Living in the "big city"..

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey everyone,

You may have read in an older thread that we are moving to San Antonio Texas for my husband's job. It's a done deal, he's already there working, and looking for a house.

I was just reading on the American Lung Association's website about air quality. It ranks cities in 3 areas: High ozone days, Particle pollution-24 hour, Particle pollution-annual. San Antonio gets an "F" in terms of high ozone days. Ugh. My current city gets an "A" in that area. In terms of particle pollution-24 hr, San Antonio gets an "A", whereas my current city gets a "B". Both San Antonio and my current city "pass" in terms of particle pollution-annual.

So, the big difference is the high ozone days. To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what that means. Is it possible the further out into the suburbs we get, the pollution would improve? The website also says that almost every major city gets an "F" in terms of ozone. So, I'm assuming that most CFers living in major cities deal with the same or similar air quality issues. If anyone has any insight/thoughts/experiences on this subject, I would love to hear about it.

I'm beyond stressed moving from a place with an "A" rating to a place with and "F". Wondering why in the world I didn't look this up earlier. I did, however, talk to my CF doc about the move before we committed to anything. His sister lives in SA and he has spent a lot of time there and said it was a great place to live. He didn't mention any concerns about air quality. I intend to talk to him about it next week at clinic.

Thanks a bunch!!

Autumn 33 w/CF

ymikhale

My dd has an issue with air quality. We are in Paris, very polluted by small particles. she is sensitive b/c she has hyperactive airways, so the pollution gives her a kind of permanent dry cough. Strangely, when there is a pollution peak, most of the time the cough does not get worse, so go figure. I know that dry oceanside climate suits her better, but that varies from person to person. The point is, simply moving to a more polluted place will not necessarily make you feel worse, dépends on your sensitivity I guess (my dd did not havey any issues until 3 y/o). On the positive side, at least in our case, being in the city means being very close to a good CF hospital, so we can be really reactive when problems arise (for instance doing a sputum culture when feeling not well instead of relying on an previous one).

Bill B

Hey Autumn,

I moved to Los Angeles from Cleveland, Ohio 22 years ago, and I honestly don't think the poorer air quality can be related any decline in my health. I reccomend getting an air cleaner/purifier for your bedroom. That way you get filtered air for a good 8 hours per day. And the rest of the time, don't worry too much about it. Congrats on your husband's new job.

Bill

(Age 40/ CF/ Post DX)

triples15

Super Moderator
Thanks a bunch guys!

I appreciate the input. Really hoping it doesn't have an impact, would stink to have to move back a short time later. Only time will tell I guess. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion and and kind words Bill!!! I have an air purifier we run in our living now, but will have to invest in one for the bedroom.

thanks again!

Autumn

W

welshwitch

Hi Autumn!

Yeah, I wouldn't be stressing about this either. I checked out the website and my city/area gets an "F" too (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area….right by the ocean….and I think the air quality and fog is pretty OK!) I feel like it's you're damned if you do, and your damned if you don't. Like others have mentioned, if you live in the boonies in the middle of no where with "good" air quality, you're too far away from a decent CF center. But if you live in an urban area close to good medical facilities, it's polluted.

I think what really matters is how proactive you are about moving all the toxic stuff out of your lungs….exercise , lifestyle, keeping stress level manageable, eating a good diet, etc. etc…..