law against this?/husband unemployed/COBRA not an option

ojaioluxmommy

We're in a REALLY bad situation with insurance. My husbands company told him at the beginning of the month that he would be laid-off, but they didn't mention anything about us not being eligible for health care through COBRA. This came about on Wednesday when I asked my husband to inquire about how we apply for COBRA. When he spoke with the COBRA lady, she told him that we would not be able to receive it because the company will no longer be paying into a group plan. At this point we are STILL waiting to hear from his company as to whether or not our insurance will end on April 1st, or will continue throughout the month of April, or what? We are working on applying for CCS and then GHPP(California) for our daughter(4 with CF), but we cannot even send in the application until we can give them an exact date and letter from the insurance company and my husbands company stating the date coverage will end. This all seems absurdly wrong and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any law against it, or if you have any other advice?????
Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

We're in a REALLY bad situation with insurance. My husbands company told him at the beginning of the month that he would be laid-off, but they didn't mention anything about us not being eligible for health care through COBRA. This came about on Wednesday when I asked my husband to inquire about how we apply for COBRA. When he spoke with the COBRA lady, she told him that we would not be able to receive it because the company will no longer be paying into a group plan. At this point we are STILL waiting to hear from his company as to whether or not our insurance will end on April 1st, or will continue throughout the month of April, or what? We are working on applying for CCS and then GHPP(California) for our daughter(4 with CF), but we cannot even send in the application until we can give them an exact date and letter from the insurance company and my husbands company stating the date coverage will end. This all seems absurdly wrong and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any law against it, or if you have any other advice?????
Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

<br />Thank you!-Holly

lmattaway

Ugh. What a headache. It doesn't seem right, although if his company is no longer paying into a group plan (cutting health care insurance) then COBRA wouldn't be available either. Have you talked with the social worker at your daughter's clinic? They might have some suggestions as to what your next steps should be. So sorry you have to deal with this.

lmattaway

Ugh. What a headache. It doesn't seem right, although if his company is no longer paying into a group plan (cutting health care insurance) then COBRA wouldn't be available either. Have you talked with the social worker at your daughter's clinic? They might have some suggestions as to what your next steps should be. So sorry you have to deal with this.

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

NYCLawGirl

I am not a CA lawyer, but yes employers can stop paying for insurance and disrupt otherwise available COBRA coverage.

I really advise calling Beth Sufian at the CF Legal Hotline -- she provides free legal advice for CFers dealing with insurance, public health programs, and other issues. You don't want to be without coverage for long b/c beyond the money, it also has implications for your child's future insurability. There may be some way to expedite benefits through GHPP (no idea) or to apply for other state or federal benefits for your daughter. This is EXACTLY why the hotline is around. PLEASE contact it ASAP.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/</a>

NYCLawGirl

I am not a CA lawyer, but yes employers can stop paying for insurance and disrupt otherwise available COBRA coverage.

I really advise calling Beth Sufian at the CF Legal Hotline -- she provides free legal advice for CFers dealing with insurance, public health programs, and other issues. You don't want to be without coverage for long b/c beyond the money, it also has implications for your child's future insurability. There may be some way to expedite benefits through GHPP (no idea) or to apply for other state or federal benefits for your daughter. This is EXACTLY why the hotline is around. PLEASE contact it ASAP.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/</a>

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />I really advise calling Beth Sufian at the CF Legal Hotline -- she provides free legal advice for CFers dealing with insurance, public health programs, and other issues. You don't want to be without coverage for long b/c beyond the money, it also has implications for your child's future insurability. There may be some way to expedite benefits through GHPP (no idea) or to apply for other state or federal benefits for your daughter. This is EXACTLY why the hotline is around. PLEASE contact it ASAP.
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/">http://www.cff.org/LivingWithCF/CFLegalHotline/</a>