Looking for some Info for a friend

yoda111603

i was never tested when my wife got preg for my son cuz the docs told us that it is pointless if it wasnt gonna change our mind on having or not having the child. when my son was born in ny it is law they do cf tests aways and thats just the blood test that they draw from the foot that they have to draw anyways for other tests.

M

MCGrad2006

I don't know the entire story just what my mom told me...but I want to make sure so that *if* the child has CF he/she can be treated right away. I think that is the whole thing with the testing. At least if the Dad is not a carrier they will know the baby won't have CF. Whereas if he is, they can test the baby right away and start treatment.

M

MCGrad2006

I don't know the entire story just what my mom told me...but I want to make sure so that *if* the child has CF he/she can be treated right away. I think that is the whole thing with the testing. At least if the Dad is not a carrier they will know the baby won't have CF. Whereas if he is, they can test the baby right away and start treatment.

M

MCGrad2006

hmw

I completely agree, Caitlyn. Comprehensive testing is important in the interest of being fully informed- if it turned out both parents are carriers and they didn't want to find out during pregnancy if the baby had cf, they could still choose to deliver at a hospital that can take care of potential complications if necessary and test the baby for the mutations immediately without going through a prolonged, stressful, diagnostic process. Knowledge is power. It also shouldn't be left up to newborn screening- we've all seen too many cases here where that misses kids that go too long without a dx.

hmw

I completely agree, Caitlyn. Comprehensive testing is important in the interest of being fully informed- if it turned out both parents are carriers and they didn't want to find out during pregnancy if the baby had cf, they could still choose to deliver at a hospital that can take care of potential complications if necessary and test the baby for the mutations immediately without going through a prolonged, stressful, diagnostic process. Knowledge is power. It also shouldn't be left up to newborn screening- we've all seen too many cases here where that misses kids that go too long without a dx.

hmw

JORDYSMOM

I agree that finding out if both parents are carriers is important. It doesn't even have to be about deciding whether or not to continue the pregnancy. If they are, then the hospital/doctors can be prepared for any emergencies at birth. They can be looking for MI, so that if emergency surgery is needed, they are prepared for that.

Screenings are just that. It's not definitive testing, and each state's screening process is different. The less comprehensive ones may miss CF, and a child will go months or even years without being properly treated. We've seen it so often here.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I agree that finding out if both parents are carriers is important. It doesn't even have to be about deciding whether or not to continue the pregnancy. If they are, then the hospital/doctors can be prepared for any emergencies at birth. They can be looking for MI, so that if emergency surgery is needed, they are prepared for that.

Screenings are just that. It's not definitive testing, and each state's screening process is different. The less comprehensive ones may miss CF, and a child will go months or even years without being properly treated. We've seen it so often here.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />Screenings are just that. It's not definitive testing, and each state's screening process is different. The less comprehensive ones may miss CF, and a child will go months or even years without being properly treated. We've seen it so often here.
<br />
<br />Stacey