just some questions

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We started doing CPT when DS was 5 days old. The RTs brought us little percussion cups, but also taught us how to use our hands, which was much easier for us than those cups. Basically showed us to avoid the spine... And when our doctor came in to see how we were doing with CPT, he indicated we should actually be "whacking" him harder. Worked great 'cuz it actually calmed him -- he got so used to it, he'd fall asleep. Others who've had to start CPT on their older children 18 months, have said it's a LOT more difficult to start up later. He also started albuterol and atrovent nebs the same time we started CPT

DS was in the NICU for 6 weeks recovering from bowel obstruction/me surgery and he sure as heck didn't culture E-coli, but he did come home with a cough and cultured a similar bug enterbactor cochlae and he was put on Septra, Tobi and I think another oral antibiotic.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We started doing CPT when DS was 5 days old. The RTs brought us little percussion cups, but also taught us how to use our hands, which was much easier for us than those cups. Basically showed us to avoid the spine... And when our doctor came in to see how we were doing with CPT, he indicated we should actually be "whacking" him harder. Worked great 'cuz it actually calmed him -- he got so used to it, he'd fall asleep. Others who've had to start CPT on their older children 18 months, have said it's a LOT more difficult to start up later. He also started albuterol and atrovent nebs the same time we started CPT

DS was in the NICU for 6 weeks recovering from bowel obstruction/me surgery and he sure as heck didn't culture E-coli, but he did come home with a cough and cultured a similar bug enterbactor cochlae and he was put on Septra, Tobi and I think another oral antibiotic.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

T

tammykrumrey

Our CF clinic didn't have us start CPT right away either, she was dx at four weeks old. But, that was eight years ago, and a different CF doctor.

I would ask to be trained on it, and like others have said, it really is soothing for them. My girls always feel asleep during 'love pats' (cpt), and still do sometimes while doing the vest.

Neither one of my girls ever culture e.coli. Not sure about that one.

I am so happy to hear that she is doing good!

T

tammykrumrey

Our CF clinic didn't have us start CPT right away either, she was dx at four weeks old. But, that was eight years ago, and a different CF doctor.

I would ask to be trained on it, and like others have said, it really is soothing for them. My girls always feel asleep during 'love pats' (cpt), and still do sometimes while doing the vest.

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

T

tammykrumrey

fourkidsmom

I agree with everyone else she needs to start pt/nebs right away. My son was dx when I was 7 months pregnant and we started it right way. He has a burst bowel at birth so he needed surgery, but even with that they did the aeorsals until we could start the pt (we call pounding) when he healed some.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

I agree with everyone else she needs to start pt/nebs right away. My son was dx when I was 7 months pregnant and we started it right way. He has a burst bowel at birth so he needed surgery, but even with that they did the aeorsals until we could start the pt (we call pounding) when he healed some.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. Both of my kids started cpt and the nebulizer (pulmozyme for my son and both albuterol) at 4-5 weeks of age. The have each had pneumonia once, both around 3-4 months of age. It can be hard for little babies with cf to clear their lungs, so I would think cpt would be helpful. I have never heard that dr. wait for cpt because of injuring the ribs. CPT shouldn't be done that hard. One thing that I have learned through the years is to talk with your doctor when you have other suggestion or ideas that they didn't suggest. I think these boards are very helpful in identifying how other cf clinics and drs treat their patients. In my opinion you have right to start cpt on your child if you think that is the way to go. I have always just explained to my kids dr why I want to do something and and he has always let me go ahead with what I wanted after we discussed it (except one time - re: IV antibotics vs. Tobi for my son's 1st psuedomonas culture).

Also, my son did culture e.coli for a lot of his first year. Never after that. I remember asking others about it on-line and only a few other cf kids had cultured it. My son's doctors did not treat him for the e.coli.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Hello. Both of my kids started cpt and the nebulizer (pulmozyme for my son and both albuterol) at 4-5 weeks of age. The have each had pneumonia once, both around 3-4 months of age. It can be hard for little babies with cf to clear their lungs, so I would think cpt would be helpful. I have never heard that dr. wait for cpt because of injuring the ribs. CPT shouldn't be done that hard. One thing that I have learned through the years is to talk with your doctor when you have other suggestion or ideas that they didn't suggest. I think these boards are very helpful in identifying how other cf clinics and drs treat their patients. In my opinion you have right to start cpt on your child if you think that is the way to go. I have always just explained to my kids dr why I want to do something and and he has always let me go ahead with what I wanted after we discussed it (except one time - re: IV antibotics vs. Tobi for my son's 1st psuedomonas culture).

Also, my son did culture e.coli for a lot of his first year. Never after that. I remember asking others about it on-line and only a few other cf kids had cultured it. My son's doctors did not treat him for the e.coli.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo