not sick.. I can't even really tell when my CF is flaring up or when im just having a normal bad day. I have such nasty ABPA that every time the air is moist my body falls apart, so im pretty clueless on that one honestly. I think it confuses the hell outta my docs too. XD

Just wanted to be sure thAt I cleared up my understandinG of ur tone since I can't hear the way u reply. But I get want u are saying and that u were nt mad. Sounds like the weather and how moist it is Affects u and the docs put u in the hospital as the last resort. I was sick a lot too due to all the weather changing and the fact that it was so warm. I was hospitalized 4 times in the last year bc of the weather.

JustDucky

Usually, it's admission time when home IV's won't do the trick for me or if I get high spikes in my temp, feel "toxic"..hard to describe, but I just feel lousy all over, more than usual and feel sick everywhere. Being that I have been septic a few times, docs get pretty aggressive with me.. IV's are frequent, this time of the year is brutal for me and I know that I will soon be back on them once my new port is placed. The overwhelming fatigue is also a clue to seek treatment (along with increased coughing etc)

Jenn 40 wCF

eliqueang

For me, I always notice when:

my sugars go CRAZY
i can't walk through a store without hollering "WOO" (or whew)
if with others, ill just sit down whenever i am, i dont care
my cough sounds like a harley davidson

Solo

Well I haven't been admitted to the hospital since April of 2008, my baseline FEV1 is around 70-75%. But I have gotten sick just recently, and a course of Cipro knocked it out. But now I think I caught something else, I don't know if it was from another person, or because I'm a guinea pig; in that I try different supplements to see what works with my walking, and I think serrapeptase brought on cold-like symptoms, and now a whooping cough with alot of mucus and sky high blood sugars. I'm hoping to get Bactrim to knock it out, unless my doc thinks I need a tune-up since it's been so long.

D

Deb

My family (husband and kids) have always said that they know when I am getting sick even before I notice the symptoms.

I get grumpy
I come home from work and take a nap or sleep really late on the weekend
and also they can see it in my eyes.

I've also come to recognize the "sick eyes"

Sure enough they are usually right. Within a week of them thinking something is up I will start coughing, come down with a fever, etc.

lilmac1177

i know it's time:
general loss of appetite (over a week's time or so)
get "winded" easily (to even walk across the room)
nap a lot during day and consistently sleep in 'til late morning
increased lack of energy (to even want to do anything or go to work, and i only work one day per week)
increased cough and sputum production

B

BikerEd

I'm with Deb on this one. My wife and kids usally start asking questions. Since I always fight through and or put up a fight at that time. My wife will actually et up and appointment without my knowing, and then I'm home on iv's or sitting in a hospital bed, that's just about the time I admit I'm sick.

Best of luck

Ed

CrisDopher

Hey Ed...just a hint for later: when she puts in a nice box wearing your best suit and favorite boots and everybody says nice things about you for fifteen minutes -- you're dead. Just thought you'd like to know the signs.

B

BikerEd

Cris:
Ha! Ironiclly I had my wife call the clinic to set up some cipro for some crud I got going and can't seem to kick (I'm on night shift right now that's why she did the calling, to avoid 3 days off phone tag) then she'll set a time with the nurse or doc for me to call them so I can tell them exactly what's going on. At the end of vthe call he said "ok and we'll see you on the 31st" I was "umm yup. Just last week she told me I should look into getting a new pair of riding boot's, so I'll keep an eye out for the suit and shiny box lol.

Best of luck

Ed

B

BikerEd

Cris:
Ha! Ironiclly I had my wife call the clinic to set up some cipro for some crud I got going and can't seem to kick (I'm on night shift right now that's why she did the calling, to avoid 3 days off phone tag) then she'll set a time with the nurse or doc ,for me to call them, so I can tell them exactly what's going on. At the end of vthe call he said "ok and we'll see you on the 31st" I was "umm yup. Just last week she told me I should look into getting a new pair of riding boot's, so I'll keep an eye out for the suit and shiny box lol.

Best of luck

Ed