Lost your identity?

falbie13

I was just wondering if anyone has felt like they lost their identity since their transplant. Before my transplant I was the super skinny one, the sick one, the one who has perservered and accomplished what I set my mind too despite having this horrible disease,  now I am just like everyone else. I had my transplant a year and a half ago, and I still struggle with this. Does anyone else feel like this?

falbie13

I was just wondering if anyone has felt like they lost their identity since their transplant. Before my transplant I was the super skinny one, the sick one, the one who has perservered and accomplished what I set my mind too despite having this horrible disease, now I am just like everyone else. I had my transplant a year and a half ago, and I still struggle with this. Does anyone else feel like this?

falbie13

<p>I was just wondering if anyone has felt like they lost their identity since their transplant. Before my transplant I was the super skinny one, the sick one, the one who has perservered and accomplished what I set my mind too despite having this horrible disease, now I am just like everyone else. I had my transplant a year and a half ago, and I still struggle with this. Does anyone else feel like this?

coltsfan715

I am not sure what you mean by now you are just like everyone else. Do you mean not taking meds or not being constantly sick? or something else?

I haven't had the same feelings persay, but I do have a hard time because now my friends treat me like I am "all better." I have done very well since my transplant 4 years ago, but I have to remind my friends that it doesn't mean that I can't still get sick or that I don't have to worry about taking good care of myself. I think that maybe you aren't the skinny one anymore, which can be a good thing; maybe you aren't the sick one anymore, which is awesome. As for being the one who has persevered and accomplished what you set your mind too I think each person that deals with a chronic health "issue" is always that person. Regardless of whether or not you are sick or not you can still be the person who perseveres despite all the obstacles that lay before them.

Do you go to a support group or transplant buddies or something like that for people post transplant? If not something like that might be helpful. A lot of the times it is nice to have a group of people that can relate to the transplant experience, even if they don't have CF like us. When you go through something like this not really having good support from people that truly know what you might be dealing with can make it harder. I know many people that have felt like you are feeling, fortunately I haven't had this exact issue. I did have a hard time adjusting my body image when I started gaining weight back; also trying to realize what I could and should do versus what I couldn't and overcoming anxieties of doing things again, the things that I couldn't do for such a long time.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I am not sure what you mean by now you are just like everyone else. Do you mean not taking meds or not being constantly sick? or something else?

I haven't had the same feelings persay, but I do have a hard time because now my friends treat me like I am "all better." I have done very well since my transplant 4 years ago, but I have to remind my friends that it doesn't mean that I can't still get sick or that I don't have to worry about taking good care of myself. I think that maybe you aren't the skinny one anymore, which can be a good thing; maybe you aren't the sick one anymore, which is awesome. As for being the one who has persevered and accomplished what you set your mind too I think each person that deals with a chronic health "issue" is always that person. Regardless of whether or not you are sick or not you can still be the person who perseveres despite all the obstacles that lay before them.

Do you go to a support group or transplant buddies or something like that for people post transplant? If not something like that might be helpful. A lot of the times it is nice to have a group of people that can relate to the transplant experience, even if they don't have CF like us. When you go through something like this not really having good support from people that truly know what you might be dealing with can make it harder. I know many people that have felt like you are feeling, fortunately I haven't had this exact issue. I did have a hard time adjusting my body image when I started gaining weight back; also trying to realize what I could and should do versus what I couldn't and overcoming anxieties of doing things again, the things that I couldn't do for such a long time.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />I haven't had the same feelings persay, but I do have a hard time because now my friends treat me like I am "all better." I have done very well since my transplant 4 years ago, but I have to remind my friends that it doesn't mean that I can't still get sick or that I don't have to worry about taking good care of myself. I think that maybe you aren't the skinny one anymore, which can be a good thing; maybe you aren't the sick one anymore, which is awesome. As for being the one who has persevered and accomplished what you set your mind too I think each person that deals with a chronic health "issue" is always that person. Regardless of whether or not you are sick or not you can still be the person who perseveres despite all the obstacles that lay before them.
<br />
<br />Do you go to a support group or transplant buddies or something like that for people post transplant? If not something like that might be helpful. A lot of the times it is nice to have a group of people that can relate to the transplant experience, even if they don't have CF like us. When you go through something like this not really having good support from people that truly know what you might be dealing with can make it harder. I know many people that have felt like you are feeling, fortunately I haven't had this exact issue. I did have a hard time adjusting my body image when I started gaining weight back; also trying to realize what I could and should do versus what I couldn't and overcoming anxieties of doing things again, the things that I couldn't do for such a long time.
<br />
<br />Lindsey

summer732

I haven't had the same experience.

You are always going to be the one out of your group that people look up to and admire. You will always be the one that fought for survival and fought to live a healthy life. You have gone through an extraordinary experience. One that can never be taken away from you. You will forever be a survivor.

I know you have to sort of find your new role in your group and you will. Focus on all of the amazing things you are able to do now that you are healthy. Offer your unique perspective on life to whomever will listen. You can find your way with life after transplant and still maintain the fact that you have gone through an incredible amount to get to where you are.

summer732

You are always going to be the one out of your group that people look up to and admire. You will always be the one that fought for survival and fought to live a healthy life. You have gone through an extraordinary experience. One that can never be taken away from you. You will forever be a survivor.

I know you have to sort of find your new role in your group and you will. Focus on all of the amazing things you are able to do now that you are healthy. Offer your unique perspective on life to whomever will listen. You can find your way with life after transplant and still maintain the fact that you have gone through an incredible amount to get to where you are.

summer732

<br />
<br />You are always going to be the one out of your group that people look up to and admire. You will always be the one that fought for survival and fought to live a healthy life. You have gone through an extraordinary experience. One that can never be taken away from you. You will forever be a survivor.
<br />
<br />I know you have to sort of find your new role in your group and you will. Focus on all of the amazing things you are able to do now that you are healthy. Offer your unique perspective on life to whomever will listen. You can find your way with life after transplant and still maintain the fact that you have gone through an incredible amount to get to where you are.

azdesertrat

My illness and subsequent trans never defined who I am as an individual. I (because of my job) kept my illness secret from everyone except the closest of friends and family up to the time I became so bad off I couldn't hide it anymore. Since I was unable to work post-trans (which really pisses me off!) I couldn't care less who knows. My biggest problem is my trans clinic seems to have forgotten all about aftercare! They constantly pawn me off to my GP, stupid because every GP I've ever dealt with has been TERRIFIED of me, or shoved me off on my pulmo team. Thank God I have a fantsastic pulmo team. Don't ever let your medical condition(s) define who you are would be my best advice. Best of luck to you & yours. PS- I just had my 6th 'Tranniversary' on June 16.

azdesertrat

My illness and subsequent trans never defined who I am as an individual. I (because of my job) kept my illness secret from everyone except the closest of friends and family up to the time I became so bad off I couldn't hide it anymore. Since I was unable to work post-trans (which really pisses me off!) I couldn't care less who knows. My biggest problem is my trans clinic seems to have forgotten all about aftercare! They constantly pawn me off to my GP, stupid because every GP I've ever dealt with has been TERRIFIED of me, or shoved me off on my pulmo team. Thank God I have a fantsastic pulmo team. Don't ever let your medical condition(s) define who you are would be my best advice. Best of luck to you & yours. PS- I just had my 6th 'Tranniversary' on June 16.

azdesertrat