Lactoferrin

catalinaohara

Hi there

Anyone heard of the new studies being done/thought about involving lactoferrin, the stuff that is in breast milk? Well, my doctor told me that there are some things brewing about it, that it helps with inflammation, I feel like an idiot but I forgot exactly what it is they think it does to help CF. Anyway, it is already included in a lot of protein powders and things like that through GNC and other companies like that. I usually try to steer towards organic or natural powders, and I am having a hard time finding anything in that realm that contains lactoferrin. My dr. suggested trying it out in these over the counter forms since i take protein powder anyway.

The only thing i've found is capsules from a place called AOR, and capsules from LEF (life extension formulas)...anyone take anything from those places? Also a thing called Muscle Milk which sounds scary ! (it has tons of other ingredients) at GNC. Anyway just wondering if anyone's heard, or if not,, maybe they want to ask their doctors about it so we can get some more notice going?

I am interested in it a lot because I didn't show one symptom of CF until my mother stopped breast feeding me. Perhaps it was coincidence but I always found it interesting. I have an appt. tomorrow, I'll find out more.

thanks!

Caitlin
24 w/ b cepacia

catalinaohara

Hi there

Anyone heard of the new studies being done/thought about involving lactoferrin, the stuff that is in breast milk? Well, my doctor told me that there are some things brewing about it, that it helps with inflammation, I feel like an idiot but I forgot exactly what it is they think it does to help CF. Anyway, it is already included in a lot of protein powders and things like that through GNC and other companies like that. I usually try to steer towards organic or natural powders, and I am having a hard time finding anything in that realm that contains lactoferrin. My dr. suggested trying it out in these over the counter forms since i take protein powder anyway.

The only thing i've found is capsules from a place called AOR, and capsules from LEF (life extension formulas)...anyone take anything from those places? Also a thing called Muscle Milk which sounds scary ! (it has tons of other ingredients) at GNC. Anyway just wondering if anyone's heard, or if not,, maybe they want to ask their doctors about it so we can get some more notice going?

I am interested in it a lot because I didn't show one symptom of CF until my mother stopped breast feeding me. Perhaps it was coincidence but I always found it interesting. I have an appt. tomorrow, I'll find out more.

thanks!

Caitlin
24 w/ b cepacia

catalinaohara

Hi there

thanks!

Caitlin
24 w/ b cepacia

catalinaohara

Hi there

thanks!

Caitlin
24 w/ b cepacia

catalinaohara

Hi there

thanks!

Caitlin
24 w/ b cepacia

LouLou

Caitlyn, This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I googled lactoferrin and cystic fibrosis and read some interesting articles. It seems that lactoferrin helps prohibit the development of biofilm. Whether this can be extrapolated to say that lactoferrin prohibits PA non-mucoid from turning into mucoid I wonder. I did read that cfers have a low amount of lactoferrin in the lungs probably due to cell damage and to restore it would require toxic levels. Seems like a good thing to ingest as your dr. is suggesting. I have heard of Muscle Milk. It's popular here in Philadelphia.

My lactation consultant has told me that many cfers don't show symptoms until the mother weans the baby. I hadn't heard this before her but now you are proof. Hey maybe you should go back on the breast J/K. Although I did see recently someone selling breastmilk on Craigslist.

Maybe we all need a daily shot of it?

Sorry I'm not more help.

LouLou

Caitlyn, This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I googled lactoferrin and cystic fibrosis and read some interesting articles. It seems that lactoferrin helps prohibit the development of biofilm. Whether this can be extrapolated to say that lactoferrin prohibits PA non-mucoid from turning into mucoid I wonder. I did read that cfers have a low amount of lactoferrin in the lungs probably due to cell damage and to restore it would require toxic levels. Seems like a good thing to ingest as your dr. is suggesting. I have heard of Muscle Milk. It's popular here in Philadelphia.

My lactation consultant has told me that many cfers don't show symptoms until the mother weans the baby. I hadn't heard this before her but now you are proof. Hey maybe you should go back on the breast J/K. Although I did see recently someone selling breastmilk on Craigslist.

Sorry I'm not more help.

LouLou

Sorry I'm not more help.

LouLou

Sorry I'm not more help.

LouLou

Sorry I'm not more help.