Just need a little advice really

MicheleGazelle

Some things we have done at different times:

Taped a list on the fridge of medications and when each one needed to be taken. Marked them off as we did them. This works best if you are confused because you temporarily have to take a few extra drugs -- or to learn a new routine because something changed.

Leave enzymes and other basic meds in an open basket in a central location, like the coffee table. This helped my son when he used to take all that stuff. He has some memory problems and other learning disabilities. If I moved the basket, his whole routine fell apart. If I put it in a closed container where he couldn't see stuff, same problem.

Like someone else said, carry a few pills (enzymes, decongestants and any "emergency" meds) in a small container with you at all times. I also used to carry an emergency chocolate bar, both for the caffeine (I am allergic to albuterol, so I take caffeine if I have a sudden wheezing fit) and for an emergency snack. But I'm not diabetic. I used to severely hypoglycemic, before I was diagnosed. Proper treatment has done a lot to stabilize my blood sugar.

I don't know how much his parents will cooperate in helping him become independent. As I mentioned, my son wcf has a lot of other handicaps as well. The way we help him learn new things is first he watches me do it, then he asks questions and/or I just talk about what I am doing and explain why I am doing it this way. Then he starts participating, doing whatever he feels able to do. Then he gradually takes over the task, only having me do the pieces he just hasn't yet mastered. If he needs anything, no matter what it is, I will help him with it, but I only do as much as he wants/needs me to do. I don't act like he's an incompetent dolt or something. I just step in and do that one piece (or however much he needs from me) and then butt out again. Eventually, he does the whole thing himself. Some things take him a lot of time for him to learn. Others don't. We have gotten very good at gradually letting him take things over as he is comfortable with it. If his parents are willing to cooperate in helping him learn what he needs to do for himself, that can make the transition a lot easier.

MicheleGazelle

Taped a list on the fridge of medications and when each one needed to be taken. Marked them off as we did them. This works best if you are confused because you temporarily have to take a few extra drugs -- or to learn a new routine because something changed.

Leave enzymes and other basic meds in an open basket in a central location, like the coffee table. This helped my son when he used to take all that stuff. He has some memory problems and other learning disabilities. If I moved the basket, his whole routine fell apart. If I put it in a closed container where he couldn't see stuff, same problem.

Like someone else said, carry a few pills (enzymes, decongestants and any "emergency" meds) in a small container with you at all times. I also used to carry an emergency chocolate bar, both for the caffeine (I am allergic to albuterol, so I take caffeine if I have a sudden wheezing fit) and for an emergency snack. But I'm not diabetic. I used to severely hypoglycemic, before I was diagnosed. Proper treatment has done a lot to stabilize my blood sugar.

I don't know how much his parents will cooperate in helping him become independent. As I mentioned, my son wcf has a lot of other handicaps as well. The way we help him learn new things is first he watches me do it, then he asks questions and/or I just talk about what I am doing and explain why I am doing it this way. Then he starts participating, doing whatever he feels able to do. Then he gradually takes over the task, only having me do the pieces he just hasn't yet mastered. If he needs anything, no matter what it is, I will help him with it, but I only do as much as he wants/needs me to do. I don't act like he's an incompetent dolt or something. I just step in and do that one piece (or however much he needs from me) and then butt out again. Eventually, he does the whole thing himself. Some things take him a lot of time for him to learn. Others don't. We have gotten very good at gradually letting him take things over as he is comfortable with it. If his parents are willing to cooperate in helping him learn what he needs to do for himself, that can make the transition a lot easier.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Taped a list on the fridge of medications and when each one needed to be taken. Marked them off as we did them. This works best if you are confused because you temporarily have to take a few extra drugs -- or to learn a new routine because something changed.
<br />
<br />Leave enzymes and other basic meds in an open basket in a central location, like the coffee table. This helped my son when he used to take all that stuff. He has some memory problems and other learning disabilities. If I moved the basket, his whole routine fell apart. If I put it in a closed container where he couldn't see stuff, same problem.
<br />
<br />Like someone else said, carry a few pills (enzymes, decongestants and any "emergency" meds) in a small container with you at all times. I also used to carry an emergency chocolate bar, both for the caffeine (I am allergic to albuterol, so I take caffeine if I have a sudden wheezing fit) and for an emergency snack. But I'm not diabetic. I used to severely hypoglycemic, before I was diagnosed. Proper treatment has done a lot to stabilize my blood sugar.
<br />
<br />I don't know how much his parents will cooperate in helping him become independent. As I mentioned, my son wcf has a lot of other handicaps as well. The way we help him learn new things is first he watches me do it, then he asks questions and/or I just talk about what I am doing and explain why I am doing it this way. Then he starts participating, doing whatever he feels able to do. Then he gradually takes over the task, only having me do the pieces he just hasn't yet mastered. If he needs anything, no matter what it is, I will help him with it, but I only do as much as he wants/needs me to do. I don't act like he's an incompetent dolt or something. I just step in and do that one piece (or however much he needs from me) and then butt out again. Eventually, he does the whole thing himself. Some things take him a lot of time for him to learn. Others don't. We have gotten very good at gradually letting him take things over as he is comfortable with it. If his parents are willing to cooperate in helping him learn what he needs to do for himself, that can make the transition a lot easier.
<br />