Just wondering

suttontabbyc

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has cf and a child that did not get there partner tested before you had kids. My husband and I are wanting to have kids but it is so expensive to get the full panel. If the child has cf and the parent has medicaid does the medicaid pay before the child to, oe how does that work? Please help I'm desperate to know. Thanks Tabatha W/CF

suttontabbyc

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has cf and a child that did not get there partner tested before you had kids. My husband and I are wanting to have kids but it is so expensive to get the full panel. If the child has cf and the parent has medicaid does the medicaid pay before the child to, oe how does that work? Please help I'm desperate to know. Thanks Tabatha W/CF

suttontabbyc

JazzysMom

My husband got tested AFTER I was pregnant. I was about half way through my pregnancy when we got the results. My pregnancy wasnt planned. My husband is black so there was a less likely (tho not impossible) chance that he was a carrier. I was also tested for sickle cell at the same time. I honestly dont know what would have happened if we found that he was a carrier. I cant imagine terminating even with the risks at hand. As far as the Medicaid....the child should be covered immediately as well. The process would vary a bit if the parent is on Medicaid for disability reasons.

JazzysMom

My husband got tested AFTER I was pregnant. I was about half way through my pregnancy when we got the results. My pregnancy wasnt planned. My husband is black so there was a less likely (tho not impossible) chance that he was a carrier. I was also tested for sickle cell at the same time. I honestly dont know what would have happened if we found that he was a carrier. I cant imagine terminating even with the risks at hand. As far as the Medicaid....the child should be covered immediately as well. The process would vary a bit if the parent is on Medicaid for disability reasons.

JazzysMom

okok

Could you guys get one of the smaller panel tests done on your husband? It is not full proof but it can probably give you 90% certainty that your husband is not a carrier for way less money.

okok

Could you guys get one of the smaller panel tests done on your husband? It is not full proof but it can probably give you 90% certainty that your husband is not a carrier for way less money.

okok

folione

My wife got the short version of the test while pregnant. It came back that she was a carrier of dF508 so I went and got tested the same way and it came back negative. Our son was born with CF - it turned out that I carried a rare one (& that we hit that 25% chance of 2 carriers producing a baby with CF).

If you get the short version of the test and one of them comes back positive and the other negative, you might have enough leverage to get the full-panel test.

On the other hand, you have to decide what you'll do with the information should you find out you are both carriers...

folione

My wife got the short version of the test while pregnant. It came back that she was a carrier of dF508 so I went and got tested the same way and it came back negative. Our son was born with CF - it turned out that I carried a rare one (& that we hit that 25% chance of 2 carriers producing a baby with CF).

If you get the short version of the test and one of them comes back positive and the other negative, you might have enough leverage to get the full-panel test.

On the other hand, you have to decide what you'll do with the information should you find out you are both carriers...

folione

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>okok</b></i>

Could you guys get one of the smaller panel tests done on your husband? It is not full proof but it can probably give you 90% certainty that your husband is not a carrier for way less money.</end quote></div>

I think 90% certainty is very off base considering how many mutations exist even if they are more rare.

JazzysMom

Could you guys get one of the smaller panel tests done on your husband? It is not full proof but it can probably give you 90% certainty that your husband is not a carrier for way less money.</end quote></div>

I think 90% certainty is very off base considering how many mutations exist even if they are more rare.

JazzysMom