Lung Flare Up & Joint Pain

blindhearted

I was wondering if anyone has experienced joint pain when a flare up starts? The reason I am asking before I went into the hospital a few weeks ago, my ankles were hurting really bad. I figured I had turned them the wrong way or just over used them, and since I have Fibromyalgia it doesnt take much to over use them. However, when I started the IVs and began to feel better lung wise, my ankles were not hurting anymore. Now, I have been off of IVs for a week, and unfortunately think I am relapsing. My sats have dropped today, coughed up blood the other day, my sputum is darkening....and my ankles and wrist have started hurting for no real reason. I havent done anything to cause over usage. I don't have CF related Arthritis, to my knowledge. I'm not sure if they are connected or not, but I find the timing a little strange. Thanks.

blindhearted

I was wondering if anyone has experienced joint pain when a flare up starts? The reason I am asking before I went into the hospital a few weeks ago, my ankles were hurting really bad. I figured I had turned them the wrong way or just over used them, and since I have Fibromyalgia it doesnt take much to over use them. However, when I started the IVs and began to feel better lung wise, my ankles were not hurting anymore. Now, I have been off of IVs for a week, and unfortunately think I am relapsing. My sats have dropped today, coughed up blood the other day, my sputum is darkening....and my ankles and wrist have started hurting for no real reason. I havent done anything to cause over usage. I don't have CF related Arthritis, to my knowledge. I'm not sure if they are connected or not, but I find the timing a little strange. Thanks.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

<br />

Melissa75

Administrator
When I have an active infection, my joints hurt a lot and my ankles get first place like you, with hips, shoulders and wrists tying for third place. When the infection goes away, the ankles continue to hurt--I figure because I have used quinolone antibiotics almost exclusively for two years--I didn't need to new black box warning to tell me they caused tendonitis.
Anyway, inflammation is part of the body's response to infection (bloodwork shows an elevated sedimentation rate and elevated c-reactive protein).

Somewhat related: there is a documented link between arthritis and bronchiectasis (permanent damage from lung infections). When random people with arthritis were CT-scanned, they showed more bronchiectasis than people without arthritis. I am not positive for the rheumatoid arthritis factor, but I think that the lung infections are pushing me in that direction; I always wake up stiff and achy these days and the ankle pain is chronic.

Another cool fact is that anthropologists find more skeletons damaged by arthritis in generations AFTER a tuberculosis epidemic...like the ability to fight off TB is somehow linked to a predisposition to arthritis.

Strange huh?

Melissa75

Administrator
When I have an active infection, my joints hurt a lot and my ankles get first place like you, with hips, shoulders and wrists tying for third place. When the infection goes away, the ankles continue to hurt--I figure because I have used quinolone antibiotics almost exclusively for two years--I didn't need to new black box warning to tell me they caused tendonitis.
Anyway, inflammation is part of the body's response to infection (bloodwork shows an elevated sedimentation rate and elevated c-reactive protein).

Somewhat related: there is a documented link between arthritis and bronchiectasis (permanent damage from lung infections). When random people with arthritis were CT-scanned, they showed more bronchiectasis than people without arthritis. I am not positive for the rheumatoid arthritis factor, but I think that the lung infections are pushing me in that direction; I always wake up stiff and achy these days and the ankle pain is chronic.

Another cool fact is that anthropologists find more skeletons damaged by arthritis in generations AFTER a tuberculosis epidemic...like the ability to fight off TB is somehow linked to a predisposition to arthritis.

Strange huh?

Melissa75

Administrator

Strange huh?

Melissa75

Administrator

Strange huh?

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />Anyway, inflammation is part of the body's response to infection (bloodwork shows an elevated sedimentation rate and elevated c-reactive protein).
<br />
<br />Somewhat related: there is a documented link between arthritis and bronchiectasis (permanent damage from lung infections). When random people with arthritis were CT-scanned, they showed more bronchiectasis than people without arthritis. I am not positive for the rheumatoid arthritis factor, but I think that the lung infections are pushing me in that direction; I always wake up stiff and achy these days and the ankle pain is chronic.
<br />
<br />Another cool fact is that anthropologists find more skeletons damaged by arthritis in generations AFTER a tuberculosis epidemic...like the ability to fight off TB is somehow linked to a predisposition to arthritis.
<br />
<br />Strange huh?

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Melissa75</b></i>

Strange huh?</end quote></div>

Not strange sounding to me. Your remarks remind me that both arthritis and CF infections have an inflammatory component. Inflammation is largely rooted in excess acidity. So if you get too acid, it makes your lung problems worse and if you have joint problems it will make those worse too.

MicheleGazelle

Not strange sounding to me. Your remarks remind me that both arthritis and CF infections have an inflammatory component. Inflammation is largely rooted in excess acidity. So if you get too acid, it makes your lung problems worse and if you have joint problems it will make those worse too.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

Strange huh?</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />
<br />Strange huh?</end quote>
<br />
<br />Not strange sounding to me. Your remarks remind me that both arthritis and CF infections have an inflammatory component. Inflammation is largely rooted in excess acidity. So if you get too acid, it makes your lung problems worse and if you have joint problems it will make those worse too.

lightNlife

Same here with the joint pain. Sometimes I'll actually go to the ER for the joints and end up needing a tune-up. I think what happens is that when your O2 is struggling, the muscles and tendons around our main joints don't get what they need to work properly. But that's just a theory. I'll look into it.

One thing I've noticed is that although there's crippling pain, there's no swelling.

lightNlife

Same here with the joint pain. Sometimes I'll actually go to the ER for the joints and end up needing a tune-up. I think what happens is that when your O2 is struggling, the muscles and tendons around our main joints don't get what they need to work properly. But that's just a theory. I'll look into it.

One thing I've noticed is that although there's crippling pain, there's no swelling.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

<br />
<br />One thing I've noticed is that although there's crippling pain, there's no swelling.