Just diagnosed

hlyterra

I am a divorsed mother of 2 boys. My oldest son, who is 9 was just diagnosed with CF. I have been trying, since he was 2, to find the reason why he is always sick with this awful cough and runny nose. Well, I never expected this. I just found out Friday only hours after the sweat test exactly what he had. We don't meet with the Dr 'til Friday. I have so many questions I don't know where to begin. I'm scared and don't know what to do. I just want to hold him and not let go. I need someone to tell me/him that it's all going to be ok, but I know that isn't going to happen. How could this go undiagnosed for so long? I blame myself for not being pushier, I'm mad at his past pediatricians for not suggesting more than "this otc and that otc" that never worked anyway, and persuing other testing, all the while keeping my composure so my son doesn't worry. I just want to SCREAM!!! This is my first post and guess I just needed to vent. Sorry this was so long. I would appreciate any postive words if there are any.

Thank you, Kimberly

hlyterra

I am a divorsed mother of 2 boys. My oldest son, who is 9 was just diagnosed with CF. I have been trying, since he was 2, to find the reason why he is always sick with this awful cough and runny nose. Well, I never expected this. I just found out Friday only hours after the sweat test exactly what he had. We don't meet with the Dr 'til Friday. I have so many questions I don't know where to begin. I'm scared and don't know what to do. I just want to hold him and not let go. I need someone to tell me/him that it's all going to be ok, but I know that isn't going to happen. How could this go undiagnosed for so long? I blame myself for not being pushier, I'm mad at his past pediatricians for not suggesting more than "this otc and that otc" that never worked anyway, and persuing other testing, all the while keeping my composure so my son doesn't worry. I just want to SCREAM!!! This is my first post and guess I just needed to vent. Sorry this was so long. I would appreciate any postive words if there are any.

Thank you, Kimberly

hlyterra

Thank you, Kimberly

hlyterra

Thank you, Kimberly

hlyterra

Thank you, Kimberly

hlyterra

Thank you, Kimberly

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hlyterra</b></i>

How could this go undiagnosed for so long? </end quote></div>

Welcome. We have a few people who weren't diagnosed until their 20s and 30s with CF. So it happens.... you're not alone.

Get the kid to a CF care center and get preventative treatment done as soon as possible.

Take care

NoExcuses

Welcome. We have a few people who weren't diagnosed until their 20s and 30s with CF. So it happens.... you're not alone.

Get the kid to a CF care center and get preventative treatment done as soon as possible.

Take care

NoExcuses

Take care

NoExcuses

Take care

NoExcuses

How could this go undiagnosed for so long? </end quote>

Take care

NoExcuses

How could this go undiagnosed for so long? </end quote>

Take care

ktsmom

Hi Kimberly -

Don't beat yourself up about not being pushier with the docs. There are many of us on here that had similar situations - the doctors wouldn't listen and wrote us off as hysterical moms. The good news is that your son will now be getting the treatment he needs.

I especially appreciated your comment about keeping your own composure so that your son doesn't worry. My youngest daughter was diagnosed 10 months ago and my oldest daughter has now watched both her mom and dad break down and cry in front of her. But she has really taken up the cause of CF and could (and will!) explain Katy's treatments and meds to anyone that will listen.

It will just integrate into who you all are, but it will take some time. Please keep us posted on how everything goes. Check out the Families section - you will find lots of support from moms who have been just where you are. Many of us still break down, but mostly we have figured out how to get on with the business of living! Hugs and strength to you!

ktsmom

Hi Kimberly -

Don't beat yourself up about not being pushier with the docs. There are many of us on here that had similar situations - the doctors wouldn't listen and wrote us off as hysterical moms. The good news is that your son will now be getting the treatment he needs.

I especially appreciated your comment about keeping your own composure so that your son doesn't worry. My youngest daughter was diagnosed 10 months ago and my oldest daughter has now watched both her mom and dad break down and cry in front of her. But she has really taken up the cause of CF and could (and will!) explain Katy's treatments and meds to anyone that will listen.

It will just integrate into who you all are, but it will take some time. Please keep us posted on how everything goes. Check out the Families section - you will find lots of support from moms who have been just where you are. Many of us still break down, but mostly we have figured out how to get on with the business of living! Hugs and strength to you!