Laras results

Alyssa

Well, there isn't much to add, the others have done such a great job already!

I just want to emphasis again about the first visit. Do expect to spend at least 3-4 hours there. Most appointments are a series of different tasks - you will do and talk about different things with different people and they all come and go from the room (and you also may leave - going for a chest x-ray or pulmonary function tests)

I'm sorry I don't remember anything about the age of you child(ren) but if you have other children try to make other arrangements for them that day and bring your own entertainment and snacks for Lara (assuming she is not an infant). Also consider bringing a support person with you... husband/mother/friend whoever you feel is best and a note book or tape recorder. I purchased a really good voice recorder for our first visit because my husband was not able to come with me. I did go back and listen to a couple of the sections later on and it gave me piece of mind to know that I wasn't missing something or hearing it incorrectly. You will be talking about so many different things that day, you will tend to forget parts of it. It's nice to know the tape is rolling.

If you have time, you could read my first entry on blog page about my kids because they too have been diagnosed as A-Typical. I just added an update about them. My daughter is 19 years old, my son is 21.

Alyssa

I just want to emphasis again about the first visit. Do expect to spend at least 3-4 hours there. Most appointments are a series of different tasks - you will do and talk about different things with different people and they all come and go from the room (and you also may leave - going for a chest x-ray or pulmonary function tests)

I'm sorry I don't remember anything about the age of you child(ren) but if you have other children try to make other arrangements for them that day and bring your own entertainment and snacks for Lara (assuming she is not an infant). Also consider bringing a support person with you... husband/mother/friend whoever you feel is best and a note book or tape recorder. I purchased a really good voice recorder for our first visit because my husband was not able to come with me. I did go back and listen to a couple of the sections later on and it gave me piece of mind to know that I wasn't missing something or hearing it incorrectly. You will be talking about so many different things that day, you will tend to forget parts of it. It's nice to know the tape is rolling.

If you have time, you could read my first entry on blog page about my kids because they too have been diagnosed as A-Typical. I just added an update about them. My daughter is 19 years old, my son is 21.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

CFHockeyMom

Rare and common have nothing to do with gene class which is more commonly associated with clinical outcome.

I'll agree with Heather that your Dr. is probably remiss in telling you that the R75Q isn't common. It definitely isn't as common as DF508 but that doesn't make it uncommon.

Here is some info I found in my various papers I've collected along the way...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator
The R75Q mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) occurs in high frequency in patients with atypical mild cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A substitution of arginine for glutamine at codon 75 in exon 3 was found on five chromosomes. This R75Q variant is not thought to cause multiorgan CF but has been found to be associated with atypical CF manifestations, such as CAVD and bronchiectasis. This amino acid variant was also found in two out of 200 normal alleles but was not detected on 412 CF chromosomes. Thus, the R75Q allele is significantly more frequent in our group of atypical CF patients than in the general population. This observation suggests an association of the R75Q substitution with mild CF symptoms, as proposed by Zielenski and Tsui.</end quote></div>

R75Q is considered a Class IV mutation which results in a normal amount of functional CFTR at the cell membrane, but chloride conductance is reduced. These mutations are generally associated with a pancreatic sufficiency.

Here is some info Allie posted on gene classes...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Genotype-phenotype correlation for pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.de Gracia J, Mata F, Alvarez A, Casals T, Gatner S, Vendrell M, de la Rosa D, Guarner L, Hermosilla E.
Department of Pneumology, Hospital general Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain. jgracia@separ.es

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.
</end quote></div>

All that said, we have plenty of people on the forum here that have the same genotypes but completely different clinical outcomes. Environment, compliance, quality of care, and luck all contribute to clinical outcome.

CFHockeyMom

Rare and common have nothing to do with gene class which is more commonly associated with clinical outcome.

I'll agree with Heather that your Dr. is probably remiss in telling you that the R75Q isn't common. It definitely isn't as common as DF508 but that doesn't make it uncommon.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator
The R75Q mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) occurs in high frequency in patients with atypical mild cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A substitution of arginine for glutamine at codon 75 in exon 3 was found on five chromosomes. This R75Q variant is not thought to cause multiorgan CF but has been found to be associated with atypical CF manifestations, such as CAVD and bronchiectasis. This amino acid variant was also found in two out of 200 normal alleles but was not detected on 412 CF chromosomes. Thus, the R75Q allele is significantly more frequent in our group of atypical CF patients than in the general population. This observation suggests an association of the R75Q substitution with mild CF symptoms, as proposed by Zielenski and Tsui.</end quote></div>

R75Q is considered a Class IV mutation which results in a normal amount of functional CFTR at the cell membrane, but chloride conductance is reduced. These mutations are generally associated with a pancreatic sufficiency.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Genotype-phenotype correlation for pulmonary function in cystic fibrosis.de Gracia J, Mata F, Alvarez A, Casals T, Gatner S, Vendrell M, de la Rosa D, Guarner L, Hermosilla E.
Department of Pneumology, Hospital general Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain. jgracia@separ.es

BACKGROUND: Since the CFTR gene was cloned, more than 1000 mutations have been identified. To date, a clear relationship has not been established between genotype and the progression of lung damage. A study was undertaken of the relationship between genotype, progression of lung disease, and survival in adult patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). METHODS: A prospective cohort of adult patients with CF and two CFTR mutations followed up in an adult cystic fibrosis unit was analysed. Patients were classified according to functional effects of classes of CFTR mutations and were grouped based on the CFTR molecular position on the epithelial cell surface (I-II/I-II, I-II/III-V). Spirometric values, progression of lung disease, probability of survival, and clinical characteristics were analysed between groups. RESULTS: Seventy four patients were included in the study. Patients with genotype I-II/I-II had significantly lower current spirometric values (p < 0.001), greater loss of pulmonary function (p < 0.04), a higher proportion of end-stage lung disease (p < 0.001), a higher risk of suffering from moderate to severe lung disease (odds ratio 7.12 (95% CI 1.3 to 40.5)) and a lower probability of survival than patients with genotype I-II/III, I-II/IV and I-II/V (p < 0.001). CONCLUSIONS: The presence of class I or II mutations on both chromosomes is associated with worse respiratory disease and a lower probability of survival.
</end quote></div>

All that said, we have plenty of people on the forum here that have the same genotypes but completely different clinical outcomes. Environment, compliance, quality of care, and luck all contribute to clinical outcome.

CFHockeyMom

</end quote></div>

CFHockeyMom

The R75Q mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) occurs in high frequency in patients with atypical mild cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.</end quote>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A substitution of arginine for glutamine at codon 75 in exon 3 was found on five chromosomes. This R75Q variant is not thought to cause multiorgan CF but has been found to be associated with atypical CF manifestations, such as CAVD and bronchiectasis. This amino acid variant was also found in two out of 200 normal alleles but was not detected on 412 CF chromosomes. Thus, the R75Q allele is significantly more frequent in our group of atypical CF patients than in the general population. This observation suggests an association of the R75Q substitution with mild CF symptoms, as proposed by Zielenski and Tsui.</end quote>

</end quote>

CFHockeyMom

The R75Q mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) occurs in high frequency in patients with atypical mild cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.</end quote>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A substitution of arginine for glutamine at codon 75 in exon 3 was found on five chromosomes. This R75Q variant is not thought to cause multiorgan CF but has been found to be associated with atypical CF manifestations, such as CAVD and bronchiectasis. This amino acid variant was also found in two out of 200 normal alleles but was not detected on 412 CF chromosomes. Thus, the R75Q allele is significantly more frequent in our group of atypical CF patients than in the general population. This observation suggests an association of the R75Q substitution with mild CF symptoms, as proposed by Zielenski and Tsui.</end quote>

</end quote>

larasmommy

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your responses and virtual hugs, All of you guys are so knowledgeable and helpful, and I have to say that this site is helping me get through this.

I have been numb for the last 3 days, shocked, but not shocked, knew she had it in my gut, but I guess I was still hoping that she wouldnt. Its very hard to explain, but Im sure that all of you know exactly what I am trying to say. I wish that this website didnt exist because that would mean that all of you would be fine, and this crappy disease wouldnt exist either... but this is real life and most wishes dont come true, I know that now....but anyway....back to reality.

I went to the cf center yesterday (the original appt was for 8/15) because Lara got this High fever that came out of left field on Tues night (104.0) and I panicked, it made me realize that with all the research I had done, I know nothing. I didnt know who to call about the fever(pulmo or ped), if now that I know she has cf, did it matter if her fever was that high and so on , so i called both , both called me back and long story short, her appt to the center was yesterday. All of you were right, we were there for about 3 hrs, meeting the team. I went for all of her bloodwork this morning, she had the sputnum culture yesterday, stool sample today, and have to go back on Mon. for the xray (the xray dept had closed by the time I was finished....

But I just wanted to let you guys know her other mutation, it reads .....

621+1G>T cf mutation
R75Q cftr variant
status at the intron 8 polymorphism is 7T/9T and the TG status is 10TG/11TG

I remember reading about the T's and G's somewhere on this site (i think Steve the Ambry guy was explaining them as a response to someone) but am soooooo confused.
Laras dr said to wait for all the tests to come back, and me and my husband have to be tested and she will be able to explain more. (I didnt see a genetic counsler yesterday) but was hoping I could. I feel like if I could just understand it better I will be able to help her more.
Ive taken up enough space (maybe it should have been a blog) but like I said you guys are great with all of your info and help.

Thanks again
Marie

larasmommy

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your responses and virtual hugs, All of you guys are so knowledgeable and helpful, and I have to say that this site is helping me get through this.

I have been numb for the last 3 days, shocked, but not shocked, knew she had it in my gut, but I guess I was still hoping that she wouldnt. Its very hard to explain, but Im sure that all of you know exactly what I am trying to say. I wish that this website didnt exist because that would mean that all of you would be fine, and this crappy disease wouldnt exist either... but this is real life and most wishes dont come true, I know that now....but anyway....back to reality.

I went to the cf center yesterday (the original appt was for 8/15) because Lara got this High fever that came out of left field on Tues night (104.0) and I panicked, it made me realize that with all the research I had done, I know nothing. I didnt know who to call about the fever(pulmo or ped), if now that I know she has cf, did it matter if her fever was that high and so on , so i called both , both called me back and long story short, her appt to the center was yesterday. All of you were right, we were there for about 3 hrs, meeting the team. I went for all of her bloodwork this morning, she had the sputnum culture yesterday, stool sample today, and have to go back on Mon. for the xray (the xray dept had closed by the time I was finished....

621+1G>T cf mutation
R75Q cftr variant

I remember reading about the T's and G's somewhere on this site (i think Steve the Ambry guy was explaining them as a response to someone) but am soooooo confused.
Laras dr said to wait for all the tests to come back, and me and my husband have to be tested and she will be able to explain more. (I didnt see a genetic counsler yesterday) but was hoping I could. I feel like if I could just understand it better I will be able to help her more.
Ive taken up enough space (maybe it should have been a blog) but like I said you guys are great with all of your info and help.

Thanks again
Marie

larasmommy

Hi Everyone

621+1G>T cf mutation
R75Q cftr variant

Thanks again
Marie

larasmommy

Hi Everyone

621+1G>T cf mutation
R75Q cftr variant

Thanks again
Marie

larasmommy

Hi Everyone

621+1G>T cf mutation
R75Q cftr variant

Thanks again
Marie