Kalydeco

Enzo2311

So what exactly does it do? Is it true it cures 1/2 of CF? How does it make your liver produce more enzymes? How long do you have to use it until you can stop and you're fixed? Why is it so expensive?

My doctor said I can be in phase 2 of the studies, but is it safe? I'm worried I'm gonna like, die or something. Does it cost money to participate in the studies? How can I be apart of the studies? What are the benefits of doing the studies?

Nugget1

It is not a "cure" from my understanding, but a very effective therapy currently only working for a specific defect. BUT it is being studied with an additional drug to see if it will have the same beneficial results for other mutations, particularly DeltaF508, the most common. From what I understand it helps improve lung function and weight gain. I don't know that all the other things that CF patients have to do are entirely eliminated, but through taking this simple pill they see an improvement to their lives.

JENNYC

Hi my daughter is on Kalydeco right now and all I can say is I would jump through any hoop to get in on the trial they are offering you. Unfortunately she is too young. The Kalydeco alone is helping our daughter so much I can not wait to get her on the 809 with the Kalydeco. My advice....get in on the trial! You won't regret it!! And as far as possible side effects and cost...I would ask your research coordinator. The only side effect that I am aware of for Kalydeco (and yall jump in if I'm wrong) is possible rise in liver enzymes. Luckily Abby did not have this side effect.

S

stranger

Kalydeco is an in-order-of-magnitude game-changer therapy and the type that was unheard of in CF and probably unthinkable after the fall-out of failed gene therapy hopes circa 94-95'ish.

It is what's known as a 'potentiator,' it allows those with CF who have some level of functioning protein that exists on the surface of certain cells to provide NaCl exchange. The lack of this NaCl exchange contributes to the sticky mucus problem which is at the core of fatality curve associated with CF. It's not a cure. Those with access to Kalydeco have to take it everyday forever (unless something better comes along; if there are parts of the body that don't like Kalydeco (liver being the most culpable reading the papers filed w the FDA).

If one has a chance to get into a trial with Kalydeco, if you demonstrate efficacy, it will be unlike anything you have ever taken / exercise program / deity praying -wise. If it works on you, it will work in a matter of days, not weeks or months. It is like a like switch being turned on in a dark, dark room.

It cannot reverse scarring that is on your lungs already but it can prevent future scarring.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
i think you mean phase 3 for the 809 and kalydeco trial since you have two copies of df508 if i remember correctly. if you do the trial you will get the drugs about one year before everyone else. i would fight to get in. they have already passed many safety hurddles and they watch you ckosely while on. id call dr today and say i want in and asap.

Enzo2311

Kalydeco is an in-order-of-magnitude game-changer therapy and the type that was unheard of in CF and probably unthinkable after the fall-out of failed gene therapy hopes circa 94-95'ish.

It is what's known as a 'potentiator,' it allows those with CF who have some level of functioning protein that exists on the surface of certain cells to provide NaCl exchange. The lack of this NaCl exchange contributes to the sticky mucus problem which is at the core of fatality curve associated with CF. It's not a cure. Those with access to Kalydeco have to take it everyday forever (unless something better comes along; if there are parts of the body that don't like Kalydeco (liver being the most culpable reading the papers filed w the FDA).

If one has a chance to get into a trial with Kalydeco, if you demonstrate efficacy, it will be unlike anything you have ever taken / exercise program / deity praying -wise. If it works on you, it will work in a matter of days, not weeks or months. It is like a like switch being turned on in a dark, dark room.

It cannot reverse scarring that is on your lungs already but it can prevent future scarring.
Hi my daughter is on Kalydeco right now and all I can say is I would jump through any hoop to get in on the trial they are offering you. Unfortunately she is too young. The Kalydeco alone is helping our daughter so much I can not wait to get her on the 809 with the Kalydeco. My advice....get in on the trial! You won't regret it!! And as far as possible side effects and cost...I would ask your research coordinator. The only side effect that I am aware of for Kalydeco (and yall jump in if I'm wrong) is possible rise in liver enzymes. Luckily Abby did not have this side effect.
for like 120 pils it costs $30,000, how can anyone afford to take it forever? No one could afford that.

How often must it be take? One a day? One a week? What did the doctor say to your daughter, like when she can stop taking it? Like can she slowly withdraw from it at a certain point?

Enzo2311

i think you mean phase 3 for the 809 and kalydeco trial since you have two copies of df508 if i remember correctly. if you do the trial you will get the drugs about one year before everyone else. i would fight to get in. they have already passed many safety hurddles and they watch you ckosely while on. id call dr today and say i want in and asap.
i have cf day Friday so I'm gonna say I want in. Especially since its free (I'm assuming), he mentioned it to me a few months ago so I hope I can still participate.

Tom

taking kalydeco for 18 months

My son has been taking Kalydeco for about 18 months now and all that I can say is he is a completely different person. He is 9 years old and in the past year alone he has gained 16 pounds, grown about 5 inches, FEV1 has gone from 92 - 102, hardly needs to take enzymes, no more aerosol treatments and no more vest. It is literally like he does not have CF. Of course, he still has CF but the change has been dramatic and it has completely changed our family.

He did have elevated liver enzymes but they resolved within a few months. I truly hope and pray that the kalydeco vx809 or kalydeco vx661 combinations help the entire CF population because everyone DESERVES this chance.

To comment on an above post about scarring... My son had what appeared to be scarring in his left lower lobe (not confirmed by bronchoscopy) that completely resolved. He also now cultures only normal flora while before he has cultured staph aureus, haemophilus and pseudomonas.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
for like 120 pils it costs $30,000, how can anyone afford to take it forever? No one could afford that.

How often must it be take? One a day? One a week? What did the doctor say to your daughter, like when she can stop taking it? Like can she slowly withdraw from it at a certain point?

The dosage is twice a day. It is not a "cure" and the improvements made will only remain as long as the drug is in your system. So if you stop taking it, your CF symptoms will return to pre drug conditions.

But, the potential is amazing. We are currently trying to get my daughter enrolled in the study.

M

Murphysmama

Tom,

Thanks so much for the uplifting post. How tremendously wonderful!!! Love the line about changing your family!!! We can't wait. It's just so great to hear how significant the impact is for the CFer and their family. I know we are closer than ever but it really helps to hear first hand reports. Keeps the light shining in for me.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Yes, Tom, thank you so much for sharing. I was crying reading it thinking of the "normalacy" your family is likely experience for the first time in a long time and hoping we'll be there too some day. Also, I wanted you to know, if you weren't aware, that Vertex just announced a Phase 2 study on 661 and 770 (Kalydeco) for those with 551 on one allelle and df508 on the other. Does your son have that as his second gene? 80% of those with 551 do. In vitro showed that that combination (not sure if it is 661 or 809, but they work the same), get CFTR function for those with 551 and df508 to 80% of normal cftr function. Imagine what that could mean for your son!!! Thanks again for sharing this wonderful news--I shared with several of my family and friends so they could get a glimpse of what we are so hopeful (and desparate for).
Hugs and Prayers,
Love

S

stranger

how can you not have $30k lying around each month? doesn't everybody???

W

welshwitch

Hi,

does anyone have contact info to get enrolled in the trial? Thanks!

D

Deb

I just finished the trial for those with R117H and other gaiting mutations. Although I can't share a lot, it did improve my lung function significantly and I did gain weight (even though I did not want to) It also helped with my sinus issues. Although we can't say for sure I think the drug is safe. I didn't grow an extra arm or anything. :) Although it can't reverse the amount of damage in my remaining lung (left lobe lobectomy in 2010) it will prevent me from further damage. I figured at 53 even if it didn't work for me, I would be helping all the newborns and young children out there by participating in this trial. At this point I think that it will help me live even longer and hopefully everyone will benefit from this drug some day soon.
You do have to take it twice a day, orally. You do have to continue all of your other meds and chest therapy. since I don't have digestive issues I don't know if it will eventually allow those people to quit their enzymes.
I know that they are expanding the study now and more people will be allowed to enroll. The study has also grown to many centers throughout the US and Europe. I would think that all CF centers have access to the list of centers involved in the study. I would encourage anyone who qualifies to go for it. It requires a big time commitment for visits, but they will pay your expenses.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Kalydeco is this little Idol I bow to every morning. I am holding back on the trial because my mutation is heterozygous S1235R and I am sixty three years old. That irreversible damage has pretty well done its best and frankly I would rather see somebody else on the drug.

Ever since CF’s biochemistry and genetics has been known, we have been trying to throw good genes at our mucosal cells. At first, the genes were placed in a super solvent like DMSO and breathed as a mist. Soon scientists had shot benign viruses full of good genes and infected patients with good genes by breathing a mist of the viral concoction. This was and is successful to some degree but very short term and requiring isolation because of the unknown dangers of an engineered virus. The danger was believed to be nonexistent but it would be irresponsible to expose the general population to a controlled trial of this nature.

Not so with Kalydeco, but the understatement of the century was Forbes praise for Kalydeco as “The Drug of 2012”. Uh, somebody just homebrewed the equivalent of the atom bomb and it gets relegated to drug of the year? Is it dangerous and are there a thousand unknowns? Yes and no, and that is what you get with a fast tracked drug. It is a no brainer, a drug that might eventually have a fatal side effect verses a disease that most certainly is life shortening, will be advanced ahead of the most extreme cautions all drugs eventually go through.

Scientists enjoy reading history like most people but we ferret out books on the history of antibiotic discoveries, new advances and of course medical tragedies. I was in France about fifteen years after a new tranquilizer was prescribed to pregnant women and quickly pulled from the market when births showed the horror of the drug’s side effects. “Thalidomide Babies” became a term in our language as these new bundles of joy were born with no arms or legs, missing segments of limbs like a hand at the shoulder with no arm in between or hands and feet seemingly exchanged. Most were normal intelligence and for the few years the media followed them we saw many profiles in courage as children missing arms would learn to use their legs and feet as arms and hands or such. Europe always has had a more moderate track for drug approval but the whole world tightened their drug vetting regulations after Thalidomide. I saw hundreds of these teens (grown Thalidomide babies) lining popular sites in Paris, begging for change.

Welcome to a brave new world! It isn’t impossible that another” Thalidomide” will escape into the general population, but drug testing has history to help with the extensive and exhaustive testing done before it ever is given to people. Kalydeco has gone though 99% of its testing and controlled trials are now years old. It is as safe as it can be, the variety in human makeup is always the last unknown. You won’t know how it will affect you until you take it. This is true of all drugs and many foods.

This isn’t a simple drug. Several things are required for a genetic drug to do its job. It needs something that will attract the drug to its target gene, this is called a vector. Sort of like FedEx coming to a business that always has deliveries and shipments, the drug comes to the loading dock. It next needs to deliver a service engineer for a quick parts swap. At genetic address 551 in the CFTR gene there are some claim jumpers that should be evicted called aspartic acid. Aspartic acid is similar to the genetic ladder rung guanine. Aspartic acid fits the same bond pattern as guanine but it doesn’t template or send the correct instructions. It’s like a bad cell phone connection and you miss some critical information. Kalydeco is a designed drug which can’t really be said for most of the medicine out there.

All fantastic drugs like the first small pox inoculations get a little nervous humor poked at it. Indeed aspirin kills a first time patient possibly one every day because of human variety. That means any drug could be fatal to somebody and it comes down to risk over benefit. You won’t be given Kalydeco and ignored. Your doctors will be monitoring things from the first dose.

I wonder what toxins might be released as infection and inflammation begins to flood the liver and kidneys due to Kalydeco improving a person’s health. A prime target of Kalydeco ends up releasing pretty much all aspartic acid for guanine and that error is in every cell in your body. If just the mucosal membrane cells were stripped of their aspartic acid, possibly this repair process is skewing ALT numbers. An aspartic acid quantity not normally expected by the liver may be showing good news. Maybe too much good news and hence doctors are adjusting the dosage to allow the liver to process the excess goo. The liver is sort of the ultimate chemical laboratory and if there is genetic variety we don’t know or understand, a lot may be hiding in the liver. Doctors are sketchy when test numbers are being discussed. Try to get a straight answer to how high ALT’s and other liver function tests must be for liver failure, most will evade a definite number except to say you are a long ways away. At 250, it is a concern for sure, but what if your number is 500 or 5000? Or, are you dead long before 5000 ever shows up? You are probably in need of a liver transplant when you start creeping into the thousands, but my brother’s numbers are high (1100) from Hepatitis and Agent Orange, both from the same S.E. Asian war. He is 68 and very healthy.

If you have the mutations to be made better with Kalydeco, go for it. Mutation G551D gets the full body massage, but as a CF moderator for other mutations if you could arrest further damage. Insurance is in it for the long term, generally ninety years opposed to ninety days like most businesses. Kalydeco is going to known as the genetic gateway drug if my prediction holds. The high price of drugs over the last twenty five years has been to pay for genetic drug research and a lot of retooling. Insurance is paying these seemingly outrageous prices because they know when to back a good horse and this is a huge promise, like Secretariat born again. It is a horse that won’t lose.

Hundreds of enzymes are made in the liver but none are the type that digests food in the conventional sense. Higher than normal liver enzyme leves often include digestive enzymes but those are mostly supplied by the pancreas attached to your liver through a common bile duct. Bile works like an enzyme/solvent for lipid and large fat molecules but is in fact a waste product of the liver that we repurpose in digestion of fats. You don't want high liver enzyme numbers, this usually implies a damaged liver, with inadequate capacity or one that is being overloaded by toxins.

LL