Kalydeco off-label: My first 4 days

jmiller

I am DF508 and 2184delA. I wanted to try Kalydeco for a number of reasons, most of which have been expressed by others on this forum. I called my ins abouta month ago and they offered coverage witha $45 co-pay. I then convinced my physcian to allow me to give it a go. He said that we should proceed very scientifically so that if the ins company pushed back on refills we would have a compelling case for a prior auth.(He also said he would not allow me to remain on it if I did not show "significant" changes in sweat chloride or other clinical outcomes-- which I am okay with) So I went in last week for a sweat chloride test and PFTs. I will attempt to describe my status-quo before and after.
<span style="text-decoration: underline;">Before:
PFT baseline in the 90s, hemoptysis every 2 weeks or so, thick lung junk that comes up following treatments, with airway clearance, after running, and in the morning.... Deep breath in the morning ALWAYS results in coughing fit (except for after a round of IVs), laughing has the same outcome
PFTs pre-Kalydeco: 91% (I had been 100% a month prior but I've had a couple bleeds and junkier lungs in the past few weeks so things were trending down it seemed)
Sweat chloride: 101
<span style="text-decoration: underline;">After:
I acknowledge that I'm only 4.5 days in (I've taken 8 doses)... but I do feel different. It could be placebo effect... but I don't think my mind can trick my body into doing the things I've noticed. After about two days I began noticing that I was bringing stuff up with MUCH less effort and all throughout the day, whereas before I would have times of day that were more productive (because of airway clearance, treatments, etc). Its almost like I would clear my throat and there would be mucus there. I have had decreasingly productive (and thinner mucus) in about that past 36 hours. Yesterday and today I woke up, took a deep breath, and was able to exhale withouta coughing fit. I run daily and did my usual 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday. (let me qualify this by saying I certainly don't think Kalydeco will be my "cure" and get me to carrier status, but I am hopeful it will at least decrease my sweat chloride concentration). I am usually caked in salt to the point that I can see it on my legs. After my run I didn't have time to shower (boys woke up) and I was playing outside. The sun hit my (now dry) legs and I didn't see salt. Take it with a grain of salt (ha) but I'm interested in seeing my new sweat test results when we re-test.
I'll share more in a couple weeks when the "placebo effect" wears off.

jmiller

I am DF508 and 2184delA. I wanted to try Kalydeco for a number of reasons, most of which have been expressed by others on this forum. I called my ins abouta month ago and they offered coverage witha $45 co-pay. I then convinced my physcian to allow me to give it a go. He said that we should proceed very scientifically so that if the ins company pushed back on refills we would have a compelling case for a prior auth.(He also said he would not allow me to remain on it if I did not show "significant" changes in sweat chloride or other clinical outcomes-- which I am okay with) So I went in last week for a sweat chloride test and PFTs. I will attempt to describe my status-quo before and after.
<span style="text-decoration: underline;">Before:
PFT baseline in the 90s, hemoptysis every 2 weeks or so, thick lung junk that comes up following treatments, with airway clearance, after running, and in the morning.... Deep breath in the morning ALWAYS results in coughing fit (except for after a round of IVs), laughing has the same outcome
PFTs pre-Kalydeco: 91% (I had been 100% a month prior but I've had a couple bleeds and junkier lungs in the past few weeks so things were trending down it seemed)
Sweat chloride: 101
<span style="text-decoration: underline;">After:
I acknowledge that I'm only 4.5 days in (I've taken 8 doses)... but I do feel different. It could be placebo effect... but I don't think my mind can trick my body into doing the things I've noticed. After about two days I began noticing that I was bringing stuff up with MUCH less effort and all throughout the day, whereas before I would have times of day that were more productive (because of airway clearance, treatments, etc). Its almost like I would clear my throat and there would be mucus there. I have had decreasingly productive (and thinner mucus) in about that past 36 hours. Yesterday and today I woke up, took a deep breath, and was able to exhale withouta coughing fit. I run daily and did my usual 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday. (let me qualify this by saying I certainly don't think Kalydeco will be my "cure" and get me to carrier status, but I am hopeful it will at least decrease my sweat chloride concentration). I am usually caked in salt to the point that I can see it on my legs. After my run I didn't have time to shower (boys woke up) and I was playing outside. The sun hit my (now dry) legs and I didn't see salt. Take it with a grain of salt (ha) but I'm interested in seeing my new sweat test results when we re-test.
I'll share more in a couple weeks when the "placebo effect" wears off.

JENNYC

So exciting!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey!!! Can't wait till the next update!! Good Luck!!

JENNYC

So exciting!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey!!! Can't wait till the next update!! Good Luck!!

G

Gorf

Please keep us posted, and may I ask the type of Insuarance you have?

G

Gorf

Please keep us posted, and may I ask the type of Insuarance you have?

C

cindylou

That is awesome! Jmiller, one of the first things I noticed was feeling like things were easier to bring up. I usually have a heck of a time trying to cough anything up because my mucus is SO thick and dry... typically I have very violent coughing fits that can last off and on all day before I bring something significant. Within a day or two of starting Kalydeco, I could suddenly cough congestion up with VERY little effort. And I've also had a lot of congestion higher in my lungs & throat than usual - a lot of losing my voice and throat-clearing! I consider that a positive sign, since it means things have been moving up instead of partying in my bases like they usually do!

C

cindylou

That is awesome! Jmiller, one of the first things I noticed was feeling like things were easier to bring up. I usually have a heck of a time trying to cough anything up because my mucus is SO thick and dry... typically I have very violent coughing fits that can last off and on all day before I bring something significant. Within a day or two of starting Kalydeco, I could suddenly cough congestion up with VERY little effort. And I've also had a lot of congestion higher in my lungs & throat than usual - a lot of losing my voice and throat-clearing! I consider that a positive sign, since it means things have been moving up instead of partying in my bases like they usually do!

jmiller

Cindy,

Your last comment is something that I have noticed too -- MUCH more throat-clearing. It's like the mucus just comes out of nowhere (or at least without alot of coughing). I remember the same thing about 10 years ago (when my CF began to become more of an issue). I would do alot of throat clearing... which eventually turned into chronic lung infection... so this feels like the other side of the valley.

Charles,

I have BCBS. My husband accepted a position in Dallas a week ago so starting in June I will be on BCBS of Texas... not sure yet if it will be covered but I know that by that time I should have enough evidence in my arsenel (if PFTs and sweat chloride can show at least a fraction of what I'm feeling) to petition for coverage with a prior auth from my doctor.

Next steps for me: Sweat test a week from Wed. My doctor said he will not feel comfortable writing a letter of medical necessity unless we see some change in sweat chloride. I fear that my levels won't be to the "carrier" cut-off... so now I'm wondering if anyone knows (or can reference) the results from the G551D trial to show the range of sweat chloride reduction?? I figure that if I do show some response in sweat chloride that is in the ballpark of the range exhibitied I have a fighting chance at getting my doc on board. Anyone know where I can find that info?

Thank you for all of the encouragement!

Jackie

jmiller

Cindy,

Your last comment is something that I have noticed too -- MUCH more throat-clearing. It's like the mucus just comes out of nowhere (or at least without alot of coughing). I remember the same thing about 10 years ago (when my CF began to become more of an issue). I would do alot of throat clearing... which eventually turned into chronic lung infection... so this feels like the other side of the valley.

Charles,

I have BCBS. My husband accepted a position in Dallas a week ago so starting in June I will be on BCBS of Texas... not sure yet if it will be covered but I know that by that time I should have enough evidence in my arsenel (if PFTs and sweat chloride can show at least a fraction of what I'm feeling) to petition for coverage with a prior auth from my doctor.

Next steps for me: Sweat test a week from Wed. My doctor said he will not feel comfortable writing a letter of medical necessity unless we see some change in sweat chloride. I fear that my levels won't be to the "carrier" cut-off... so now I'm wondering if anyone knows (or can reference) the results from the G551D trial to show the range of sweat chloride reduction?? I figure that if I do show some response in sweat chloride that is in the ballpark of the range exhibitied I have a fighting chance at getting my doc on board. Anyone know where I can find that info?

Thank you for all of the encouragement!

Jackie

Dayna1

Jmiller,
I am a mother of a 17 year old who is an athlete, her first hospital visit for IV Therapy was July 2011 and March 2012. We were devastated that she had reached the point where these hospital visits would be necessary. But during her July stay my older daughter emailed information on Kaydeco. I was very excited yet skeptical .
I am following your progress with anticipation and excitement and praying for your continued improvement. Thank you so much for sharing, you have lifted a big stone from my shoulders.

Dayna1

Jmiller,
I am a mother of a 17 year old who is an athlete, her first hospital visit for IV Therapy was July 2011 and March 2012. We were devastated that she had reached the point where these hospital visits would be necessary. But during her July stay my older daughter emailed information on Kaydeco. I was very excited yet skeptical .
I am following your progress with anticipation and excitement and praying for your continued improvement. Thank you so much for sharing, you have lifted a big stone from my shoulders.

jmiller

One more thing -- reading Cindy's post made me realize I hadn't shared how my exercise has been going. First I should say that I have been running continuously (with breaks for lung bleeds and child births) for about 15 years now. I do between 5-7 miles most days. Usually I will be good for the first half and then start bringing stuff up... then for the remainder of the run I feel like I am on the verge of a coughing fit and can never really get things "under control". After a run, I'm hacking around and unable to really carry on a conversation for a bit.

Since Kalydeco, I've noticed that my legs poop out before my lungs. I did 7 yesterday and would have gone more if I didn't have a meeting to get to. I still bring some stuff up, but if I need to cough it out I do and then I'm right back to my controlled breathing. My breathing patterns remain steady throughout the run -- I haven't felt that in several years.

Sweat test Wednesday...

jmiller

One more thing -- reading Cindy's post made me realize I hadn't shared how my exercise has been going. First I should say that I have been running continuously (with breaks for lung bleeds and child births) for about 15 years now. I do between 5-7 miles most days. Usually I will be good for the first half and then start bringing stuff up... then for the remainder of the run I feel like I am on the verge of a coughing fit and can never really get things "under control". After a run, I'm hacking around and unable to really carry on a conversation for a bit.

Since Kalydeco, I've noticed that my legs poop out before my lungs. I did 7 yesterday and would have gone more if I didn't have a meeting to get to. I still bring some stuff up, but if I need to cough it out I do and then I'm right back to my controlled breathing. My breathing patterns remain steady throughout the run -- I haven't felt that in several years.

Sweat test Wednesday...