Lysine and Tobi?

M

marcijo

I just finished up my 28 days of inhaled TOBI last friday. Today I got a cold sore so I decided to take 1000mg of lysine to help it go away (I haven't taken it before but my sister has). After I took it-I found this online at a few different websites:

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What other drugs will affect lysine? The following drugs may become toxic if you take them together with lysine. Tell your healthcare provider if you are using any of these:

gentamicin (Garamycin);
tobramycin (Nebcin, TOBI);
amikacin (Amikin);
kanamycin (Kantrex);
netilmicin (Netromycin);
neomycin (Mycifradin, Neo-Fradin, Neo-Tab);
netilmicin (Netromycin);
streptomycin; or
tobramycin (Nebcin, Tobi).
If you are using any of these drugs, you may not be able to take lysine, or you may need dosage adjustments or special tests during treatment.

This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with lysine. Tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.

Where can I get more information?
</end quote></div>

I immediately called my CF center and they said I will be fine-but not to take anymore until they check with the pharmacist. Is anyone else on Tobi and take Lysine for coldsores?

M

marcijo

I just finished up my 28 days of inhaled TOBI last friday. Today I got a cold sore so I decided to take 1000mg of lysine to help it go away (I haven't taken it before but my sister has). After I took it-I found this online at a few different websites:

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What other drugs will affect lysine? The following drugs may become toxic if you take them together with lysine. Tell your healthcare provider if you are using any of these:

gentamicin (Garamycin);
tobramycin (Nebcin, TOBI);
amikacin (Amikin);
kanamycin (Kantrex);
netilmicin (Netromycin);
neomycin (Mycifradin, Neo-Fradin, Neo-Tab);
netilmicin (Netromycin);
streptomycin; or
tobramycin (Nebcin, Tobi).
If you are using any of these drugs, you may not be able to take lysine, or you may need dosage adjustments or special tests during treatment.

This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with lysine. Tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.

Where can I get more information?
</end quote>

I immediately called my CF center and they said I will be fine-but not to take anymore until they check with the pharmacist. Is anyone else on Tobi and take Lysine for coldsores?

M

marcijo

<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What other drugs will affect lysine? The following drugs may become toxic if you take them together with lysine. Tell your healthcare provider if you are using any of these:
<br />
<br />gentamicin (Garamycin);
<br />tobramycin (Nebcin, TOBI);
<br />amikacin (Amikin);
<br />kanamycin (Kantrex);
<br />netilmicin (Netromycin);
<br />neomycin (Mycifradin, Neo-Fradin, Neo-Tab);
<br />netilmicin (Netromycin);
<br />streptomycin; or
<br />tobramycin (Nebcin, Tobi).
<br />If you are using any of these drugs, you may not be able to take lysine, or you may need dosage adjustments or special tests during treatment.
<br />
<br />This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with lysine. Tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
<br />
<br />Where can I get more information?
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />I immediately called my CF center and they said I will be fine-but not to take anymore until they check with the pharmacist. Is anyone else on Tobi and take Lysine for coldsores?

M

marcijo

I'm glad I did too!

They did call me back and said it was ok to take while on inhaled Tobi-but not on IV Tobi-so I am good to go.

I find it interesting because Lysine is an amino acid that is in certain foods.....so are you supposed to stay away from these foods too when on IV Tobi? Crazy!

M

marcijo

I'm glad I did too!

They did call me back and said it was ok to take while on inhaled Tobi-but not on IV Tobi-so I am good to go.

I find it interesting because Lysine is an amino acid that is in certain foods.....so are you supposed to stay away from these foods too when on IV Tobi? Crazy!

M

marcijo

I'm glad I did too!
<br />
<br />They did call me back and said it was ok to take while on inhaled Tobi-but not on IV Tobi-so I am good to go.
<br />
<br />I find it interesting because Lysine is an amino acid that is in certain foods.....so are you supposed to stay away from these foods too when on IV Tobi? Crazy!

theLostMiler

hmm, that makes me wonder if i've ever done this...
I used to use lysine ALL the time growing up with cold sores, but I never knew this...

I know use a prescription cream called Denavir, if you havent checked into it, I would... its soooooooo helpful (way better than abreva)...

Ive seen some other cold sore threads on here, so not sure if you've ever seen them, but yea... Denavir is great

(I have a friend who actually takes the genital herpes stuff, cant think of it now, starts with a "v" orally as soon as she feels one, and she says it really helps... thats what her doc gave her instead of the denavir)

theLostMiler

I used to use lysine ALL the time growing up with cold sores, but I never knew this...

I know use a prescription cream called Denavir, if you havent checked into it, I would... its soooooooo helpful (way better than abreva)...

Ive seen some other cold sore threads on here, so not sure if you've ever seen them, but yea... Denavir is great

(I have a friend who actually takes the genital herpes stuff, cant think of it now, starts with a "v" orally as soon as she feels one, and she says it really helps... thats what her doc gave her instead of the denavir)

theLostMiler

<br />I used to use lysine ALL the time growing up with cold sores, but I never knew this...
<br />
<br />I know use a prescription cream called Denavir, if you havent checked into it, I would... its soooooooo helpful (way better than abreva)...
<br />
<br />Ive seen some other cold sore threads on here, so not sure if you've ever seen them, but yea... Denavir is great
<br />
<br />(I have a friend who actually takes the genital herpes stuff, cant think of it now, starts with a "v" orally as soon as she feels one, and she says it really helps... thats what her doc gave her instead of the denavir)