Life Insurance

anonymous

I read on here that some with cf , have life insurance. I was told this was impossible, because of the cf. Are there companies out there that will do this?

buggygurl321

we were lucky enough to sign all of our girls on for life insurance as toddlers....little did we know that years later we'd find out that our oldest had cf. we were told once you have life insurance you will always be able to have life insurance. anyone hear anything different?

anonymous

Just for fun, I applied once. I was, of course, denied.

With my former job, I had a free $25,000 policy, but it was for accidental death situations and specifically excluded pre-existing health conditions. It was more "got hit by a bus" insurance.

I hear that threre is insurance out there for people with serious illness, like cancer. However, I believe that many of those are high premium policies that you can apply for a certain number of years after diagnosis. The idea being that the longer you have survived after diagnosis, the more likely you are to survive long term. You are still a much higher insurance risk than a healthy person (thus the higher monthly premium) but they don't expect you to die next week, so they will cover you.

I'd love to know if anyone has found a life insurance that would take us CF'ers. Premiums might be unbearably high, but I'd like to look into it.

RJ

anonymous

I was fortunate enough to have had an insurance agent looking after our future back in 1975. I had a $10,000 policy before either of my boys were born that included any future children that I might have up until they were 21. There was a clause saying that we would be able to turn over this policy before their 21st birthday into a policy for them, no questions asked. I kept leaving myself messages to do just this before his birthday as we only had 30 days in which to do it before his 21st birthday. Sadly I had to make a claim on this insurance just this past week as my beloved son passed away at the age of 27 on May 15. Matt received a double lung transplant on May 1st. and never awoke to be able to use these new lungs. Infection set in and there was nothing that could be done. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement and right now it just doesn't seem possible that this has happened, I am still waiting for him to come through that door or down the stairs.
One thing has happened also with another insurance I had through my employment which I find hard to believe happened. I called them to find out if there was an insurance policy on my son and was told yes there was a $10,000 policy, I double checked with them and asked if they were sure because I was of the understaing that there was perhaps a $2,000 policy, they answered yes there was definately $10,000. That afternoon I went to make funeral arrangements based on this amount and picked out everything that I wanted for my son. Next morning I received a call from the insurance company telling me that there had been a letter send out back in 1995 saying that because of his current medical problems insurance was declined and that they were sorry we had been told the wrong information the day previous. I told them that there very well could have been a letter sent that is why I phoned to double check before making arrangements for his funeral. Either way my son had the service that he deserved regardless of this terrible mistake made by the insurance company.

anonymous

I have a $110,000 policy through Prudential, I got it when I was 27 and am now 40. The premiums are higher than they would be for someone without CF, but for me and my family, it is worth it. I pay around $700/year. Their website is www.prudential.com. Good luck!

Kim
40 w/cf

anonymous

The best thing we did for our daughter Avery was put her on a premium apb policy at 4 months of age. We only got $25,000 but when she turns 21 and every three years after until she is 40 she will get a $50k increase in her coverage. At the same price of what we are paying now. We did not know at the time what we know now or the premium would be extremely high. As soon as we found out about Avery we got our son on the same plan at 3 weeks. We got ours through Northwestern Mutual.

Chuck father to Avery 21-months w/cf, and Rhett 3-months carrier

buggygurl321

No words could ever be comforting to you at this painful time. I am so sorry for your loss and I will keep you in my prayers. As devastating your loss, I know that you will always be close to your son and be blessed with the memories of his beautiful face. God bless you and take care. Gwen (Buggygurls mom)

anonymous

Anonymous, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I know nothing I can say will comfort you, but just know that we are here to talk if you ever wish or need to.

Julie (wife to Mark 24 w/CF)