lowest lung function

Mr CFX

A question for you all. Would be nice if some of you can share as Im trying to gauge perspective and asking this for a reason.

This is for people with really low lung function or people who have at one point had really low lung function.

Can you please state the lowest lung function you have had ...and if you were on oxygen at the time and if so how many litres.

Can you also state how you feel/felt and how able were you e.g could walk for a good few mins either with o2 or without or just a few seconds etc

Im in the process of having a huge uphill battle and want to see if anyone has ever been as low or managed to have any kind of positive results etc

R

RytheStunner

I'm currently recovering from the flu, so I'm at my lowest lung function at 16%. My baseline is usually around 20-22% at the moment. I'm never on supplemental O2 as I maintain a consistent resting saturation level of about 95%, but I was on 2L of O2 when I was in the hospital for the flu because my O2 Sats were dropping to the high-80s, low-90s. I'm back up to about 95% though, so no need for O2.

Oboe

My last PFT was 21%. Really, I bounce between 20-25% pretty regularly and have for a couple of years. My lowest was 18% during an illness last year. I desat while walking for a few minutes, but I still get around pretty well without. I take the bus, do my own shopping and whatnot without oxygen. I do wear it when I sleep, though, at 2 liters.

I was doing pulmonary rehab and doing that just fine without oxygen as well before a hospitalization a couple of months ago. I need to get back into it.

If you want some advice, keep moving. Even if it's hard, even if you need the oxygen to do so, stay as active as you can. Ask your doctor about a pulmonary rehabilitation program, it really helps.

Mr CFX

This is brilliant input guys thank you so much

Im making a new thread right now so it becomes clear why I made this and please give your input in the other thread too

nakedjaxx

Hi. My FEV1 has always been 15%. I don't think it is an accurate measurement. I am 5'3 and only weight 80 lbs. I think my underweight has to contribute to my low FEV1.

I am currently on 2L oxygen 24/7.

I don't have CF but a restrictive lung disease. Does anyone else have a low FEV1?

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My son Jesse had FEV1 of 18 at clinic yesterday, but he's been between 20-25 lately. He's been on 1 1/2L O2 at night and when he exercises. He commutes to college for two classes (in the same building) and usually gets around ok without O2. This week he's needed 2L though.

Mr CFX

How much do you all weigh and how tall are you
As after reading all the results maybe i need to continue gaining weight and that will help me as if you guys are similar figures but can do more and are finding it okay as I was previously maybe its my weight that is causing the issue as I lost a lot compared to when I was in better condition

MichaelL

My baseline lung functions is usually between 45% and 50%. Last year I got really sick and my FEV1 dropped to 31%. Even though my oxygen saturation dropped to around 90% (from a normal close to 99%), they tested me and concluded I did not need oxygen. My weight is normally around 155 lbs, but I dropped to around 135 lbs during my hospital stay. My weight and lung function have since recovered.

Cubs fan Brian

Mine was 36% at my last testing, in April. It's stayed relatively stable for the last couple of years. I'm not on oxygen, my saturation is usually in the 93-95 range. I just have to take things really slow anymore or else I completely run out of breath and have to use the nebulizer or inhaler. I do go to pulmonary rehab twice a week (can't afford to go more often than that unfortunately) and that helps a lot but if summer finally gets to us here in Iowa I am going to try and start going for walks everyday. I can tell that being stuck inside so much this past winter has taken it's toll on me.

I'm 46 w/CF, diagnosed in 1968. 5'10, about 168-170 lbs. Before I started going to the clinic at the University of Iowa two years ago, I was lucky to get up to 135 lbs. Some days are tougher than others but I just sort of keep chugging along.

randmel89

My baseline is around 40%, although since being on Kalydeco I now run at a 55% baseline. My lowest was 28% no oxygen. I am 6 foot and weigh 190lbs.