Long Term Antibiotics

zamanka

Hello, my husband had a late CF diagnosis and he is pancreatic sufficient,
he is on Azythrimicin for a few years and doctors tell him to continue taking it.
Is it ok? Does it damage the liver?
I'm a bit worried if something wrong, because he had Hepotitis A in the past and he is constantly feeling discomfort on his back on the right side and has some bad rashes on his scin (doctor said it's fungus but we both don't think so as when he stopped talking antibiotics once the rashes dissapear, creams doesnt help much as well.).
His clinic made a scan of his liver a few month ago and they said he got a fatty liver and adviced to change a diet and that's it.
Is it normal to take antibiotics for years? Do you all here doing the same? Is it not dangerous??

thank you so much!

zamanka

Hello, my husband had a late CF diagnosis and he is pancreatic sufficient,
he is on Azythrimicin for a few years and doctors tell him to continue taking it.
Is it ok? Does it damage the liver?
I'm a bit worried if something wrong, because he had Hepotitis A in the past and he is constantly feeling discomfort on his back on the right side and has some bad rashes on his scin (doctor said it's fungus but we both don't think so as when he stopped talking antibiotics once the rashes dissapear, creams doesnt help much as well.).
His clinic made a scan of his liver a few month ago and they said he got a fatty liver and adviced to change a diet and that's it.
Is it normal to take antibiotics for years? Do you all here doing the same? Is it not dangerous??

thank you so much!

Incomudrox

The long term effects of ANZ likely outweigh possible liver disease. Is it possible to get liver diseases from it yes sure, however far less likely than doing long term anti-fungal or Myco treatments. You may look into taking a Milkthistle or other liver supporting supplement if you're worried about the ANZ that much. Hope this helps.

Incomudrox

The long term effects of ANZ likely outweigh possible liver disease. Is it possible to get liver diseases from it yes sure, however far less likely than doing long term anti-fungal or Myco treatments. You may look into taking a Milkthistle or other liver supporting supplement if you're worried about the ANZ that much. Hope this helps.

musclemania70

incomudrox---i am starting vfend and steroids. i had never heard of taking a liver supporting supplement before so I bought some today.
have you taken the liver supplement at the same time you were being treated with anbx or antifungals?
I was wondering if the liver supplement would in any way inhibit the effectiveness of the rx drugs.
I do intend to call my pharmacist to ask them but I wanted to get more info from you about it if you had any more details.
THANKS

musclemania70

incomudrox---i am starting vfend and steroids. i had never heard of taking a liver supporting supplement before so I bought some today.
have you taken the liver supplement at the same time you were being treated with anbx or antifungals?
I was wondering if the liver supplement would in any way inhibit the effectiveness of the rx drugs.
I do intend to call my pharmacist to ask them but I wanted to get more info from you about it if you had any more details.
THANKS

Incomudrox

@ Musclemania it shouldn't have any impart of the efficacy of the antibiotics you will be taking. Milkthistle for example as well as curcumin act as food to the liver to help the proliferation parenchymal cells which is a majority of what the liver is made up of. The liver doesn't treat them as a toxin so it shouldn't reduce the antibiotics effectiveness. You may also ask your doctor about Xoliar as it can in some cases lessen the duration of steroid treatment as well as the amount of steroids. If you don't already have CFRD this is valuable to you.

Incomudrox

@ Musclemania it shouldn't have any impart of the efficacy of the antibiotics you will be taking. Milkthistle for example as well as curcumin act as food to the liver to help the proliferation parenchymal cells which is a majority of what the liver is made up of. The liver doesn't treat them as a toxin so it shouldn't reduce the antibiotics effectiveness. You may also ask your doctor about Xoliar as it can in some cases lessen the duration of steroid treatment as well as the amount of steroids. If you don't already have CFRD this is valuable to you.

ONELIFETOLIVE

I was diagnosed at age 54 and now 10 years later, I have been on different antibiotics constantly for about 15 years. Started out with Doxycycline for years. Now I switch off every month between SMZ, & Doxy. When I get sick I use one of the following. Levaquin, Zithromax, Biaxin. I worry more about Kidney's being compromised.

ONELIFETOLIVE

I was diagnosed at age 54 and now 10 years later, I have been on different antibiotics constantly for about 15 years. Started out with Doxycycline for years. Now I switch off every month between SMZ, & Doxy. When I get sick I use one of the following. Levaquin, Zithromax, Biaxin. I worry more about Kidney's being compromised.

zamanka

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ONELIFETOLIVE</b></i> I was diagnosed at age 54 and now 10 years later, I have been on different antibiotics constantly for about 15 years. Started out with Doxycycline for years. Now I switch off every month between SMZ, & Doxy. When I get sick I use one of the following. Levaquin, Zithromax, Biaxin. I worry more about Kidney's being compromised.</end quote>

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Why do you switch them every month?
Is Zithromax more powerful drug rather then Doxy? Why you use Zithromax only when get sick?
My husband was on Flucloxalin before but because of his rashed Doctor switched him to Zithromax (rashes is still there even after switch).
So do you have side effects after taking antibiotics for 15 years?
Is it normal practic for CF?

zamanka

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ONELIFETOLIVE</b></i> I was diagnosed at age 54 and now 10 years later, I have been on different antibiotics constantly for about 15 years. Started out with Doxycycline for years. Now I switch off every month between SMZ, & Doxy. When I get sick I use one of the following. Levaquin, Zithromax, Biaxin. I worry more about Kidney's being compromised.</end quote>

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Why do you switch them every month?
Is Zithromax more powerful drug rather then Doxy? Why you use Zithromax only when get sick?
My husband was on Flucloxalin before but because of his rashed Doctor switched him to Zithromax (rashes is still there even after switch).
So do you have side effects after taking antibiotics for 15 years?
Is it normal practic for CF?

zamanka

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Incomudrox</b></i> The long term effects of ANZ likely outweigh possible liver disease. Is it possible to get liver diseases from it yes sure, however far less likely than doing long term anti-fungal or Myco treatments. You may look into taking a Milkthistle or other liver supporting supplement if you're worried about the ANZ that much. Hope this helps.</end quote>

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Next time we're going to Doctor I will ask him about liver supporting supplements.

zamanka

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Incomudrox</b></i> The long term effects of ANZ likely outweigh possible liver disease. Is it possible to get liver diseases from it yes sure, however far less likely than doing long term anti-fungal or Myco treatments. You may look into taking a Milkthistle or other liver supporting supplement if you're worried about the ANZ that much. Hope this helps.</end quote>

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Next time we're going to Doctor I will ask him about liver supporting supplements.

Incomudrox

The reason CFers take ANZ is because it inhibits PA's ability to use quorum sensing to determine the size of its population. Without knowing how big it is, it is less likely to get larger and spread as with quorum sensing knocked out by ANZ the bacteria are un-able to talk to each other. When this happens usually the bacteria will also produce a weaker bio-film as a result giving way for standard CF antibiotics (mainly inhaled). ANZ also encourage cellular apoptosis in the bronchial airway cells which is crucial for forming of new health tissue that isn't infected. It also has some mechanisms against gram positive bacteria (MSSA). So its uses are really multiple.

Incomudrox

The reason CFers take ANZ is because it inhibits PA's ability to use quorum sensing to determine the size of its population. Without knowing how big it is, it is less likely to get larger and spread as with quorum sensing knocked out by ANZ the bacteria are un-able to talk to each other. When this happens usually the bacteria will also produce a weaker bio-film as a result giving way for standard CF antibiotics (mainly inhaled). ANZ also encourage cellular apoptosis in the bronchial airway cells which is crucial for forming of new health tissue that isn't infected. It also has some mechanisms against gram positive bacteria (MSSA). So its uses are really multiple.