Looking for answers

scemt

I'm not a parent but my nephew is being tested. My sister has had a lot of problems with her children. my 4 yr old neice grew out of her asthma and bronchitis but my newphew hasn't. He's been hospitallized several times. the sweat test was inconclusive due to not producing sweat. I just don't know how this could happen to such a sweet little boy. Can anyone tell me the life expectancy or anything like that? This families been through so much and this is just another blow.

scemt

I'm not a parent but my nephew is being tested. My sister has had a lot of problems with her children. my 4 yr old neice grew out of her asthma and bronchitis but my newphew hasn't. He's been hospitallized several times. the sweat test was inconclusive due to not producing sweat. I just don't know how this could happen to such a sweet little boy. Can anyone tell me the life expectancy or anything like that? This families been through so much and this is just another blow.

scemt

Alyssa

Hello and welcome to the site. I'm sorry to hear about your nephew.

There is no clear cut answer to give you about life expectancy, there are just so many variables. There is the pat answer that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation puts out of 36 years old, but that is very misleading because it is a "median" age, which means if you line up all the ages of all the people currently living with CF (problem number one, because not everyone reports to the CFF) then age 36 is exactly in the middle -- half the people are younger and half the people are older. It doesn't really tell you what to expect.

Nobody can tell you for sure. It is true that babies & children die, however the number of adults living well past their 50's is also increasing. I know one man who is now 76 years old. He and his wife adopted children, he had a full career as an attorney and also spent time in the military. All the while battling lung and digestive issues and for many years without the correct diagnosis and treatments.

So try not to get too hung up on life expectancy (I know it's hard) and just focus on how to use the information, drugs and treatments available to help make his life as healthy as possible. The diagnosis of cystic fibrosis is never pleasant but it is to his benefit to know for sure what you are dealing with so he can receive the proper treatments -- people almost always do better after they are receiving the correct treatments for lung & digestive issues.

Are they going to do genetic testing now or try another sweat test? Read my blog (link is below) for information about "normal" sweat test numbers.

Best wishes, and please keep us posted.

Alyssa

There is no clear cut answer to give you about life expectancy, there are just so many variables. There is the pat answer that the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation puts out of 36 years old, but that is very misleading because it is a "median" age, which means if you line up all the ages of all the people currently living with CF (problem number one, because not everyone reports to the CFF) then age 36 is exactly in the middle -- half the people are younger and half the people are older. It doesn't really tell you what to expect.

Nobody can tell you for sure. It is true that babies & children die, however the number of adults living well past their 50's is also increasing. I know one man who is now 76 years old. He and his wife adopted children, he had a full career as an attorney and also spent time in the military. All the while battling lung and digestive issues and for many years without the correct diagnosis and treatments.

So try not to get too hung up on life expectancy (I know it's hard) and just focus on how to use the information, drugs and treatments available to help make his life as healthy as possible. The diagnosis of cystic fibrosis is never pleasant but it is to his benefit to know for sure what you are dealing with so he can receive the proper treatments -- people almost always do better after they are receiving the correct treatments for lung & digestive issues.

Are they going to do genetic testing now or try another sweat test? Read my blog (link is below) for information about "normal" sweat test numbers.

Alyssa