just wondering about humidifiers

abbysmom

I was just wondering if humidifiers help or hurt in the lung arena? My husband has it, but daughter doesn't - but, sometimes she gets stuffy and the doc says to use a humidifier. Will this hurt my husband (breathing, coughing, etc.) or will it help him?

abbysmom

I was just wondering if humidifiers help or hurt in the lung arena? My husband has it, but daughter doesn't - but, sometimes she gets stuffy and the doc says to use a humidifier. Will this hurt my husband (breathing, coughing, etc.) or will it help him?

abbysmom

abbysmom

abbysmom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'd be concerned about the potential for mold. You have to make sure that they're cleaned out VERY well. I think my BIL uses one because of sinus issues, but he uses some sort of sanitizer to keep it clean.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'd be concerned about the potential for mold. You have to make sure that they're cleaned out VERY well. I think my BIL uses one because of sinus issues, but he uses some sort of sanitizer to keep it clean.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

MicheleGazelle

It would depend in part on how humid the air is where you live. If you live in a desert climate, a humidifier might help give some relief assuming you can prevent it from causing a mold problem. If you live an in already damp climate, it probably won't help all that much.

I don't own a humidifier and haven't for many years. I have had bad experiences with stuff growing in them and did use one very regularly for a long time prior to my diagnosis. I would think your daughter might benefit from irrigating her sinuses if she will tolerate that. I also have found that washing throw rugs, curtains....etc....can stop someone from having a sniffly, stuffy nose and it's good for the whole family. Everyone breathes better. (I found this helped so much that I ultimately got rid of throw rugs...and a whole lot of other things.)

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

It would depend in part on how humid the air is where you live. If you live in a desert climate, a humidifier might help give some relief assuming you can prevent it from causing a mold problem. If you live an in already damp climate, it probably won't help all that much.

I don't own a humidifier and haven't for many years. I have had bad experiences with stuff growing in them and did use one very regularly for a long time prior to my diagnosis. I would think your daughter might benefit from irrigating her sinuses if she will tolerate that. I also have found that washing throw rugs, curtains....etc....can stop someone from having a sniffly, stuffy nose and it's good for the whole family. Everyone breathes better. (I found this helped so much that I ultimately got rid of throw rugs...and a whole lot of other things.)

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />I don't own a humidifier and haven't for many years. I have had bad experiences with stuff growing in them and did use one very regularly for a long time prior to my diagnosis. I would think your daughter might benefit from irrigating her sinuses if she will tolerate that. I also have found that washing throw rugs, curtains....etc....can stop someone from having a sniffly, stuffy nose and it's good for the whole family. Everyone breathes better. (I found this helped so much that I ultimately got rid of throw rugs...and a whole lot of other things.)
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

JazzysMom

I think most doctors aware of CF would NOT recommend humidifiers. They would probably go for nasal sprays etc. Humidifiers are difficult to keep up with to avoid mold & bacteria build up.

Its not impossible, but with everything else CF requires I would think there is any easier way. My Mom uses 2 big ones in her house & has a sanitizer liquid in it. I dont know how much that actually helps, but its an expensive humidifier.

JazzysMom

I think most doctors aware of CF would NOT recommend humidifiers. They would probably go for nasal sprays etc. Humidifiers are difficult to keep up with to avoid mold & bacteria build up.

Its not impossible, but with everything else CF requires I would think there is any easier way. My Mom uses 2 big ones in her house & has a sanitizer liquid in it. I dont know how much that actually helps, but its an expensive humidifier.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Its not impossible, but with everything else CF requires I would think there is any easier way. My Mom uses 2 big ones in her house & has a sanitizer liquid in it. I dont know how much that actually helps, but its an expensive humidifier.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />