just found out my boyfriend has CF - please help

MicheleGazelle

At some point, it occurred to me that every romantic comedy (and a lot of dramas) I could think of involved some "secret" that was a danger to the relationship should it come out. But, in many cases, there was no intent to deceive. It wasn't really a secret. It was just something the other person didn't yet know.

You can't know everything about someone the minute you meet them. It takes time to get to know them. If it wasn't CF, it would be something else that would give you pause at some point.

Peace. And good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

At some point, it occurred to me that every romantic comedy (and a lot of dramas) I could think of involved some "secret" that was a danger to the relationship should it come out. But, in many cases, there was no intent to deceive. It wasn't really a secret. It was just something the other person didn't yet know.

You can't know everything about someone the minute you meet them. It takes time to get to know them. If it wasn't CF, it would be something else that would give you pause at some point.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />You can't know everything about someone the minute you meet them. It takes time to get to know them. If it wasn't CF, it would be something else that would give you pause at some point.
<br />
<br />Peace. And good luck with this.

kmhbeauty

hello I am kinda the same as your boyfriend. I have had 7 surgeries on my nose to remove polyps in my nose. You can tell him the surgeries are not too bad but afterwards I did feel really dizzy, thursty ect. And threw up a lot of blood. I also have a very mild case of cf. I have lived my whole life withouttaking cf medicine but that might soon change because I want to really start taking care of myself. I would say def dont smoke around him. Good eating habits are so important. Also I have been 2 years with no polys and I really think its because I cut diary out of my diet, sounds crazy but tell him to talk to his doctor about dairy and its role with the sinus. As far as im concerned I dont think cf will ever consume me, I just wont let it. I see it as if hes 23 like me and in perfect condition by the time he gets bad there will be some new thing out that really helps cfrs. Some new clinical trials look really good, that will be out someday. I think I look at cf differently then other people, which is Im stronger then this disease will ever be. I think a positive strong mentality is the best thing you can have to fight cf.

kmhbeauty

hello I am kinda the same as your boyfriend. I have had 7 surgeries on my nose to remove polyps in my nose. You can tell him the surgeries are not too bad but afterwards I did feel really dizzy, thursty ect. And threw up a lot of blood. I also have a very mild case of cf. I have lived my whole life withouttaking cf medicine but that might soon change because I want to really start taking care of myself. I would say def dont smoke around him. Good eating habits are so important. Also I have been 2 years with no polys and I really think its because I cut diary out of my diet, sounds crazy but tell him to talk to his doctor about dairy and its role with the sinus. As far as im concerned I dont think cf will ever consume me, I just wont let it. I see it as if hes 23 like me and in perfect condition by the time he gets bad there will be some new thing out that really helps cfrs. Some new clinical trials look really good, that will be out someday. I think I look at cf differently then other people, which is Im stronger then this disease will ever be. I think a positive strong mentality is the best thing you can have to fight cf.

kmhbeauty

kmhbeauty

kmhbeauty

lilywing

Hey marmarmar
I am touched by your honesty. If I was you, I'd be mad that my boyfriend had this disease. It's unfair. Today, you were forced to think about things that you'd surely rather not. Your bubble has burst, and there is a reality that is not easy to handle.

It sounds like you really care about your boyfriend. If you stay with him, you're only going to become MORE attached, right! It will be harder, not easier to see him if he gets sick. You'll have to make decisions about whether or not to have children...after all, you're the one who will probably be left alone.

Sometimes, it might feel like your feelings get pushed aside. Like my boyfriend, sometimes you'll feel totally overwhelmed. Trying to be strong for the person you care about will take it's toll. Over the years, I have tried to make more of a point of talking with my boyfriend about how he feels (what girl doesn't?). I make sure that it's OK for him to tell me that he's scared (hard for a guy to admit!), that he wishes we could (but knows that we can't) have children.

I think my boyfriend copes by "looking after me". He tries to do everything for me...cooking, cleaning, getting meds ready, physio, making my pillows fluffier! If he could make this disease go away, he would. Until then, this is what he can do, I guess. Did I mention he was awesome. I would be lost without him.

But, this doesn't mean we don't fight like other couples, or have times when we make eachother crazy. It's not all fairy tale. It's hard too, when you see your friends. Sometimes, you might feel bitter, hearing your friends bitch about their problems/boyfriends. If anything, dealing with a fatal, chronic disease can bring with it some needed perspective.

I'm mad that I have CF. I mad that your boyfriend has CF. No one deserves it. Why wouldn't you feel a little pissed off, too?

Please feel free to ask anything else you want to know about, or send me a message,
Kelly

lilywing

Hey marmarmar
I am touched by your honesty. If I was you, I'd be mad that my boyfriend had this disease. It's unfair. Today, you were forced to think about things that you'd surely rather not. Your bubble has burst, and there is a reality that is not easy to handle.

It sounds like you really care about your boyfriend. If you stay with him, you're only going to become MORE attached, right! It will be harder, not easier to see him if he gets sick. You'll have to make decisions about whether or not to have children...after all, you're the one who will probably be left alone.

Sometimes, it might feel like your feelings get pushed aside. Like my boyfriend, sometimes you'll feel totally overwhelmed. Trying to be strong for the person you care about will take it's toll. Over the years, I have tried to make more of a point of talking with my boyfriend about how he feels (what girl doesn't?). I make sure that it's OK for him to tell me that he's scared (hard for a guy to admit!), that he wishes we could (but knows that we can't) have children.

I think my boyfriend copes by "looking after me". He tries to do everything for me...cooking, cleaning, getting meds ready, physio, making my pillows fluffier! If he could make this disease go away, he would. Until then, this is what he can do, I guess. Did I mention he was awesome. I would be lost without him.

But, this doesn't mean we don't fight like other couples, or have times when we make eachother crazy. It's not all fairy tale. It's hard too, when you see your friends. Sometimes, you might feel bitter, hearing your friends bitch about their problems/boyfriends. If anything, dealing with a fatal, chronic disease can bring with it some needed perspective.

I'm mad that I have CF. I mad that your boyfriend has CF. No one deserves it. Why wouldn't you feel a little pissed off, too?

Please feel free to ask anything else you want to know about, or send me a message,
Kelly

lilywing

Hey marmarmar

Kelly

lilywing

Hey marmarmar

Kelly

lilywing

Hey marmarmar
<br />I am touched by your honesty. If I was you, I'd be mad that my boyfriend had this disease. It's unfair. Today, you were forced to think about things that you'd surely rather not. Your bubble has burst, and there is a reality that is not easy to handle.
<br />
<br />It sounds like you really care about your boyfriend. If you stay with him, you're only going to become MORE attached, right! It will be harder, not easier to see him if he gets sick. You'll have to make decisions about whether or not to have children...after all, you're the one who will probably be left alone.
<br />
<br />Sometimes, it might feel like your feelings get pushed aside. Like my boyfriend, sometimes you'll feel totally overwhelmed. Trying to be strong for the person you care about will take it's toll. Over the years, I have tried to make more of a point of talking with my boyfriend about how he feels (what girl doesn't?). I make sure that it's OK for him to tell me that he's scared (hard for a guy to admit!), that he wishes we could (but knows that we can't) have children.
<br />
<br />I think my boyfriend copes by "looking after me". He tries to do everything for me...cooking, cleaning, getting meds ready, physio, making my pillows fluffier! If he could make this disease go away, he would. Until then, this is what he can do, I guess. Did I mention he was awesome. I would be lost without him.
<br />
<br />But, this doesn't mean we don't fight like other couples, or have times when we make eachother crazy. It's not all fairy tale. It's hard too, when you see your friends. Sometimes, you might feel bitter, hearing your friends bitch about their problems/boyfriends. If anything, dealing with a fatal, chronic disease can bring with it some needed perspective.
<br />
<br />I'm mad that I have CF. I mad that your boyfriend has CF. No one deserves it. Why wouldn't you feel a little pissed off, too?
<br />
<br />Please feel free to ask anything else you want to know about, or send me a message,
<br />Kelly