lung biopsy

mich

I am going to be having a lung biopsy sometime this week. I'm looking for anyone who would be willing to share their experiences with me, both good and bad about their lung biopsy. I have no idea what to expect. I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow. I'm on oxygen and will be having general anesthesia. My fear is that I won't be able to be extubated (this is my paranoid thinking) and I'm very scared. I appreciate any feedback about people's experiences with lung biopsies.

Thank you,

Michelle

35 wcf

mich

I am going to be having a lung biopsy sometime this week. I'm looking for anyone who would be willing to share their experiences with me, both good and bad about their lung biopsy. I have no idea what to expect. I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow. I'm on oxygen and will be having general anesthesia. My fear is that I won't be able to be extubated (this is my paranoid thinking) and I'm very scared. I appreciate any feedback about people's experiences with lung biopsies.

Thank you,

Michelle

35 wcf

mich

Thank you,

Michelle

35 wcf

mich

Thank you,

Michelle

35 wcf

mich

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Thank you,
<br />
<br />Michelle
<br />
<br />35 wcf

falbie13

Hey Michelle,
I get bronchs frequently because I am post transplant, and can honestly say that I never had one before then. However, I do get general anesthesia when I do get them becaue I dont tolerate "twilight" sedation well. More then likely they will use a quick acting and quickly metabolizing anesthesia like propofol. Basically as soon as they stop the meds you start to wake up. ( I have witnessed this first hand because I am an ER nurse and we use it all the time) The bronch itself doesnt take very long, 15-30 minutes max. After the bronch I have had some coughing with mild hemoptysis (which is normal) and a bit of sore throat but other then that no problems.
I hope that answers your questions and helps put your mind at ease Good luck.

falbie13

Hey Michelle,
I get bronchs frequently because I am post transplant, and can honestly say that I never had one before then. However, I do get general anesthesia when I do get them becaue I dont tolerate "twilight" sedation well. More then likely they will use a quick acting and quickly metabolizing anesthesia like propofol. Basically as soon as they stop the meds you start to wake up. ( I have witnessed this first hand because I am an ER nurse and we use it all the time) The bronch itself doesnt take very long, 15-30 minutes max. After the bronch I have had some coughing with mild hemoptysis (which is normal) and a bit of sore throat but other then that no problems.

falbie13

Hey Michelle,

falbie13

Hey Michelle,

falbie13

Hey Michelle,
<br />I get bronchs frequently because I am post transplant, and can honestly say that I never had one before then. However, I do get general anesthesia when I do get them becaue I dont tolerate "twilight" sedation well. More then likely they will use a quick acting and quickly metabolizing anesthesia like propofol. Basically as soon as they stop the meds you start to wake up. ( I have witnessed this first hand because I am an ER nurse and we use it all the time) The bronch itself doesnt take very long, 15-30 minutes max. After the bronch I have had some coughing with mild hemoptysis (which is normal) and a bit of sore throat but other then that no problems.
<br />I hope that answers your questions and helps put your mind at ease Good luck.

JustDucky

What type of lung biopsy are they planning? About 6 years ago I had a VATS biopsy, or video assisted thoroscopic surgery where they used cameras and a scope to get a fair sized specimen. It was to look for interstitial disease at the time and before my CF dx. I too had general for it, was on O2 and my FEV at that time was in the low 40's. I don't think what I had is the same as what a person would get post transplant where they need a smaller sample and can do it under twilight sleep. I was able to be extubated and was hospitalized for 3 days because I required a chest tube for a the first day or so...If this sounds like what they are planning for you, I will be happy to answer any questions about what to expect, recovery etc....
Good luck,
Jenn

JustDucky

What type of lung biopsy are they planning? About 6 years ago I had a VATS biopsy, or video assisted thoroscopic surgery where they used cameras and a scope to get a fair sized specimen. It was to look for interstitial disease at the time and before my CF dx. I too had general for it, was on O2 and my FEV at that time was in the low 40's. I don't think what I had is the same as what a person would get post transplant where they need a smaller sample and can do it under twilight sleep. I was able to be extubated and was hospitalized for 3 days because I required a chest tube for a the first day or so...If this sounds like what they are planning for you, I will be happy to answer any questions about what to expect, recovery etc....
Good luck,
Jenn

JustDucky

Good luck,
Jenn

JustDucky

Good luck,
Jenn

JustDucky

<br />Good luck,
<br />Jenn