law against this?/husband unemployed/COBRA not an option

ojaioluxmommy

We're in a REALLY bad situation with insurance. My husbands company told him at the beginning of the month that he would be laid-off, but they didn't mention anything about us not being eligible for health care through COBRA. This came about on Wednesday when I asked my husband to inquire about how we apply for COBRA. When he spoke with the COBRA lady, she told him that we would not be able to receive it because the company will no longer be paying into a group plan. At this point we are STILL waiting to hear from his company as to whether or not our insurance will end on April 1st, or will continue throughout the month of April, or what? We are working on applying for CCS and then GHPP(California) for our daughter(4 with CF), but we cannot even send in the application until we can give them an exact date and letter from the insurance company and my husbands company stating the date coverage will end. This all seems absurdly wrong and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any law against it, or if you have any other advice?????
Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

We're in a REALLY bad situation with insurance. My husbands company told him at the beginning of the month that he would be laid-off, but they didn't mention anything about us not being eligible for health care through COBRA. This came about on Wednesday when I asked my husband to inquire about how we apply for COBRA. When he spoke with the COBRA lady, she told him that we would not be able to receive it because the company will no longer be paying into a group plan. At this point we are STILL waiting to hear from his company as to whether or not our insurance will end on April 1st, or will continue throughout the month of April, or what? We are working on applying for CCS and then GHPP(California) for our daughter(4 with CF), but we cannot even send in the application until we can give them an exact date and letter from the insurance company and my husbands company stating the date coverage will end. This all seems absurdly wrong and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any law against it, or if you have any other advice?????
Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

Thank you!-Holly

ojaioluxmommy

<br />Thank you!-Holly

M

Mommafirst

I'm not a legal expert, so I don't know. But please please please call your CF social worker ASAP. I know our social worker would be extremely helpful in this type of situation.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It seems to me that the company would be required to offer cobra for a certain amount of time -- what an injustice if they can just fire you and cut off your ability to have access to health care as well. ((((HUGS)))) I hope you get this figured out soon.

M

Mommafirst

I'm not a legal expert, so I don't know. But please please please call your CF social worker ASAP. I know our social worker would be extremely helpful in this type of situation.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It seems to me that the company would be required to offer cobra for a certain amount of time -- what an injustice if they can just fire you and cut off your ability to have access to health care as well. ((((HUGS)))) I hope you get this figured out soon.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It seems to me that the company would be required to offer cobra for a certain amount of time -- what an injustice if they can just fire you and cut off your ability to have access to health care as well. ((((HUGS)))) I hope you get this figured out soon.

ojaioluxmommy

Thanks for your comments. I did contact the social worker and she is definitely helping us out a lot. It's looking like if they will not pay for the month of April we will just have no insurance until we qualify for one of the programs I mentioned. Fortunately my daughter has been very healthy and strong lately....meaning we don't see a hospital visit in the near future, but this is CF. You never know, and I just don't feel comfortable with her uninsured period, even if she didn't have CF. And medications? We were advised to stock up??? But I don't see us being able to stock up much if her insurance ends this month. I NEVER thought we would be in this situation. I hate not knowing what will happen and when it will happen.

ojaioluxmommy

Thanks for your comments. I did contact the social worker and she is definitely helping us out a lot. It's looking like if they will not pay for the month of April we will just have no insurance until we qualify for one of the programs I mentioned. Fortunately my daughter has been very healthy and strong lately....meaning we don't see a hospital visit in the near future, but this is CF. You never know, and I just don't feel comfortable with her uninsured period, even if she didn't have CF. And medications? We were advised to stock up??? But I don't see us being able to stock up much if her insurance ends this month. I NEVER thought we would be in this situation. I hate not knowing what will happen and when it will happen.

ojaioluxmommy

ojaioluxmommy

ojaioluxmommy