Learning or Memory Deficits in Children After NICU or ICU?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
My son had surgery when he was first born and spent weeks in NICU. Ever since he was a baby, I have noticed instances where he seemed to "lose" track of time, although brief. And I have seen other things that seem to indicate he has some short term memory issues, or issues transferring material to long term memory. I'm not sure even how to describe what I see. I have seen people who recover from comas or other ICU events, have not dissimilar problems. Has anyone noticed similar issues in their children? Anyone pursued it to determine what is happening and why? If it's related? perhaps to pain killers? anesthetic? insertion of a PICC line in the head as they sometimes do with infants? anything?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
How old is he? If he's school age, probably just a matter of him choosing to remember what's important to him. Mine drives me nuts --- can remember specific details of a show he watched months, years ago or video games -- yet go over a math problem...

jshet

My son has many special needs and something you said caught my eye. You said he seems to loose track of time. Do you notice if he seems to stare blankly at times, even for just very short periods of time.? I wonder if he has had a EEG before or more importantly lately? He may be having absent seizures. These are not what we typically think of when we think of a seizure. Absent seizures tend to be brief, easily missed, and can happen a few times a day to hundreds. They typically look like just spacing out. They stop doing whatever it is they are doing and just kinda space out for a few seconds to about a minute and then just resume what they are doing without realizing what has happened. While they are having one you are unable to bring them out of it like you can if someone is just spacing out, like calling their name or waving your hand in front of their face. They can feel like they lost time, or have difficulty with memory.
it may be worth mentioning to his pediatrician. In the meantime, watch and see if you notice any of these signs. The good news is these seizures are easily treated and kids usually outgrow them.
good luck,
Janelle

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hmmm. Sometimes he will ask how we got where we are. Or he'll just say Sorry, I "blanked out, what did you say?" It's momentary. I've never caught him where I couldn't get his attention. Not sure what to think of it! The memory issues are more obvious but still subtle.