Learning about CF

Nudad

I just found out My wife is a carrier of the SF gene today. She is 3 months with our first. I went strait to the DR. and began the BW to find out if I have the gene. I asked my sister (who just had a baby) if she had the gene. She said she tested negative. Could that mean I may also not have it? Thank you for any info...

Nudad

I just found out My wife is a carrier of the SF gene today. She is 3 months with our first. I went strait to the DR. and began the BW to find out if I have the gene. I asked my sister (who just had a baby) if she had the gene. She said she tested negative. Could that mean I may also not have it? Thank you for any info...

Nudad

Nudad

Nudad

JazzysMom

Before you go by what you sister said.....you need to find out how many they tested her for. Often it is the basic panel which is a drop in the bucket considering there are over 1500 known ones.

The basic panel covers the most common ones, but it does not by any means rule out you being a carrier.

I would suggest finding out what test she had & still get tested beyond that. Even if your sis is NOT a carrier that doesnt guarantee that you wont be.

JazzysMom

Before you go by what you sister said.....you need to find out how many they tested her for. Often it is the basic panel which is a drop in the bucket considering there are over 1500 known ones.

The basic panel covers the most common ones, but it does not by any means rule out you being a carrier.

I would suggest finding out what test she had & still get tested beyond that. Even if your sis is NOT a carrier that doesnt guarantee that you wont be.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />The basic panel covers the most common ones, but it does not by any means rule out you being a carrier.
<br />
<br />I would suggest finding out what test she had & still get tested beyond that. Even if your sis is NOT a carrier that doesnt guarantee that you wont be.

GordonsGirl

I would reiterate what Melissa said. I am also three months pregnant, and we used donor sperm (not from my CF husband). Both the donor and I tested negative as carriers, but they don't test for every genetic mutation. Anyone can still be surprised with a CF baby. It is far more common than people realize. At three months your wife should be able to get a test on the fetus rather than just testing the two of you. If it's really important to you to know ahead of time, I would suggest trying to do some prenatal testing on the fetus. Even if you and your wife are carriers, don't assume your baby will have it.
Congrats on the incoming baby! I want to tell you not to worry too much about things like this, but I am at the exact same spot and I am going crazy with worries about safe baby furniture, nutrition, and what it will be like to have a teenager in 15 years...

Good luck!

GordonsGirl

I would reiterate what Melissa said. I am also three months pregnant, and we used donor sperm (not from my CF husband). Both the donor and I tested negative as carriers, but they don't test for every genetic mutation. Anyone can still be surprised with a CF baby. It is far more common than people realize. At three months your wife should be able to get a test on the fetus rather than just testing the two of you. If it's really important to you to know ahead of time, I would suggest trying to do some prenatal testing on the fetus. Even if you and your wife are carriers, don't assume your baby will have it.
Congrats on the incoming baby! I want to tell you not to worry too much about things like this, but I am at the exact same spot and I am going crazy with worries about safe baby furniture, nutrition, and what it will be like to have a teenager in 15 years...

Good luck!

GordonsGirl

Good luck!

GordonsGirl

Good luck!

GordonsGirl

<br />Congrats on the incoming baby! I want to tell you not to worry too much about things like this, but I am at the exact same spot and I am going crazy with worries about safe baby furniture, nutrition, and what it will be like to have a teenager in 15 years...
<br />
<br />Good luck!