Just wondering

kmhbeauty

Do people with CF have priority over people who smoked for a lung transplant. I have always wondered this and sorry if its a stupid question but I believe we should have first rights. If this is not true, I would think its totally unfair. When I see smokers smoke I think how disrespectful they are. So many people wish they had healthy lungs and are forced to suffer while they ruin their good set. Another question are any of you all advocating for smoking bans to protect us from second hand smoke. It is common sense now a days the risk and danger with smoking. Society needs to form and change to those to protect people like us and childern. Im not just talking about indoors, Im talking about anywhere outside. Example:college, outdoor malls, parks. Just wondering

kmhbeauty

Do people with CF have priority over people who smoked for a lung transplant. I have always wondered this and sorry if its a stupid question but I believe we should have first rights. If this is not true, I would think its totally unfair. When I see smokers smoke I think how disrespectful they are. So many people wish they had healthy lungs and are forced to suffer while they ruin their good set. Another question are any of you all advocating for smoking bans to protect us from second hand smoke. It is common sense now a days the risk and danger with smoking. Society needs to form and change to those to protect people like us and childern. Im not just talking about indoors, Im talking about anywhere outside. Example:college, outdoor malls, parks. Just wondering

kmhbeauty

CountryGirl

No, CFers do not get advantage over patients who previously smoked. However, when determining you Lung Allocation Score (LAS), they take your disease into account; CF, COPD, Chronic Rejection, etc. Then each disease basically has a number of points based on how well people with those diseases do post transplant. For example, a person with CF lungs I know have more "points" than a person in Chronic Rejection. (I say "CF lungs" because a CFer can have chronic rejection and we are listed under that category instead of CF)

I hope this makes sense.

CountryGirl

No, CFers do not get advantage over patients who previously smoked. However, when determining you Lung Allocation Score (LAS), they take your disease into account; CF, COPD, Chronic Rejection, etc. Then each disease basically has a number of points based on how well people with those diseases do post transplant. For example, a person with CF lungs I know have more "points" than a person in Chronic Rejection. (I say "CF lungs" because a CFer can have chronic rejection and we are listed under that category instead of CF)

I hope this makes sense.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />I hope this makes sense.

kmhbeauty

Yes thank you for the info. I just believe smokers should be the last of the last. Maybe its just me but nothing pisses me off more then someone who smokes. It drives me nuts. Do you all feel that way too, or is it just me?

kmhbeauty

Yes thank you for the info. I just believe smokers should be the last of the last. Maybe its just me but nothing pisses me off more then someone who smokes. It drives me nuts. Do you all feel that way too, or is it just me?

kmhbeauty

rubyroselee

I definitely feel that same way as you when I see a person smoking. I get irritated and annoyed. However, I also know how addicting cigarettes can be and there are a lot of people out there who want to stop but have a hard time because it's so addicting. But it is hard for me to have sympathy for people who smoke sometimes.

rubyroselee

I definitely feel that same way as you when I see a person smoking. I get irritated and annoyed. However, I also know how addicting cigarettes can be and there are a lot of people out there who want to stop but have a hard time because it's so addicting. But it is hard for me to have sympathy for people who smoke sometimes.

rubyroselee

kmhbeauty

Yeah I just have no sympathy at all. The sad thing is all my friends smoke so its very hard to avoid. In california where I live a lot of smoking bans have been put into place but I want to see more. I would like the norm to be no smoking anywhere except in designated smoking areas around colleges,parks, malls. Would also lile to see "no smoking while driving" since we are not allowed to talk on the cell and drive because you need both hands on the wheel. That would be a dream for me. I hate walking around my college and having to walk by people who smoke. I just hold my breath.

kmhbeauty

Yeah I just have no sympathy at all. The sad thing is all my friends smoke so its very hard to avoid. In california where I live a lot of smoking bans have been put into place but I want to see more. I would like the norm to be no smoking anywhere except in designated smoking areas around colleges,parks, malls. Would also lile to see "no smoking while driving" since we are not allowed to talk on the cell and drive because you need both hands on the wheel. That would be a dream for me. I hate walking around my college and having to walk by people who smoke. I just hold my breath.

kmhbeauty

Charlene

I agree with you soo much. It is a very rough subject with me. I was diagnosed at 45 with cf. and, my husband is a smoker. If it was me that smoked and he had cf, I would have quit the day I found out that it could cause problems for him...But, my husband hasn't quit. He does smoke outside on the porch, but it still comes in on his clothes etc. Sometimes when he starts coughing, I get so mad. I tell him I work every day to try to stay alive, and it irritates me that he works every day trying to kill himself. He has now been diagnosed with emphasema. He commented that he wondered if he would ever need a transplant. I was not sympathetic at all. I told him he didn't deserve to have new lungs since he didn't take care of the ones he had to start with. I guess I am cold hearted, but I agree people that take care of their bodies should get preference to those that don't!

Charlene

I agree with you soo much. It is a very rough subject with me. I was diagnosed at 45 with cf. and, my husband is a smoker. If it was me that smoked and he had cf, I would have quit the day I found out that it could cause problems for him...But, my husband hasn't quit. He does smoke outside on the porch, but it still comes in on his clothes etc. Sometimes when he starts coughing, I get so mad. I tell him I work every day to try to stay alive, and it irritates me that he works every day trying to kill himself. He has now been diagnosed with emphasema. He commented that he wondered if he would ever need a transplant. I was not sympathetic at all. I told him he didn't deserve to have new lungs since he didn't take care of the ones he had to start with. I guess I am cold hearted, but I agree people that take care of their bodies should get preference to those that don't!

Charlene

kmhbeauty

couldnt agree with you more!!! My boyfriend also smokes and it drives me nuts. He doesnt smoke around me but even if im 20 feet away, you can still take in a little. He has a really bad cough every morning and sometimes I hear his lungs weazing at night. He sounds worse then me. I told him he needs to go get a chest xray to see whats going on in there. I try to tell him how many adults and children suffer, but he just doesnt get it. If my best friend needed new lungs and so did a person with cf, I would choose to give the lungs to the person with cf. Its the right thing to do. I am willing to do anything to anything to put an end to smoking! Its just too difficult to watch someone destroy their lungs while others suffer.

kmhbeauty

couldnt agree with you more!!! My boyfriend also smokes and it drives me nuts. He doesnt smoke around me but even if im 20 feet away, you can still take in a little. He has a really bad cough every morning and sometimes I hear his lungs weazing at night. He sounds worse then me. I told him he needs to go get a chest xray to see whats going on in there. I try to tell him how many adults and children suffer, but he just doesnt get it. If my best friend needed new lungs and so did a person with cf, I would choose to give the lungs to the person with cf. Its the right thing to do. I am willing to do anything to anything to put an end to smoking! Its just too difficult to watch someone destroy their lungs while others suffer.