Lung & Pancreas Transplant

Grendel

I've not been able to find much information on receiving a double lung tx and a pancreas as well. Is it common? I have CFRD and i expected there would be a degree of frequency for such a procedure, but I have only been able to find one occurrence in my searches.

Does anyone have know about this and or the frequency of occurrence?

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

I've not been able to find much information on receiving a double lung tx and a pancreas as well. Is it common? I have CFRD and i expected there would be a degree of frequency for such a procedure, but I have only been able to find one occurrence in my searches.

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

Thanks.
Grendel

Grendel

<br />
<br />Does anyone have know about this and or the frequency of occurrence?
<br />
<br />Thanks.
<br />Grendel

NYCLawGirl

Pancreas transplant isn't very common, and it's not -- to my knowledge -- a typical treatment for CFRD. I have cousins with type 1 diabetes, and i know that pancreas transplants are reserved for people with SERIOUS diabetic complications, including renal failure, and are almost always done in conjunction with a kidney transplant.

It's definitely not as simple as "oh, and while you're in there please replace my pancreas as well." If that were the case we would all get new lungs, livers, and pancreases at a minimum (major CF organs) and probably kidneys or even a heart while we were at it. The pancreas in particular is kind of a "gooey" organ, from what I understand...it's not really an easy transplant. I'm guessing at a minimum you would need two surgeons -- a thoracic transplant surgeon to perform the lung transplant and an abdominal transplant surgeon to perform the pancreas.

That said, I'm sure it's not unheard of for a CFer to get a pancreas transplant. I personally don't know anyone though.

NYCLawGirl

Pancreas transplant isn't very common, and it's not -- to my knowledge -- a typical treatment for CFRD. I have cousins with type 1 diabetes, and i know that pancreas transplants are reserved for people with SERIOUS diabetic complications, including renal failure, and are almost always done in conjunction with a kidney transplant.

It's definitely not as simple as "oh, and while you're in there please replace my pancreas as well." If that were the case we would all get new lungs, livers, and pancreases at a minimum (major CF organs) and probably kidneys or even a heart while we were at it. The pancreas in particular is kind of a "gooey" organ, from what I understand...it's not really an easy transplant. I'm guessing at a minimum you would need two surgeons -- a thoracic transplant surgeon to perform the lung transplant and an abdominal transplant surgeon to perform the pancreas.

That said, I'm sure it's not unheard of for a CFer to get a pancreas transplant. I personally don't know anyone though.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />It's definitely not as simple as "oh, and while you're in there please replace my pancreas as well." If that were the case we would all get new lungs, livers, and pancreases at a minimum (major CF organs) and probably kidneys or even a heart while we were at it. The pancreas in particular is kind of a "gooey" organ, from what I understand...it's not really an easy transplant. I'm guessing at a minimum you would need two surgeons -- a thoracic transplant surgeon to perform the lung transplant and an abdominal transplant surgeon to perform the pancreas.
<br />
<br />That said, I'm sure it's not unheard of for a CFer to get a pancreas transplant. I personally don't know anyone though.