Know Allan Personally?

TCNJcystic

Hi all! Since Allan's passing, I've been talking with Jessica (Allansgirl) over e-mail about writing a movie script based on his life. It would likely be just for Jessica to have as something to remember him by as I'm just a fledgling writer with delusions of...well...money...

In any case, I'm asking anyone who has known anything about R. Allan Glenn personally or who has any ideas to contribute to a script to post them here. I've been planning it out in my head for some time now, and I'm scheduled to start writing it in May sometime. Hope to hear something helpful!

Faust

Cool idea steve, but i'm sorry, I have no idea who you are talking about. I'm a little new compared to others, so maybe that's why.

JazzysMom

Well I have to say that the idea of Win Ace's life being in writing gives me goosebumps. You have so many sources to get info from. He was known ALL over the world wide web! Good Luck!

Diane

Thats an AWESOME idea !! I didnt know Allan very personally, i wrote an email or two to him and he always responded, but that was about it. What i do remember him telling me was that he had cepacia for 15 years after i asked him how long he has had it. I still think of him often. He was a BIG presence on this board.

imondeck

Steve, I think that would be a wonderful project! Allan certainly was a very special person and touched many lives.

reillybug

That is a wonderful idea. And from the short period of time I knew of Allan, I know that he would appreciate it. He was a great poet. Emily was close to him, I believe so she would be a great source of information.

catboogie

hey, i may be able to help. my memory is not very good, but i chatted with allan often, especially toward the end of his life. i felt connected to him because he moved here to get a tx at the hospital i go to and it turned out we had the same doctor! anyway, somewhere i have a copy of a letter i received back from governor easley, one of the people i had written to bring allan's case to his attention. it is depressing and doesn't say much. i made myself available to allan if he needed anything, or to help him raise money or whatever. unfortunately, not much besides the letters ever got off the ground. BUT, i did get him in touch with the woman from the news&observer who wrote that article about him.

i remember the day allan died. i will always remember it. i found out the news, i was very sad. i walked around in a sort of fog all that day. i would forget about it and then it would hit me again -- the pain all over again. it wasn't until that night that i really let go...i was doing my nebulizer treatment and just started silently sobbing.

you can't get close to everyone you meet with CF -- that would be emotionally impossible for me. you have to choose. allan i chose and i wasn't ever quite sure why except that we are both writers and i saw such talent and wisdom and potential in him. i can't even say we were "close friends," but i shared a very strong bond with him, from my side at least. i have not and i will not delete his name from my messenger or my email list. i do not ever want to forget.

laura

oh, i came across jessica's great strides website. the walk is sunday in chapel hill. if someone is in touch with jessica, could they tell her about the CF benefit at the cats cradle this friday? (there was a post on here about it.) i'm not sure if she is still living in NC, but if she is she might want to go.

sorry to keep adding on to this. so steve, if you are going to make a documentary of allan's life, why not use it as a chance to spread awareness about the lack of organ donation in this country??? i think helping to "fix" this problem would be the greatest tribute of all to allan.

TCNJcystic

Thanks for the help.

I did not know Allan personally, but I was so moved by his story that I decided to write about it.

As of now, the story will focus on his love with Jessica while spreading awareness for cf and the inability for medical insurance to come through when it was often truly needed.

Laura, if you wouldn't mind sending me copies of your correspondence with the Governor, I'd love to read them.

Keep posting if you have ideas.

anonymous

Steve,

What a wonderful idea... I think Allan was such a wonderful and gifted writer as well, and to have something written about him would serve as a true tribute. I did not know him well, other than his posts on cf2chat. He often sucked me in with his vivid (and all too true) humour. Once I started reading one of his "update" posts, I couldn't stop. He was brutally honest with a writer's gift. I often told him he should be a writer (as I'm sure I'm not the only one to mention this). I only wish he'd lived long enough to see that day. I was truly saddened by his passing. I grieved for Jessica as well, as I knew what a beacon of light and hope she was for him.

I agree with Laura 110%.... something that gives attention to the lack of organ donors in this country would be a lasting tribute, and another thing I feel Allan strongly believed in. I also like your ideas of a love story and the beuaracracy of medicine. How fitting and true. I cannot wait to hear more.

Sonia

anonymous

I was familiar with Allan from this site and his own, and I found him to be a refreshingly witty and intelligent person. I was a little dissapointed that he was so almost abrassively negative sometimes, but I know from my CF experience, this can't always be helped, and for WinAce things must have been exceedingly frustrating. He was a delight thought. His rapier wit and his strength of character were enjoyable to bear witness to.

catboogie

hey steve,

i found the letter from governor easley. it is pretty short and boring and form-ish. i would be glad to send you a copy if you would like. i deleted all of the letters i sent because i was too frustrated after allan died. i wish i had them so that i could share them with you...

laura

TCNJcystic

Thank you so much! Is is a hardcopy or an electronic copy? How would you like to send it...snail mail, e-mail, PM, IM...whatever works for you.

catboogie

hey steve,

why don't you PM me and we'll figure it out. i have a scanner here, so i could either scan it or copy it and send it to you.

laura