just over a year wait but on July 23 it finally happed I got lungs

Daverog75

Everything is going fantastic the hospital wanted to discharge me after just 10 days in ended staying for 12. I know that I still have a long way to go but very happy with everything so far.

Dave,

triples15

Super Moderator
Very cool!! Congratulations!

Wow, 10 days? That is wild. You must be improving at lightning speed! :)

Take care, and hope things continue to go fantastically!!

Autumn 32 w/CF

azdesertrat

Congratulations! Its a whole 'nother world, huh? If you have ANY problems breathing, bring it to the attention of anyone who will listen as soon as possible! I had scar tissue grow & close off the lower lobe of my right lung in an amazingly fast time. My transplant coordinator wouldn't listen, she did nothing for over a week. It cost me dearly. I had to endure a lobectomy; I lost more than 1/2 of my donated right lung. I wish you all the best, I want you to be aware of things that could happen. Good luck, enjoy your new ability to BREATHE!!!

kyeev

Thanks everybody it's been just over a month now and things are progressing very well.

Dave, congrats, great news.

If you get the time, could you let us know what a day in the life of Dave is now like.

I'm staring at transplant down the track and I want to know the ins and outs of living with new lungs.
How many hospital visits, how many tablets you now take.
What things you now don't have to take!
Things that have gone right, things that have gone wrong.
Would be really interesting to hear about your new life.
Cheers!

Daverog75

Hello Kyeev,

Once discharged from the hospital I had physio 3 times a week and every was at the hospital most of the day. I had to give blood every Monday morning before my morning dose of clyclosporin to check the level in my blood stream, then PFT's followed by chest X-ray and finally clinic appt. to talk to the doctors. I figure I was taking about 40 pills a now a little less as there are 3-4 that I don't have to take anymore. My 3 month assessment is next week, will still have to do a blood test every week for awhile but I can do it close to home. PFT's twice a month.

Transplant is a tough process with a long and tedious recovery but it is well worth it. I will soon be healthy enough to look for a job or go back to school. I will be working out at home for awhile but eventually joining a gym, staying in shape is the best thing you can do for yourself after transplant. I will finally get to play golf on a regular basis again.

Dave,

kyeev

Thanks for that Dave.
Doesn't sound too bad after all.
Its good you get to go home and lead a normal life pretty quickly.

Note to self: Why didn't I get a port-a-cath sooner and save my veins for all these blood tests?

Good luck with the Golf. It would probably be a good way to get fit come to think of it.
I haven't played for over a year thanks to my lungs.
Hoping to get out, with golf cart/buggy, one day soon.

Daverog75

Hello kyeev,

Things are much different now NO MORE COUGHING. I can walk up a flight of stairs and don't need to catch my breath when I get to the top it's the start of a whole new, and wonderful life. As far as hospital visits I had to be at the hospital 3x a week for Physio and every Monday had to blood test, PFT, Chest X-ray and clinic appt. I was taking around 40 pills a day in the beginning but there are a few now that I no longer need to take so it's a little less now. I don't have to anymore nebulized treatments like ventolin or tobramycin.

I have been lucky that nothing has really gone wrong and nothing unexpected has happened, I am diabetic now but I was expecting that to happen. Transplant is tough road to down but it is definitely worth it.

Good luck Kyeev.

Dave,