Leftover medications.

Oboe

I've been doing some cleaning around my house and realize that I have a lot of leftover medication. For a while my doctor was prescribing me a third more Creon than I actually took and eventually it just stockpiled because I couldn't hold my other monthly deliveries. Then I switched to Pertzye anyway. Of course, there's having some extra for just in case but I have at least two months' worth just sitting around. I also have a bunch of unused Colistin and sterile water for mixing that I had to stop taking because I couldn't tolerate it. I know with medical supplies like unused syringes and saline flushes and the like can be donated and end up helping relief causes, but these are prescription meds and fairly niche prescription meds at that. Seems a waste to just throw out thousands of dollars worth of meds, too.

Any ideas as to what I can do with them?

nmw0615

Our local hospital/medical clinic does a "prescription drop off," usually twice a year, where we can take any and all unused medications. I think I've heard Walgreens may do this, too. I'd suggest searching your city, or a city near you, and "prescription medication drop off." Hope this helps!

Oboe

I'd suggest searching your city, or a city near you, and "prescription medication drop off."

The only one here appears to be at the city police station where I presume they just destroy them. I was hoping to get them to someone who might actually use them, but I guess this is an option if nothing else pans out. Had a thought last night to call the clinic I went to as a kid. We don't have proper CF clinics here, only outreach appointments with doctors from another city. Maybe they have some kids who need them. I'll also give the local hospital a ring. Thanks for the advice.

S

stephen

You might try asking your CF Center if they could use the leftover medications you have.

My CF Center was was happy to get extra unexpired drugs like TOBI, Pulmozyme, and Advair that I wasn't going to use. They gave them to other patients who didn't have great insurance.