just wondering about humidifiers

robertsmith1390

yes most doctors do not recommend humidifiers. they are very hard to clean and if you are going to put tap water in them there is a chance that the bacteria from the tap water will be get into the air. would not use!

robertsmith1390

yes most doctors do not recommend humidifiers. they are very hard to clean and if you are going to put tap water in them there is a chance that the bacteria from the tap water will be get into the air. would not use!

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

robertsmith1390

Juliet

I think it depends on the kind of humidifier you have. We have forced air and a humidifier system. It works by spraying clean water into the air handler after the air is warmed and before it's distributed throughout the house. It's plumbed straight into the house water supply. It does not use a reservoir or anything like that, so No water is sitting around getting moldy. It puts a bit of a mist into the forced air when the heat is running. There's an access to check the duct work and I had DH make sure there was not mold growing in there. So far we've had the system for about 6 years and I find that it helps. In winter with it off the house is at about 30% RH, but with the system it gets up to about 50% which is much more comfortable. I mostly notice the difference in my hands and exposed skin which is pitifully dry when the humidifier is not turned on. We only use it in winter. ~Juliet

Juliet

I think it depends on the kind of humidifier you have. We have forced air and a humidifier system. It works by spraying clean water into the air handler after the air is warmed and before it's distributed throughout the house. It's plumbed straight into the house water supply. It does not use a reservoir or anything like that, so No water is sitting around getting moldy. It puts a bit of a mist into the forced air when the heat is running. There's an access to check the duct work and I had DH make sure there was not mold growing in there. So far we've had the system for about 6 years and I find that it helps. In winter with it off the house is at about 30% RH, but with the system it gets up to about 50% which is much more comfortable. I mostly notice the difference in my hands and exposed skin which is pitifully dry when the humidifier is not turned on. We only use it in winter. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

grassisgreener

We have the same thing as Juliet and it works great!

When someone in our house needs extra moisture, we use a vaporizer and add Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) to it. A few drops of it will kill about any bacteria/fungus. For a full vaporizor I would add around 10 drops, maybe 15. Usually we only use it for a couple of days but we clean & dry it each day.

Since your daughter is so young, you might try putting a couple drops of saline in her nose and using the nasal bulb. I used to do that for my daughter when she was just a few months old. Now she is 5 years old and does 8 ounces of saline once or twice a day!

grassisgreener

When someone in our house needs extra moisture, we use a vaporizer and add Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) to it. A few drops of it will kill about any bacteria/fungus. For a full vaporizor I would add around 10 drops, maybe 15. Usually we only use it for a couple of days but we clean & dry it each day.

Since your daughter is so young, you might try putting a couple drops of saline in her nose and using the nasal bulb. I used to do that for my daughter when she was just a few months old. Now she is 5 years old and does 8 ounces of saline once or twice a day!

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

<br />
<br />When someone in our house needs extra moisture, we use a vaporizer and add Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) to it. A few drops of it will kill about any bacteria/fungus. For a full vaporizor I would add around 10 drops, maybe 15. Usually we only use it for a couple of days but we clean & dry it each day.
<br />
<br />Since your daughter is so young, you might try putting a couple drops of saline in her nose and using the nasal bulb. I used to do that for my daughter when she was just a few months old. Now she is 5 years old and does 8 ounces of saline once or twice a day!